Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am in the preliminary stages of researching a way to do a drive in caribou hunt in Quebec. I am trying to control costs.

I found Mirage Outfitters that offers a more a la cart kind of flexibility.

http://www.mirageaventure.com/en/about/index.cfm

Here's the dilemma - the Internet! The outfitter has seemed very decent to deal with and their facilities look great on line. However, I have found some old online posts that are very unfavourable. I have asked them for references but I am wondering whether anyone here is familiar with them. I find a lot of Internet complaints can be libellous and are usually anonymous. Also, the posts are old and maybe things have changed, or it was a one off problem etc :unsure:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I checked them out a long time ago. I thought they seemed legit. The whole Quebec Caribou late season is a tough call, because of the migration, I would be interested to see what the complaints were. If the bou didn't migrate on schedule, then I am sure there would be some Unhappy hunters. Just curious, what were the complaints? Also, I believe there was a change in ownership a few years back, I would look into that as well and see who the owners were at the time.

It's so hard to really know what happened when only one side is posting. I am going to ask the outfitter about it. Seems only fair.

Never been on a caribou hunt, but plan to do it one day. Caribou outfitter operations seem to be pretty big and take a lot of hunters each year. Just like any other type of business, they will get an occasional dissatified customer. I would not totally rule out or eliminate them because of a negative post. Just research them fully, see if he has repeat customers, etc and go with your gut instinct.

Someone on this sight posted another Quebec Caribou outifitter: Sammy Cantafio & Ungava Adventures http://www.ungava-adventures.com/

Pheroze, i have done the caribou thing a couple of times, last time with club chambeaux. The migration is everything. I did a five day hunt and was flown into a camp with no caribou and sat for four days looking at the walls. Fifth day we were flown to the caribou and there was definitely pressure to shoot fast so everyone could get one, I wouldn't do it again. Next time, it will be the NT for me! I have had pals hunt the road migration and often they have already dropped their antlers and/or don't show up. It is a bit of a gamble, but it does cost significantly less and the road trip is an adventure in itself.

Never been on a caribou hunt, but plan to do it one day. Caribou outfitter operations seem to be pretty big and take a lot of hunters each year. Just like any other type of business, they will get an occasional dissatified customer. I would not totally rule out or eliminate them because of a negative post. Just research them fully, see if he has repeat customers, etc and go with your gut instinct.

Someone on this sight posted another Quebec Caribou outifitter: Sammy Cantafio & Ungava Adventures http://www.ungava-adventures.com/

I agree with you and i wrote to them to get their input on the negative posts. I did see the fly in and have not ruled it out. however, for less I can hunt Africa so I will do that trip this summer and then compare the opportunities.

Pheroze, i have done the caribou thing a couple of times, last time with club chambeaux. The migration is everything. I did a five day hunt and was flown into a camp with no caribou and sat for four days looking at the walls. Fifth day we were flown to the caribou and there was definitely pressure to shoot fast so everyone could get one, I wouldn't do it again. Next time, it will be the NT for me! I have had pals hunt the road migration and often they have already dropped their antlers and/or don't show up. It is a bit of a gamble, but it does cost significantly less and the road trip is an adventure in itself.

Interesting, your experience echoes the complaints I read. The adventure is a big part of it for sure. also, I would be happy with a meat hunt. the major reason for looking now is that I think the moose hunt this year in Ontario is going to be a bust. I will be back in Québec most likely anyways. I am just planning at this stage and dreaming a little.:E Day Dreaming:

I did the fly in hunt with Sammy Cantafio (Ungava Adventures) and had a great time on the last hunt of the season at Camp Charlie last October. Like everyone has said, the caribou migration is everything. It is a lot of money for a guess. You just don't know. We were lucky and had a good migration. The outfitter was top notch and offered a very discounted rate for a hunt the next season if there were no caribou seen or shot during the 5 days at camp. Sammy was in camp with us the whole time and he said that he is wishing to sell the outfit because he is getting along in years and would like to enjoy life a little more, so not sure if he is going to continue into the next season or not.

I've also talked to a guy from Ontario that usually does the late season hunt near Shefferville, which has the last roads in Quebec to get to. Everything north of there you have to fly in or take a boat around to get to the coastal cities. He has been skunked a few times, but they usually get a few each year with the parties he has hunted with (self-guided). Again, usually depends on the migration. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

I drove past Mirage on my way further north, but know a few people that went there and had a great time. The migration is everything, miss it by a day and you see nothing, catch it on the right day you will see thousands
I did the winter hunt, drove up hunted for 2 days out of the 3, it is an experience well worth doing.
Sent you a pm with some info

Looks like the weather really hurt the hunts this years winter hunt, anyone planning on this hunt really need to follow the satellite tracking, its a long drive to shoot a few birds if the bou aren't there

I did a hunt with Ungava Adventure also I got maps for the camp area we were going to hunt but when we got there they said there weren't any animals there and didn't think there would be. They flew us to a different place that was in the migration at the time and then we hunted on our own. We had a cook and a guide that would take us out in a boat and drop us off come back and pick us up. We could walk from camp and I think most of the trophies we got (9 people two animals each) in the area around camp. When most of the people filled tags they used one of the boats fish for lake trout and other types of fish. We were shown how to take the velvet off the horns and did that ourselves. At that time it was the low cost hunt they had but they put you some place where there were animals.

It was late August I was a teacher got back just in time to start the year. This was the bigger one had a shoulder mount done.
image.jpeg

It's the type hunt I would like to do someday but definitely would want an outfitter that would move you!

Pheroze. I would agree on the moose hunt in Ontario this year, best to plan on something else :)

Pheroze. I would agree on the moose hunt in Ontario this year, best to plan on something else :)

Honestly, no moose hunt is a dam shame. It is by far my favourite. But I think my trip to Africa will help me through this!

i passed on the moose hunt last year for Africa, no regrets. This year am not sure if i will go for moose, have an outfitter i get a tag from for a fly in trip with archery, but unsure.
I know water levels will be way down due to lack of snow which will effect them, just glad they brought back the spring bear hunt to help the moose in calving season

i passed on the moose hunt last year for Africa, no regrets. This year am not sure if i will go for moose, have an outfitter i get a tag from for a fly in trip with archery, but unsure.
I know water levels will be way down due to lack of snow which will effect them, just glad they brought back the spring bear hunt to help the moose in calving season

Three years in a row I chose Africa over a Newfie moose hunt. No comparison and for less money, can't beat it with a stick

I was there almost 20 years ago and had a great hunt. Such a shame the herd is was it is now. Caribou is my favorite game to eat, or should I say was. We did the winter hunt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,