Montana Rifle Company DGR 505 Gibbs review

I looked into the reloading press issue that this round brings to light(thanks Matt), I was first thinking that my RCBS 50 BMG press would work, but I can't find a bushing to take the 1-1/2" die down to the 1-1/4" die that the Gibbs utilizes. I will probably have to have one machined and I should be in business. Ordered 40 rounds of Norma factory that was discounted substantially @midway and some barnes and Woodleigh bullets. Hell, I only have 11 weeks and 6 days to get ready for her arrival.lol
Velo Dog,
The extra crosspin is a great idea, can you explain the placement of the extra recoil lug to me a little better?

I looked into the reloading press issue that this round brings to light(thanks Matt), I was first thinking that my RCBS 50 BMG press would work, but I can't find a bushing to take the 1-1/2" die down to the 1-1/4" die that the Gibbs utilizes. I will probably have to have one machined and I should be in business. Ordered 40 rounds of Norma factory that was discounted substantially @midway and some barnes and Woodleigh bullets. Hell, I only have 11 weeks and 6 days to get ready for her arrival.lol
Velo Dog,
The extra crosspin is a great idea, can you explain the placement of the extra recoil lug to me a little better?

Bullthrower338,

Yes (and Royal27 was right, because wow am I ever giddy about this opportunity to share my opinion).
The Gunsmith contours a metal block to fit the bottom of the barrel, and fastens it in place, either with silver solder, or screws or an industrial adhesive of some type, or a combination of a couple of those.

He then he cuts out a corresponding socket into the barrel channel of the forearm, (about half way between the forend tip and the front of the magazine box) but, with extra space/cut somewhat longer behind where this "recoil lug" will rest.
Next he cuts a piece of machine threaded rod or the threaded end of a machine bolt to fit laterally/side to side into the extra space behind where the "recoil lug" will rest.

Then he coats the lug with grease or releasing agent of some sort, so that the glass bedding compound will not stick to it and he glass beds the threaded rod stub into place, tight behind where the lug will be
It helps absorb some of the recoil into yet another part of the stock, instead of most of it bashing against the tang and magazine box areas only.
He told me he likes to use threaded stock for this part because it ensures a very firm bond between the rod and the glass bedding compound.

Seems to me a plain/non-threaded stub of steel rod or square stock would work fine or perhaps, no metal added at all, because glass bedding by itself is quite strong but, I am no Gunsmith and might be way off on that.
Additionally, if I am not mistaken, when Ruger was still making their excellent Model 77 Magnum, I had heard tell that they used a similar barrel mounted extra recoil lug but, I am not positive on it because I have never taken one apart.

All these shoulder fired cannons can be reinforced to not break themselves apart but it is a bit of extra work and money.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Thanks Velo Dog, I been pondering that since last night. Would make a world of difference in recoil force distribution on the wood. What do they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of........split stocks, or something like that. Sounds like a wise place to spend some money and save some frustration down the road. Now to find a gunsmith around here to do the work.
Thanks for the help,
Cody

Thanks Velo Dog, I been pondering that since last night. Would make a world of difference in recoil force distribution on the wood. What do they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of........split stocks, or something like that. Sounds like a wise place to spend some money and save some frustration down the road. Now to find a gunsmith around here to do the work.
Thanks for the help,
Cody

You are welcome any time.
Wish I could claim origination on it but I think that one has been around long before I was born (my wife believes that I was probably born or hatched sometime during the Pliocene Era).

well im officially giving up on Montana Rifle Company. im tired of waiting with no idea when the gun will be back. (n)

I have sent them an email asking for my money to be refunded. the money will be better spent on restocking my 416 RM.

my dream of a 505 Gibbs will be put on hold till I can afford a nicer rifle.

-matt

well im officially giving up on Montana Rifle Company. im tired of waiting with no idea when the gun will be back. (n)

I have sent them an email asking for my money to be refunded. the money will be better spent on restocking my 416 RM.

my dream of a 505 Gibbs will be put on hold till I can afford a nicer rifle.

-matt

jeez matt you seem to have some crap luck when buying rifles...:( found this, http://www.cabelas.com/product/CZ-CL-Safari-Special-Factory-Buy-Gibbs/1659613.uts i know its a cz but nice price reduction and as my .500 jeff seems to be fine not all can be crap from the custom works........

jeez matt you seem to have some crap luck when buying rifles...:( found this, http://www.cabelas.com/product/CZ-CL-Safari-Special-Factory-Buy-Gibbs/1659613.uts i know its a cz but nice price reduction and as my .500 jeff seems to be fine not all can be crap from the custom works........

I have a CZ in 500 Jeffery and I love it, but it took work by three gunsmiths to get it right. The nice thing is I had time, and it didn't cost me much money. My son has an LH Stainless M70 Classic in 416 Rem (according to the previous owner he had less than one box of shells through it) I found out why when I it arrived from gun broker. It wouldn't feed the second round. It's now been fixed.

My experience with factory big bores (and I include the CZ Custom Shop in that category) is that they all need work, or maybe I just have bad luck like Matt.

Sorry to hear Matt, hope it all works out.

the only thing that worries me is the used CZ wont be under warranty so if it has problems it would be on me. if i could inspect it personally then i would be less hesitant to throw down the money on it.

ill think it over while i wait for my refund.

thanks all
-matt

the only thing that worries me is the used CZ wont be under warranty so if it has problems it would be on me. if i could inspect it personally then i would be less hesitant to throw down the money on it.

ill think it over while i wait for my refund.

thanks all
-matt

ok i thought it was new. looks mint in the photos when you zoom in.

ok i thought it was new. looks mint in the photos when you zoom in.

the rifle does look new, but Cabelas doesn't carry CZ rifles (to my knowledge) and if they did they certainly would charge out the nose for them.

I see used CZ's in 505 Gibbs and 500 Jeffery available at Cabela's from time to time. my guess is someone buys it, shoots it once, then promptly sells it to Cabelas. I think people buy these kinds of rifles without knowing what they are getting into.

-matt

Hi Matt85,

I own several CZ bolt action rifles from .22 rim fire, through .500 Jeffery.

Most of them I bought 2nd hand but, the only one that was problematic is the brand new .500 that I ordered from their so called "Custom Shop", and it suffered a severe failure to feed malfunction, to the point of being useless / completely non-functional.

You no doubt recall my rants on this in earlier posts.

Therefore, I understand why you would not want to buy the CZ .505 but if it is used, at least there is a small chance that the original owner had sent it back to CZ and they may possibly have then sent it to someone who knew what they were doing.

Worse case scenario, you'd have to have it made whole by a Mauser loving Gunsmith like I did with my .500.

In spite of the misery in knowing that I was scammed by CZ's so called "Custom Shop", I still believe the CZ 550 Magnum action is the best buy on the market today, because of the excellent steel they're made from, plus their true magnum dimensions, combined with the affordable price.

Granite Mt. Magnum Mausers and a couple of others are much better quality but cost a small fortune.

It is possible to put together a reliable and accurate bolt action for large calibers based on the CZ 550 Magnum, at about 1/3 the price of a GM or similar actions.

I wish Vektor of South Africa and Brevex of France were both still making their excellent Magnum Model 98 Mauser actions but my luck is that, they'd probably cost as much as GM anyway.

Beerio,
Velo Dog.

Matt, you know that I have several CZ550's all have been worked on by my gunsmith before I even took them out the shop and fired them.

IMHO they all need to be worked on too smooth and polish them,but once done they are fantastic

I would consider a used CZ in 505 Gibbs if I could handle it and test its feeding before buying it.

-matt

Does Cabelas have a return policy on used guns? Any chance you could have them transfer that gun to a store closer to you?

not sure about that, I believe they will ship the gun here (at my expense) and they might offer a short inspection period. after I get my refund ill give them a call.

-matt

Does Cabelas have a return policy on used guns? Any chance you could have them transfer that gun to a store closer to you?

Quite certain they don't. They will transfer the gun to another store, but once you buy it, it's yours.

I hate to hear the problems you had with the Montana. The CZ's are a solid rifle. If I didn't already own one in 416 Rigby and another in 500 Jeffery I would not hesitate to grab that 505. At that price, even if I had to put a few dollars into it it is still a value in my eyes. Both of mine were purchased from my local Cabelas. Both were rifles I wanted and just happened to walk in and find them on the rack. I think they charge you something like $25 to ship a gun store to store but as Phil said, there are no returns.

I ordered my .505 three weeks ago and was told it was 11 weeks out. They just called and said my gun was shipping out today! With all the drama that Matt has had I don't understand why they can complete my rifle but not fix and return his!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross