Most Fun Plains Game to Hunt....?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
I just read the thread about game animals that people would not hunt and it was interesting. For a guy that has been over to Africa only once, I'd like to know some of that animals that were most fun to hunt. When I went over I has not going to hunt Zebra at first (Kudu, Oryx and Springbok were on the top of my list). But now I've done it, I'd rank Zebra over the other three for excitement and I'd go back and hunt zebra again. Not interested in trophy collections or the Big Five hunts here but what are some really fun plains game species to hunt? What would you go back for because of the experience? Impala? warthog? klipspringer? Others?

for PG my top two are warthog and kudu, with the pigs actually being my favorite. Just fun to stalk and there always seemed to be a lot of movement. Lots of fun.

Sometimes it is situational too though. I've always heard how easy Blesbuck were to hunt, but that was not my experience. I ended up taking a 250 yard shot because we weren't going to get closer than that.

Warthogs or Bushbuck for me!

I know this will sound cliché.... But all of my 10 PG animals were fun in their own way. All of it was kind of impromptu. I mean, I might have been hunting, hiking or stalking one thing.... then opportunity out of nowhere, something else would pop up/happen. All awesome!

All of my plains game were fun to hunt. From the miserable wet conditions on my stalk on my gemsbok to the hot and dry one on my springbuck. Even the 2 1/2 hours stalk and wait on my kudu was fun but then us hunters seam to have a warped sense of humor that way. By the way after I had bagged my gemsbok myself and PH took our boots off and wrung out our socks and let our feet dry out while we waited for a hour while the tracker brought the truck up to us.

All I have taken so far have been exciting and rewarding for me, but warthog, bushbuck and zebra remain the most vivid in my memory.

I obviously hunt PG a lot more than the average American hunter 'cos I live here... BUT, my all time favourites and which I ALWAYS try to hunt an every trip I do.. warthog and kudu!

Kudu would bring me back as well as Cape buffalo!

For me it was Kudu. I think because this was the most sought after, revered, and majestic animal that was on my list. For me, going to SA I would have been happy if that was the only animal I got. Kudu screams SA for me, for some its zebra, some warthog, some elephant, but for me Kudu represented Africa! Plus when I was hunting it was the hardest one to get on, and the longest and most challenging stalk, which of course made it the most rewarding.

I 100% agree that ANY PG in Africa is a special hunt.

But, kudu is number one for me. Grey ghost is more than a cool nickname ... it is earned! I have a series if three photo that my daughter took looking across a valley to a ridge about 100 yards away that was taken with a burst mode ... literally as fast as the camera (~$1000 bridge camera) could take consecutive photos. There are WHOLE kudu that disappear or appear between photos that are taken on this hill. We had other times that the PH, an apprentice PH, the tracker, and I glassed a hill for 30 minutes and decided to move on only to spook 5 kudu off the hill. This happened to be sooooo many times while hunting kudu ... I always had the feeling that if I kept looking I could find another kudu. Plus, they are just majestic ... 50 in +/- main beams beautiful coloration, manes, chevrons ... what is not to like?

Bushbuck would be number two for many of the same elusive reasons and a slightly less majestic presence.

The best ones have been the tough ones. Zebra are a wary animal, and if you're looking for a stallion, it can be a tough hunt. I've had easy giraffe and tough giraffe; when they're tough, they're a real hunt. Kudu have all been tough, and I've enjoyed them.

Do klipspringer and Vaal rhebok count as plains game? Hunting them in their native territory is tough, and worth every minute. Climbing those 'hills' is a young man's game, but there's nothing like trying to get your breathing under control before you take a long shot uphill!

I am always interested in these type of questions as we try and determine a single experience that stands above all others.

In most of the cases, it was not so much the species as the circumstance that made them stand out so much to me.

Spiral Horns, hands down. Kudu, Eland, Bushbuck and Nyala.

Tracking my first Eland was heart wrenching and exhilarating.

That 60 inch Kudu is calling to me.

Vaalies in the mountains, hmmmm. Got to do it again.

vaalie stalk.jpeg

Reedbuck stalking with the Bow seems to stand out for some reason.

IMG_3247.jpeg

It was the band of interlopers that made it kind of challenging. (It will never happen again)

IMG_3157.jpeg

Bushbuck with the Bow. What an absolute rush to get so close and have so many opportunities.
bushbuck bow.jpeg

This had to be one of the funniest. It was great fun too.
Taking a double on Zebra with a buddy. "You ready? Ok, on three. 1,2,3, Doof - Doof"

doof doof.jpeg

Crawling and sneaking for 300 yards through the grass and getting so close (20 yards).
All the while "Danny Glover" was laughing/snickering under his breath and shaking his head as though I were crazy. I wish I knew more Zulu. Apparently, most of the hunters never left the Baakie on this property. I was strange.

Nyala stalk.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I can't say I didn't enjoy any of the P I hunted. But, I will say I can't remember having more fun with a gun then "Baboon plinking" as my guide called. Shooting Baboons at 200-300 meters. It is also a quick way to deplete your ammo.

I always enjoyed hunting Gemsbock. Can't really say why but I really enjoyed it. Red Hartebeest a close second, very difficult to hunt, always knew we were there, loads of fun.

For me it is Bushbuck. Skittish, small, fast live in the dirty scrub and wait till you are almost on them before bolting into dirtier scrub. Your stalking skills and fitness will be tested. Baboons are also a real challenge

Warthog ! ......... only animal I shot at with my bow and missed ...... DAM RIGHT PIGS CAN FLY ! lol !
Glen

Kudu for me, although I would like to try again to get a bushbuck next time...

I like the ones with legs but im not picky and don't discriminate

Bushbuck, caracal with hounds and...wait for it....baboons.

Wow that's like asking which one of your kids is your favorite. ALL of them are my favorites. I, like you, have only been once. We hunted lion, buff, kudu, springbok x2, Impala, and zebra. All were fun and exciting and I can't say any was better than the other. Of course the DG was unbelievable but I enjoyed the plains game just as much. Just being in Africa hunting, actually standing there seeing the sights and hearing the sounds is what makes the trip. Hell I'd go back to hunt anything. It wouldn't matter if it were one of the tiny ten or an elephant it's all breath taking. Africa will always have a special place in my heart and I felt like I belonged there. Not a second goes by that I don't miss the bush and the good friends we made over there. I thought that by going it would make the sickness better but if anything it's a 1000x worse now as I know what I'm missing.

Ya know, the more of these responses I read the more I think ALL is the correct answer. Some may be more of a challenge, or deeper satisfaction because of a lifelong dream, but they are ALL truly special and I have some type of fond memory from everyone of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!