Most affordable North American species?

I guess my vision for this hunt would be in the wilderness, no one in sight and fair chase hunting.

That is an interesting concept. Antelope do live on the prairie but plenty are found in agricultural areas.

Mountain Mule Deer hunting is more like a Wilderness experience. There are some Whitetails starting to climb into the rocks though.
They are like vermin and they will invade any space they can.

I am still trying to relate to your experience of hunting: Comparing Highland Stags and Estate Stag hunting.

My issue with a bear hunt is that I dont really see the sport in waiting over a bait for a bear to come in.

I guess my vision for this hunt would be in the wilderness, no one in sight and fair chase hunting.

Then book a spot and stalk hunt. Many places do not allow bait at all anyway. Calling can be exciting too.

No one has mentioned Caribou. Not many places wilder than the tundra of northern Canada or Alaska and a good deal for 2 animals with 100%+ success as well. The only residents within 1000 miles are all mosquitos!!!

A caribou hunt would be an exceptional hunt but is more expensive then the other options presented. You can do a wilderness whitetail hunt. But from that the price starts going up as you go into the spot/stalk bear hunts, goats, carbiou, elk, etc. You can find a good wilderness experience hunting elk but your looking at 4,500$+ for a guided hunt. You can do a drop camp/unguided for like 1,500-2,000$ but again you'd need to know what your doing.

Please keep all the information coming guys.

You have to understand that I have no real idea or information on what hunting is like in NA. In the UK we are very crowded and have no wilderness to speak off left. We do have fantastic stalking in great countryside but I would like to try something different.

This hunt isn't in the immediate future but I would like an idea of what and where to look for when the time comes.

Please keep all the information coming guys.

You have to understand that I have no real idea or information on what hunting is like in NA. .............

By your standards, there is already nobody here!

If you flew from LHR to YYC, most of your flying time would be spent in Canadian airspace! :)

This should help you out a little more.
243,610 km² AREA OF THE UNITED KINGDOM -
64.1 MILLION

661,848 km² AREA OF ALBERTA -
4.1 MILLION PEOPLE

944,735 km² AREA OF BRITISH COLUMBIA -
4.63 MILLION PEOPLE

Just for kicks to show you some of the area that is public land in just two provinces in western Canada.
Walk on any time you want and go hunting (in season)

There is a huge amount of hunting that goes on on other types of public land within the white area as well. But, you'll get the idea.

public land alberta.jpg

public land bc.jpg

Living in BC bear hunting is spot and stock, I looked down on baiting for bears. Then I went to Alberta and helped set up bear camp for a guide. Had a chance to do the hole bait thing, I changed my mind it was a blast checking bait see what was coming in then siting and waiting. I changed my mind the whole baiting thing is a lot of fun

I have been blessed to be able to hunt Bears by spot and stalk in Southeast Alaska and British Columbia. Also behind hounds in New Mexico, but my favorite by far, is watching a bait and looking away for two seconds and a bear just seems to appear. Or seeing the big black "stump" you never noticed, suddenly move your way! Also there is no better way to observe and determine the size and sex of a bear, when watching him or her from a ground blind, a mere 15-20 paces away! And you think turkey hunting is a rush!! :Happy:. Kevin

A baited bear hunt is definitely more exciting than you would think. You also generally don't have to wake up early which is uncommon in the hunting world. I went on a spring black bear hunt last year and shot a really large/old boar. We saw him come over the top of the mountain, he would walk twenty yards, stop, look around and sniff the air. Then walk another twenty yards and repeat. Once he got down close to the bait he ran down to it snatched one piece and ran half way back up the mountain. Ate it, then did his whole twenty yard process again all the way down until he was back to the bait. It was really interesting to watch.

I never got a black bear, but for $1800 above....that price is great, damn cheap for a black bear hunt. I did go one year, 11 years back and the blue berries were thick and we all got skunked.
Caribou hunting is grand...but yes it's not cheap anymore. Not really the outfitters fault, prices on everything have soared through the roof. I'm glad I did it when it was affordable.

the northern third of Wisconsin is almost 70% public land with some of it that is wilderness area no wheeled vehicles allowed. If you bowhunt you can do a hunt where you won't ever see another person all week. In fact where we gun hunt I haven't seen another hunter in the woods in 7 years. Cost of your tag and lodging is all it would cost you but be prepared for low success rate and harsh conditions if you gun hunt. If you hunt hard I'd say there is a 50% chance of harvesting a animal.

Yes, if you are a meat hunter, Wisconsin is fine. A lot of the trophy whitetails you see in magazines are shot on private land, agriculture land and hard to access property. Northwoods hunting use to be good until the predator populations got out of control and they stopped all the wood cutting. Mature woods don't grow great wildlife diversity, it was a lot better years ago when there was a mix.

OK here is the deal in Wyoming. All antelope licenses are by drawing. If your a non-resident you apply in Jan or Feb. About 10% of the total available licenses are awarded to those that are not residents of Wyoming. Some units have more licenses than applicants. Those are available for purchase on a first come first served basis after the drawing. This year about July 8. The resident draw is done after the non-resident draw.
Most areas that have licenses left after the draw are for units with limited access. Lots of private property. Getting harder to get access. Sometimes access is available by paying a "trespassing fee" which allows access to a private ranch. Sometimes the game and fish dept. has lists of farmers that will allow access. Often this fee is less than $200. Lots of the landowners, especially bigger properties, have leased to outfittors. The outfittors guide hunters for a fee on those ranches. They are normally the only ones allowed to hunt that property. Non-residents can hunt for free on public land that has public access. Please note it is illegal to cross private property to access public land without permission from the landowner. In my local area the antelope get hit hard on opening day and usually move to private property to avoid most of the hunters. Some of our units have enough antelope that you can buy 2 licenses for any (buck) antelope and 2 for doe/fawn. This allows a bit more hunting on a trip to Wy.
A bit to the SE of me near Newcastle there is a bit more public land with better access than in my immediate area. Not sure if there are any leftover licenses for that area, You could easily check on line. Be aware that some units have limited antelope habitat. They are a prairie animals and don't live in steep mtns and heavy timber. So you have to be sure there are animals where you intend to hunt.
We have lots of antelope in our area. Most of the land is private. I have access to a large ranch that has about 70-80,000 acres. The ranch manager has become a personal friend. He doesn't like antelope as they tear up fences. I would be interested in trading a hunt there if someone has one to offer. This ranch would have other hunters on it early in the season. Less later on. There are always antelope somewhere on the ranch. The ranch is half in 1 unit and half in another. IF we get a good snowstorm in Oct it will cause the antelope to herd up, usually on his ranch. Have seen several hundred in late Oct when we have snow.
In my part of Wy there are VERY few true trophy antelope. Lots of good mature animals that are representative. Other parts of the state grow some bigger ones. For a book buck look at New Mexico.
Deer are done differently just to make things more confusing. Some areas hold mostly mule deer and some mostly whitetails. Deciding where and how can be a bit of a challenge. Lots more public land where there are mule deer. They tend to like the mtns. Some hunt units are by draw only and some have no quota and are called general hunt units. Residents can buy a license for a general hunt area anytime. There is a limit of one per hunter per year as a general rule.
If there is a limited quota then you have to apply just like for antelope and the same rules apply for leftover licenses. For a non-resident to hunt a general hunt unit they have to apply for a license that is good for that particular region. Then they can hunt any general unit in that region if they draw. The F@G limits the number of licenses available to a non-resident. I have places to take someone in both the Bighorns and the Black Hills should a traded hunt be available. Otherwise I will give some suggestions in either place where you might find a deer. To hunt in Wyoming's Wilderness area's a guide is required. Any resident can apply to be a "resident guide" for a non-resident hunter. No $$ can change hands unless they are a licensed guide. Then those hunts can add up. My son and I signed up to help a friend with some elk hunters on a pack-in trip into the wilderness years ago. There is a lot of public land to hunt deer on in Wy. Hiring a guide or paying a trespass fee increases the odds of finding a animal. You can do it yourself with a little research. Best of luck. Bruce

Excellent summary Bruce! Thank you for the useful info. Kevin

One mistake I made is that Wy has changed their application dates for non-residents. Now goes to the end of May for deer and antelope. Bruce

No one has mentioned Caribou. Not many places wilder than the tundra of northern Canada or Alaska and a good deal for 2 animals with 100%+ success as well. The only residents within 1000 miles are all mosquitos!!!

and Black Flies

OK here is the deal in Wyoming. All antelope licenses are by drawing. If your a non-resident you apply in Jan or Feb. About 10% of the total available licenses are awarded to those that are not residents of Wyoming. Some units have more licenses than applicants. Those are available for purchase on a first come first served basis after the drawing. This year about July 8. The resident draw is done after the non-resident draw.
Most areas that have licenses left after the draw are for units with limited access. Lots of private property. Getting harder to get access. Sometimes access is available by paying a "trespassing fee" which allows access to a private ranch. Sometimes the game and fish dept. has lists of farmers that will allow access. Often this fee is less than $200. Lots of the landowners, especially bigger properties, have leased to outfittors. The outfittors guide hunters for a fee on those ranches. They are normally the only ones allowed to hunt that property. Non-residents can hunt for free on public land that has public access. Please note it is illegal to cross private property to access public land without permission from the landowner. In my local area the antelope get hit hard on opening day and usually move to private property to avoid most of the hunters. Some of our units have enough antelope that you can buy 2 licenses for any (buck) antelope and 2 for doe/fawn. This allows a bit more hunting on a trip to Wy.
A bit to the SE of me near Newcastle there is a bit more public land with better access than in my immediate area. Not sure if there are any leftover licenses for that area, You could easily check on line. Be aware that some units have limited antelope habitat. They are a prairie animals and don't live in steep mtns and heavy timber. So you have to be sure there are animals where you intend to hunt.
We have lots of antelope in our area. Most of the land is private. I have access to a large ranch that has about 70-80,000 acres. The ranch manager has become a personal friend. He doesn't like antelope as they tear up fences. I would be interested in trading a hunt there if someone has one to offer. This ranch would have other hunters on it early in the season. Less later on. There are always antelope somewhere on the ranch. The ranch is half in 1 unit and half in another. IF we get a good snowstorm in Oct it will cause the antelope to herd up, usually on his ranch. Have seen several hundred in late Oct when we have snow.
In my part of Wy there are VERY few true trophy antelope. Lots of good mature animals that are representative. Other parts of the state grow some bigger ones. For a book buck look at New Mexico.
Deer are done differently just to make things more confusing. Some areas hold mostly mule deer and some mostly whitetails. Deciding where and how can be a bit of a challenge. Lots more public land where there are mule deer. They tend to like the mtns. Some hunt units are by draw only and some have no quota and are called general hunt units. Residents can buy a license for a general hunt area anytime. There is a limit of one per hunter per year as a general rule.
If there is a limited quota then you have to apply just like for antelope and the same rules apply for leftover licenses. For a non-resident to hunt a general hunt unit they have to apply for a license that is good for that particular region. Then they can hunt any general unit in that region if they draw. The F@G limits the number of licenses available to a non-resident. I have places to take someone in both the Bighorns and the Black Hills should a traded hunt be available. Otherwise I will give some suggestions in either place where you might find a deer. To hunt in Wyoming's Wilderness area's a guide is required. Any resident can apply to be a "resident guide" for a non-resident hunter. No $$ can change hands unless they are a licensed guide. Then those hunts can add up. My son and I signed up to help a friend with some elk hunters on a pack-in trip into the wilderness years ago. There is a lot of public land to hunt deer on in Wy. Hiring a guide or paying a trespass fee increases the odds of finding a animal. You can do it yourself with a little research. Best of luck. Bruce

Ok, this thread has intrigued me. Hunting in North America is quite different than hunting in Africa. In my trip to Namibia, hunting was the tool used to experience Africa. I would find it hard to JUST do a driving tour of Kruger National Park and say that I experienced Africa. I do want to go to Kruger and the other famous parks of Africa but it will be in conjunction with a hunt in another part of Africa.

So, the question is how do you do this in NA. Yes, if you are coming from the UK you need to see Yellowstone and other marvelous national parks but you also need to come as a hunter or fishermen and have that experience too and not go into debt for life.

Just got back from a week of fly fishing in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. (google Greys River) There was no cost for camping. (National Forests are different than National Parks) We spent time fishing and time exploring the back roads of the national forest.

IMG_1614.jpg

My answer to the question would be to come to Wyoming and spend a week fishing before hunting season opens and then spend a week hunting. The next question that arises is how does the opening of hunting season in Wyoming correspond to weather conditions in the mountains?

If you could work out these details, you could spend 14 days in the Western US. Experience, much of its beauty while camping, fishing, and hunting and not spend a great deal of money. You would then go home to the UK with the memories and pictures of tremendous adventure.

Planning is a lot fun(y)

You have to look at the weather patterns and most of them are usually bad during the hunting seasons up in the mountains. Here in Colorado you can expect snow anytime form the first of September on and I am sure that Wyoming, Montana and Utah are no different. Archery season starts the last weekend in August in Colorado and that is usually when the fishing usually is the best....once the waters cool down in the lakes and the higher waters of the summer subside in the rivers. So in my opinion a hunting/fishing/touring trip to the US can be very iffy as far as weather. In most areas you are going to need a 4x4 vehicle with a set of chains as a just in case along with other emergency gear.

What I would do if you wanted to come here and check out the National Parks is to come to check the National Parks and forget about hunting. Utah has 5 of them I believe and all of them are within a short days drive of each other with 3 of them being almost right on top of each other. You could spend a month in each one and not see all that you really want to see. Also a few parks in Colorado are also within a short drive from Moab, Utah where you could base out of.

This is one problem with the hunting in the US. The state regulate when and when you can not hunt and most of the big game hunts will start sometime in August for archery and then end in November but most of the hunts are only a week to 2 weeks long. Then there are the draws that you would have to go through to get a tag......not very friendly to trying to plan a vacation 1-2 years ahead of time unless you hire a outfitter and then the dollars start to roll. Montana and I believe Idaho offer over the counter tags so that would be one solution to that problem.

My moose hunt this year will be in Quebec. This province seems to have a great outdoors industry. Lots of good outfitters and a great diversity of game. And, every little Quebec town has a good place to eat and a very particular culture. In a "Cabanes Sucre" (sugar shack) you will have the biggest breakfast and eat more maple syrup than you knew possible. I am not francophone but have gotten to enjoy this province more over the last few years.

I know you mentioned stalking, but I thought i would mention something else. I don't know what wing shooting is like where you are, but if you get the chance a goose hunt is a ton of fun. Lying in your blind as a flock of 50+ birds swoops low over you is an awesome experience. The sound of those wings is incredible! Lots of shooting too!

Planning is half the fun!

...ok 50 is an exaggeration...but it sure feels grand! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you