Me Too! CZ 550

Don Colter

Reaction score
I'm a new member here with a July 2016 RSA safari on the books. I've wanted to hunt Africa since I was a little boy and wanted a 375 H&H almost as long. Well, since I got a safari booked it only seemed right to get the 375. So I ordered and just picked up the CZ 550 American Safari. It seemed an easy choice. I'm a lefty and the choices in "affordable" CRF 375s are limited. The model 70s I saw were expensive and the Dakotas and others like it were worse. I wanted the classic H&H, so Ruger was out. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet, but I like everything I see and feel. I bought snap caps to see how the trigger felt and I like both the stages. The action feels great right out of the box. It pulls up to my eye spot on. I got Talley QR rings and will get a Leupold 1.5-5 scope. Now just put a lot of rounds through it and make it second nature.

I have appreciated this website as I have a bad case of safari fever and can't wait until July 2016 gets here.

Thanks for all the great information.

Don

Don, my CZ 550, is about 15 years old, it's like an extension of my hand when out in the bush, just smooth out the action.

PS......goodluck with your safari, that African bug bites hard...

Don,
Congrats on your CZ wrong sided bolt model, it will serve you well. I, like you, wanted to go to Africa as a young boy, bought a 375 and went. Later I wanted to spend a night with Faith Hill, I bought a 505 Gibbs to slap me back to reality every time that thought crosses my mind.lol
Cheers,
Cody

This is my third safari booked, but will be my first! I am finally going after Cape Buffalo in SA in October, God willing.... The first two attempts were killed by jobs so I had to painfully cancel. When I booked the first, like you, I wanted a .375. I went with Ruger African though, and practiced a lot! I reload, so the cost of practicing was not as great as it could have been. Now for this safari, I decided that I wanted a larger caliber as I'm older, fatter, and MUCH slower than I was, so I ordered my Winchester Model 70 Safari Classic in .458 Win. Mag. That was several months ago, 2014 to give a better idea, and the rifle will finally arrive the end of June. I will only have a couple of months to learn the rifle and work my drills, but glad it is FINALLY coming together. I just now pray that work allows me to go this time. In short, you made a fine choice, and I share in your excitement. Perhaps we'll both finally put some African countries into our bio's! Lol!

Don,
Congrats on your CZ wrong sided bolt model, it will serve you well. I, like you, wanted to go to Africa as a young boy, bought a 375 and went. Later I wanted to spend a night with Faith Hill, I bought a 505 Gibbs to slap me back to reality every time that thought crosses my mind.lol
Cheers,
Cody

what... just one night with faith hill ,
thought you had more ghoulies than that , codman .....

Congrats Don, I have the same gun and I love it. Mine isn't backwards tho. Lol

Hey Don hope you make it this time and congrats on the gun choices, both should be great! Will you be taking the 375 along as backup and for any PG?

I have a CZ in 505 Gibbs just because I got a deal on it. But loving it now and it performed flawlessly on the buff I just shot with it last month. Of course that is after having sent it back and impatiently waiting for it to be repaired! However that 505 is a big fat cartridge to get to feed properly... It likes brass cases fine now but sure wants to till puke out those pretty chromed ones.

Seems like you get a good CZ, or not. However, like Ruger (well, maybe a bit slower), they seems to be pretty good about warrantying them. They sure do have a good reputation once they are feeding!

And welcome to the site!

Hey Don hope you make it this time and congrats on the gun choices, both should be great! Will you be taking the 375 along as backup and for any PG?

I have a CZ in 505 Gibbs just because I got a deal on it. But loving it now and it performed flawlessly on the buff I just shot with it last month. Of course that is after having sent it back and impatiently waiting for it to be repaired! However that 505 is a big fat cartridge to get to feed properly... It likes brass cases fine now but sure wants to till puke out those pretty chromed ones.

Seems like you get a good CZ, or not. However, like Ruger (well, maybe a bit slower), they seems to be pretty good about warrantying them. They sure do have a good reputation once they are feeding!

And welcome to the site!

I gotta say, that .505 Gibbs caliber is looking good! What is sad is my .458 Win Mag hasn't even arrived yet! Lol, in any case, would like to see some pics of your trophy and the rifle that anchored them!

I gotta say, that .505 Gibbs caliber is looking good! What is sad is my .458 Win Mag hasn't even arrived yet! Lol, in any case, would like to see some pics of your trophy and the rifle that anchored them!
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-spear-safaris-kruger-area-2-week-hunt.22337/

Top gun is my Ruger RSM in 505 Gibbs, bottom one is the CZ I used on the Buffalo in the above report. So far at least, the CZ is much more manageable to shoot, but it is heavier and has a mercury tube in the stock. The big drawback to the RSM is it only hold 2 rounds. Not sure if I could get custom bottom metal made to rectify that... I might be tempted to take the RSM for elephant as it is lighter and you really do hunt them with your legs!
Ruger&Cz 505 Gibbs guns.jpg

Left to right 505 solid, 223, 30-06, 375 Ruger, 375 H&H, 416 rem mag, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and 505 Gibbs TSX, the latter was used on the buffalo
505 Gibbs comparison.jpg

6.5 Creedmoor 129 grain, 375 H&H Trophy bonded bear claw 300 grain from the lion, and 505 Gibbs TSX 525 grain from the buff
Bullets 129g 6.5 Interbond, 300g 375 H&H  Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, 505 Gibbs TSX.jpg

IMG_3788.JPG

Last edited:
what... just one night with faith hill ,
thought you had more ghoulies than that , codman .....
She prolly can't hold a conversation about guns Bluey, just couldn't deal with that! Lol

some how ,id think that little lady could hold her own with a firearm ....
hell, if she could shoot as well as she looks , we would all be in trouble ......

It's not a well known fact that the twist is ass backwards on left handed rifles;)congrats on your CZ

If ever there was a cartridge I did NOT want to shoot, it would be the .505 Gibbs! No thanks!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::D

She prolly can't hold a conversation about guns Bluey, just couldn't deal with that! Lol
Being a southern girl I'd be willing to bet she's pretty handy with a gun.

If ever there was a cartridge I did NOT want to shoot, it would be the .505 Gibbs! No thanks!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::D
In that Ruger it is very, um... Lively?

However the CZ is not bad. It felt huge when I got it but it seems to really fit me well, nice cheek piece and correct length of pull, plus the mercury tube in the stock and with a fairly heavy scope mounted properly.... My only complaint is that the trigger guard tends to smack my middle finger pretty hard if I'm not really gripping it hard and pulling it into my shoulder. But I get my cheek down on it solid and never got any bruises from it, other than that finger.

On the other hand I spent much of my time as a youngster with a bruised up shoulder from an old Montgomery Wards 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Shooting buffalo it does not recoil at all! In fact when shooting that lion with the 375, I don't think that gun even made a "bang";)

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-spear-safaris-kruger-area-2-week-hunt.22337/

Top gun is my Ruger RSM in 505 Gibbs, bottom one is the CZ I used on the Buffalo in the above report. So far at least, the CZ is much more manageable to shoot, but it is heavier and has a mercury tube in the stock. The big drawback to the RSM is it only hold 2 rounds. Not sure if I could get custom bottom metal made to rectify that... I might be tempted to take the RSM for elephant as it is lighter and you really do hunt them with your legs!
View attachment 42215

Left to right 505 solid, 223, 30-06, 375 Ruger, 375 H&H, 416 rem mag, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and 505 Gibbs TSX, the latter was used on the buffalo
View attachment 42216

6.5 Creedmoor 129 grain, 375 H&H Trophy bonded bear claw 300 grain from the lion, and 505 Gibbs TSX 525 grain from the buff
View attachment 42217

View attachment 42218
Nice Buff! You could always see what it would cost to get a gunsmith to customize the Ruger mag well so it could accept a custom made magazine!
Did you shoot the Lion with the Creedmore resulting in a highly irritated Lion and then have to finish it with a REAL calibre? :)

Being a southern girl I'd be willing to bet she's pretty handy with a gun.
I got a bunch and I'd call in sick that day!!!!!
BTW Gizmo, thanks, Shelby had a great time at your place! That poor SOB works more than me, he really appreciated the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross