Mogambo - Africa 1953 with Clark Gable

Hi Spoonieduck,

Totally agree with you that Naked Prey seems to be too close to the John Colter story to be a mere coincidence.
When I was an early teen, my father had given to me a book called "The Path Finders" which described many early 1800's trappers and N. Am. explorers' adventures, including Colter's run for his life.

Upon reaching civilization (some frontier fort but it's name escapes me), Colter's description of what is now the park, was not generally believed.
Seems like another trapper/explorer, (Jim Bridger?) was also thought to be fibbing when he, only a relatively few years later, described similar things about the area (geysers and such).

Upon reading the above book, I became an instant black powder enthusiast but only was able to afford my first BP firearm a few years later, at age 18.
My father was not a gun enthusiast.
Thankfully, he was not against such things, he was just Dutch and thought I should earn my own money to buy most of my own sporting goods.

Anywhooo, there are some great movies out there, including about Africa, if we take time to sift through all the mountains of rubbish that Hollywood generally prefers to make.

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.
Velo, I'm also reminded of another movie that I saw a very long time ago. It is reminiscent of the excellent 'Flight of the Phoenix'' starring Hardy Kruger and Jimmy Stewart. "Flight of the Phoenix" is, by far, the better film, though. I can't remember the movie's name but maybe you can. An airplane runs into a huge flight of migrating locusts and crashes. The survivors try to survive in a desert [Namib?] with rocky outcroppings and baboons. Only one guy has a rifle and sets himself as a sort of baboon-killing sultan. He lords it over the others but his real fixation is baboon killing. When given the opportunity of rescue with the others, he refuses so that he can continue to hammer the baboons. It is an interesting tale about the primitive in all of us. Unfortunately the baboon killer is miserably overacted.

Can't remember if I ever saw the movie Mogambo. One of my favorites was "Hatari", with John Wayne.

"Shout at The Devil," starring Roger Moore and Lee Marvin (Marvin was an avid bird hunter in real life).
It is loosely (very loosely) based on the life and times of Pretorius, (the chap who Pretoria South Africa was named after ?)
It is a good adventure movie about old Africa.
Read the excellent book, "Jungle Man" if you want the real story.

here you are MrVD http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2534300.Jungle_Man

and no different man
  1. Andries Pretorius

2. Pretoria itself was founded in 1855 by Marthinus Pretorius, a leader of the Voortrekkers, who named it after his father Andries Pretorius. The elder Pretorius had become a national hero of the Voortrekkers after his victory over the Zulus in the Battle of Blood River.

Velo, I'm also reminded of another movie that I saw a very long time ago. It is reminiscent of the excellent 'Flight of the Phoenix'' starring Hardy Kruger and Jimmy Stewart. "Flight of the Phoenix" is, by far, the better film, though. I can't remember the movie's name but maybe you can. An airplane runs into a huge flight of migrating locusts and crashes. The survivors try to survive in a desert [Namib?] with rocky outcroppings and baboons. Only one guy has a rifle and sets himself as a sort of baboon-killing sultan. He lords it over the others but his real fixation is baboon killing. When given the opportunity of rescue with the others, he refuses so that he can continue to hammer the baboons. It is an interesting tale about the primitive in all of us. Unfortunately the baboon killer is miserably overacted.

Flight of The Phoenix is one of my wife's favorite movies and so, I have seen it several times.
I agree that it is a good one for sure.

The other one you mentioned sounds like great potential for a story line but sadly, it also sounds like typical Hollywood propaganda, where they just cannot resist the temptation to paint any man with a rifle as nothing more than an insane blood lusting ignoramus.

I thought I read somewhere that "Ghost in the Darkness" was partially filmed over in Mpumalanga at one of those private conservancy hunting areas.

Flight of The Phoenix is one of my wife's favorite movies and so, I have seen it several times.
I agree that it is a good one for sure.

The other one you mentioned sounds like great potential for a story line but sadly, it also sounds like typical Hollywood propaganda, where they just cannot resist the temptation to paint any man with a rifle as nothing more than an insane blood lusting ignoramus.
I think I remember the name of the film, "That Sands of the Kalahari." It's basic message is similar to Golding's "Lord of the Flies."

Out of Africa is on tonight. Great scenery and wildlife footage. The lion charge scene isn't too terrible.

Out of Africa is on tonight. Great scenery and wildlife footage. The lion charge scene isn't too terrible.

In spite of the fact that Robert Redford is a floppy wrist / anti-hunter in real life (Meryl Streep might likely be one as well), I do enjoy watching Out of Africa approximately once a year.

Someone obviously advised the movie company / prop supplier on what firearms were proper for this production.

It appears that Streep's character was carrying and used to fine effect, a vintage Westley Richards Mauser, in .318 WR caliber, when charged by the lioness.

I could be wrong about this but it looks like one to me.

Oh how wonderful it would have been to have been in Africa then.

I'm no fan of 'Out of Africa' because I'm no fan of Redford's acting style. Also, I actually read three books, one of which is titled 'Out of Africa' by the Denison [probably not spelling it right] woman I also read a book written by her husband, Somebody Finch-Hatton and still another book [I do a lot of reading and some writing, too] by the movie's 'heavy', Broor von Blixen. Reading all three books you recognize that the movie--like many Hollywood movies--is based on some serious lies. It turns out that Finch-Hatton and von Blixen weren't enemies or even rivals. They were the best of friends--hunting and drinking buddies--and certainly no woman came between them. On the other hand, Denison did catch syphlis, [cured with Salverson 606 in Europe] probably from von Blixon but we'll never know because there is a suggestion that both men were pretty easy about their women.

In terms of lion charge, I think the charge in 'Trader Horn' should be examined closely. In it a very wild-looking African kills a charging lion with a thrown spear that strikes it directly between the eyes. I've seen it a number of times and it looks 'real' but I could be mistaken. If it is the real thing, it means that Hollywood codes--and respect for human life--were far different back in the mid 1930s. When the spear is thrown, the African can't be 20 feet from a lion in full attack. There would be little opportunity to stop the cat with a rifle before it hit the man.

I gotta find a copy of that movie. It sounds interesting.

here's an Oldie
Safari_1956_UK_trade_ad.jpg

I'm no fan of 'Out of Africa' because I'm no fan of Redford's acting style. Also, I actually read three books, one of which is titled 'Out of Africa' by the Denison [probably not spelling it right] woman I also read a book written by her husband, Somebody Finch-Hatton and still another book [I do a lot of reading and some writing, too] by the movie's 'heavy', Broor von Blixen. Reading all three books you recognize that the movie--like many Hollywood movies--is based on some serious lies. It turns out that Finch-Hatton and von Blixen weren't enemies or even rivals. They were the best of friends--hunting and drinking buddies--and certainly no woman came between them. On the other hand, Denison did catch syphlis, [cured with Salverson 606 in Europe] probably from von Blixon but we'll never know because there is a suggestion that both men were pretty easy about their women.

In terms of lion charge, I think the charge in 'Trader Horn' should be examined closely. In it a very wild-looking African kills a charging lion with a thrown spear that strikes it directly between the eyes. I've seen it a number of times and it looks 'real' but I could be mistaken. If it is the real thing, it means that Hollywood codes--and respect for human life--were far different back in the mid 1930s. When the spear is thrown, the African can't be 20 feet from a lion in full attack. There would be little opportunity to stop the cat with a rifle before it hit the man.

Hi again Spoonieduck,

I totally agree that Redford's acting style is feeble.
Compared to some of his contemporaries, he is a "robotic / flatliner" (probably from drinking too much of the "Government Kool-Aid").
You'd think that for as much as Redford gets paid in his movies, he could have afforded a tip-top Language Coach for his role in "Out of Africa", who then would've taught him how to speak English with an educated / well-to-do, proper Danish Gentleman's accent, from around the time of WW-I.

Again we are in agreement that Hollywood movies generally do not much resemble the real story, if there was one to begin with, whatever it may have been.
In this case, there was a real story but I have not read the book.
I am not surprised if Hollywood might have shrugged off the parts they didn't like and wrote in whatever they did like.

Regarding Denys Finch-Hatton and Bror Von Blixen's friendship in real life, from what I have read, spousal swapping was popular sport among some but not all of the rich folks living in the Nairobi area, at the time depicted.
"Blix" as he was called was a notorious man-whore and maybe didn't mind sharing his wife with Finch-Hatten?
Who knows.
I just know that if I was rich (if a frog had wings) I would not be interested in such debauchery at all but, I would in fact have some very fine rifles indeed.

Regarding the treatment of animals and actors both in the movie "Trader Horn", nobody seemed to screech too loudly about such things in 1928 or 29 when it was released to theaters.
Pre-dating that movie was a silent movie called "Tarzan of The Apes", wherein the actor playing Tarzan actually stabbed to death a tame / possibly drugged lion as it was trying to climb through a hut window (pathetic).

Likewise, there is another scene in Trader Horn wherein the producers obviously placed some captive wild animals into a pit or fenced enclosure perhaps, that was gussied up to look like some open and wild part of the African Bush, and they fought savagely.
When I was a Deputy Sheriff in California, I used to enthusiastically put people in jail for doing that to animals,(roosters fighting roosters and dogs fighting dogs as well).

Well anyway, blah, blah, blah.

Out,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Ok so I ordered Mogambo and Capstick's Hunting the African Buffalo. I might have ordered a couple of more Capstic books too. I only lack about four more and I'll have all that he ever wrote and or edited. Being as he is my all time hero I hope one day to get a signed copy of one. Anyway I could only find Trader Horn on VHS so...... The search continues for one on DVD. King Solomans Mine will probably be the next one I hunt down.

What rifle did he use in Mogambo?
Thank You.

Hardly a true African caliber, the movie rifle was a Winchester model 70 in 270 WCF
Thank you .. I've seen it several times "Great Film"
Literally was just on TCM, Anna was asking ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross