Merkel 141 Experiences

Tony Parisi

AH member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone owns or otherwise had experience with the Merkel 141 in any caliber. What are your impressions? I understand that regulation of the barrels can be adjusted by the shooter to alter point of impact for different loads and distances. How has that system worked for you in actual practice? How much adjustability is there? What kind of accuracy at, say 100 yards (scoped), would one reasonably expect to achieve? Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone owns or otherwise had experience with the Merkel 141 in any caliber. What are your impressions? I understand that regulation of the barrels can be adjusted by the shooter to alter point of impact for different loads and distances. How has that system worked for you in actual practice? How much adjustability is there? What kind of accuracy at, say 100 yards (scoped), would one reasonably expect to achieve? Thanks!

Hi Tony, I have no experience with this rifle but am interested also. It is for sale new on Euro-Optic for $9995.00 in .470 N.E. This is for the -1. The -2 is in rimless calibers for $7500. My understanding is that you do not want a sxs rifle in a rimless caliber. They have an extra part (plunger) within the extractor. This is one more part that can possibly malfunction at the worst of times if hunting dangerous game. If you are using a -2 in .375 H&H on a kudu or zebra, probably doesn't matter. There are some out there who completely disagree with this line of thought. I will be following the thread to see what hopefully some of the experts have to say.

Thank you for the insight. I was actually referring to the petite-framed Merkel 141, based on the 28 gauge frame, not the big 140 series dangerous game guns. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 7x57R, 30R Blaser, 9.3x74R, etc, etc. Something appropriate for some plains game, or just plain old deer hunting in the woods of the U.S. Thanks!

Hi Tony Parisi,

Not sure which model I had anymore (12 or 13 years ago) but my first double rifle was a brand new Merkel SxS in the dreaded rimless/belted .375 H&H.
Might have been Model 141.1 or 141.2 or something like that ?
It appeared to be nothing more than their 20 gauge shotgun action but fit with with rather short rifle barrels/quarter rib/express sights and rifle style butt-stock (oval cheek piece in other words).
It had 23.6" extractor barrels and was very accurate / regulated well and never had any problem extracting fired brass.

However, the right side throat was evidently too tight, as the fired empty would always flatten the primer SEVERELY, occasionally blowing a hole back through the primer, thereby staking the rifle shut by means of primer material still attached to the blown primer, protruding into the firing pin hole.
This grievous occurrence made it necessary to actually shear off the tiny sharp piece of primer metal, in order to open the rifle.

Enthusiastically bouncing the rifle right at the hinge, over my knee worked well.
Once the primer metal was sheared off, the Merkel always extracted with no further protest.
I always worried that the tiny shard of primer metal would end up somewhere within the moving parts and put my rifle out of service just when I needed it most, (Murphy's Law and all that sort of thing) but it never did in the relatively few boxes of cartridges I used in the beginning (at paper targets and such).

According to the factory supplied target and paperwork, it had been regulated with Federal brand 300 gr round nose (Woodleigh Weldcore bullet in those days) and again, it was very accurate with same, in spite of the chamber pressure issue.
But also, it regulated equally well with Federal brand 300 gr Nosler Partition too (same severely flattened primer every shot from the right side barrel though).

I wished to have it scoped in the folly of my youth (I was only 49 years young then) so, I sent it to JJ Perodeau at www.ChamplinArms.com for claw mounting and re-regulating to my favorite bushveld hand load of 300 gr round nose at 2400 fps in this caliber.
This totally cured my Merkel of it's bad habit and I took 9 animals in Africa with it, no complaints on my 2nd safari.

If that rifle had longer barrels (26" barrels seem to balance best for me on doubles and single shots) and ejectors, very likely I would have kept it.
I totally agree that in a perfect world, all double rifles should be chambered for low pressure / rimmed cartridges.
However, even with the obvious very high chamber pressure of that right side barrel, my Merkel always extracted.

Also, the only double I own these days (Heym 1980's vintage 88B with 25.5" ejector barrels) is chambered for the .458 Winchester which is definitely rimless / belted and definitely not a low pressure cartridge.
So far it has not failed to eject in several boxes of full pressure 500 grainers and it is as well regulated as any English double rifle I have shot.

All that being said, and bearing in mind that you wish primarily to hunt in the USA with it, if I was set on buying the Merkel, I'd probably get the 9.3x74R and I would prefer ejectors if possible.
A .375 would be a possible option for N. America with the occasional Africa trip in mind but you'd be back to the rimless thing again.
(Some day someone is going to get rich making affordable doubles in .303 British with 26" barrels, and classic lines of the Pre-War English doubles).

If planning to hunt African heavy/dangerous game, and old Velo Dog could not talk me into spending a bit more for a Heym then get the Merkel that you have planned if you prefer that brand over others in that price range but definitely get it in 450/400.

Parting Shot:
In the Merkel price range, I feel the Verney Carron and the Chapuis are a better buy, due to longer barrels and ejectors being fairly standard options.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts Velo Dog. Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the big, dangerous game Merkel 140 in it's various incarnations. I'm referring to the petite frame (28 gauge frame) Model 141 in something like 9.3x74R or lighter in caliber. Two things -- first I'm a left handed shooter and I was wondering if Merkel puts any cast in the stock of these guns. If so, that's fine; this is easily changed by someone with the right skills and equipment to either no cast or cast on for a left hand shooter. Secondly, I was wondering how well the muzzle adjustment barrel regulation Merkel advertises for these guns has worked for any of you in actual practice. As I understand it, unlike the big 140 dangerous game rifles, the barrels of the model 141 are not soldered for their full length, but rather have a muzzle adjustment device that permits the user to make small vertical and horizontal adjustments in barrel regulation in order to compensate for different loads. I've e-mailed Merkel USA about this and have yet to receive any response. The one and only Merkel dealer in my areas seemed a bit unclear on all of this and referred me back to Merkel USA. I'd love to own one of these guns with a QR scope mount. It would make an excellent take-down travel rifle for most anything I would want to hunt in North America, or Africa for that matter (excepting dangerous game, or course). Since a 9.3x74R is roughly 80-90% of the power level of a .375 H&H and the 141 weighs in at around only 6.5lbs, I would think stock fit would be rather important to shooting comfort. Thanks again to all.

Hi again Tony Parisi,

Guess I missed the target on some questions in your original post. (I only have the attention span of a child on meth).
My Merkel must've been a model 140.something?
I'm sure it was not made on the petite 28 gauge frame.

A 6.5 pound 9.3x74R might chop a hole in your shoulder.
Seems like 8.5 to 9 pound would suit me better for this caliber.
However in all fairness to the maker, I am not especially fond of recoil.

Although I don't even know anyone who has tried the adjustable regulating device, I am always suspicious of anything that has extra moving parts.

I do not recall if my Merkel had any castoff in the stock or not.
Seems like I saw a plain grade Verney Carron left hand stocked double rifle for sale once, but I do not know if it was special ordered or factory standard option.

Not sure if it's still there or not but recently I saw a used Heym SxS in .375 H&H on gunsinternational.com that only weighed about 8 pounds (aluminum alloy receiver perhaps?) too light for me but it was only about ten thousand US dollars, excellent price.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Agree with the Dog completely. 6.5 pound .375 for me would be only to carry, not shoot! Also agree, the more moving parts on virtually anything, the more likely a malfunction!

Thanks again to all. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has had experience with the Merkel 141. Thank you!

Hi Tony,

I'm a bit late to this game but I will add that I have a Merkel 141 in 9.3x74r. It is indeed 6.5# unscoped. I've added a Leica 2.5-10 and with that scope and the mount the rifles tips 8# on the nose.

It is, indeed, quite sharp on the recoil. Manageable, but it is a wake up and demands some attention. My handload is a 286gr. Partition or Hornady IL over 58.0 gr. of RamShot Big Game powder (2 grains under QuickLoad max). This makes 2250 fps chrono'ed at 10' and candidly is all I care to shoot. I have loaded up to 60 gr. of Big Game with no pressure signs but backed off for no real reason other than the recoil. IIRC I was getting a hair over 2300 with 60gr.

Regarding the regulation: I bought mine used and got a pretty good deal on it - and now I know why. Whoever had it before really messed with the regulation. I still haven't gotten it dialed in. What I can say is that the screws/block are very firm and I highly doubt the rifle will lose regulation once I get it in place.

I was shooting about 1.25" groups from the right barrel. So accuracy is plenty decent.

It's really a dream to carry and handles great. I'm planning on taking it pigging this year in Texas.

Hello rnovi! Thanks you very much. That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. Again, many thanks! If anyone else has anything to share on the Merkel 141 -- good, bad or ugly, I'd love to hear it.

Hi Tony,

I forgot to add a couple of other notes.

First, I only have maybe 100 total rounds through mine so it's still quite on the new side. Having said that, the action is very stiff. It's going to take a long time for it to loosen up.

Second: I bought the rifle with ejectors as that was what I was specifically looking for. I wanted to get the full double rifle experience you see. I also figured it wouldn't be that big a deal since I shoot a Browning Citori shotgun.

I was wrong. In retrospect I would much rather have extractors. The 141 is not really a DG rifle, though I suppose the 9.3x74 might qualify in some countries. There's just no need for ejectors. Chasing brass at the range or in the field isn't much fun. Further, for this rifle there isn't the huge demand for the extra rapid reload that is needed in a true big bore DG double.

I will add one final note: I much prefer the arabesque engraving on the Merkel to any of their game scenes on their lower end rifles. The game scenes don't come out right and candidly look rather childish. I'm really glad I held out for the arabesque. Their color case hardening looks really good too.

Couldn't agree with you more about the engraving. On the rifles I've seen, it is surprisingly crude. I'd much prefer no engraving to poor engraving. I've noticed also there seems to be a fairly hefty premium attached to the rifles with the coin finish and engraving -- the color case hardened versions are significantly less costly and I would probably go with that finish. Appearance is not unimportant, but it will be a working gun after all.

Thanks for the additional information!

You know, gents, I may be having a change of heart on the Merkel. I decided to follow up on Velo Dog's sage advice and looked into Verney-Carron and Chapuis as alternatives to the Merkel. While 9.3 x 74r Verney-Carron's seem rare as hen's teeth, I seem to have found something interesting in a Chapuis on Guns international. A left hand Chapuis double rifle in 9.3 x 74r. AAA walnut, tasteful scroll engraving. Being a lefty, this is appealing -- and the price is rather appealing as well. Thoughts anyone?

I like Chapuis. I like V-C even better. :)

Soldered barrels though, which can be both a blessing and curse. Make sure you find out what weight bullet it was regulated with. A lot of the 9.3x74r rifles built on small actions (28ga) were regulated with the 232 gr. bullets. Those aren't common in the reloading world with 250's being generally the lightest bullets.

If it was regulated with the 286 bullets, then good deal. It's also worth checking the weight. Last Chapuis I saw was 8# unscoped...a bit heavier to carry but also nicer on the recoil issue.

Final note: always double check if that rifle requires some kind of proprietary scope mount. The Merkel Scope mount is $400 on its own.

Otherwise, Chapuis is a darn good name with quality generally on par with the Merkel. I like Chapuis wood better than Merkel in general but I found a really nice example with a bit of fiddleback on mine.

Thank you! According to the seller, the rifle was regulated for Norma factory 286 grain Oryx loads -- a load I'd probably use anyway and which I can probably easily duplicate with hand loads. It comes with a target that appears to show a more than acceptable 50 yard group with that load. My impression thus far is that this rifle would seem to ba an overall better value than the Merkel; nicer wood, cast-on for a left handed shooter, ejectors standard (which I prefer), tasteful floral engraving, etc. Yes, it does use a proprietary scope base. I'm just having a hard time believing I can get all of that for less than $6k brand new. It almost seems too good to be true. I'll need to investigate further.

That's about right for the cost. Chapuis and Merkel run about the same in cost. Well done.

I have the 141 in 30-06, single trigger with ejectors
It feels like a 22lr in the hand, very light compact well balanced
Some people question the use of a rimless cartridge in a sxs, I have a 140 in 375H&H and this one, I have never had any malfunctions with getting spent cases out but again I keep my guns cleans and well lubed

The only thing I would change on my 30-06 is have double triggers, more sxs"ish

I have the 141 in 30-06, single trigger with ejectors
It feels like a 22lr in the hand, very light compact well balanced
Some people question the use of a rimless cartridge in a sxs, I have a 140 in 375H&H and this one, I have never had any malfunctions with getting spent cases out but again I keep my guns cleans and well lubed

The only thing I would change on my 30-06 is have double triggers, more sxs"ish
Thanks for the input!

Good moorning.
I Have a Merkel 141 caliber 8x57JRS.
Do anybody knows which screw, in the front of the barrels , is for horizontal adjustment, the upper or the lower one?
That's because the distance between shots of the two barrels at 50m is about 4 inches and I want to approch them.
Thank you all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you