Manton Multi-Purpose Flint...and...

Mark E

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
United States-but I am always optimistic!
New guy here...gunbuilder of the old sort. I am in the process of building a Manton type double gun "system" if you will. An 18 gauge double shotgun, 32" barrels (damascus-already have), a SECOND set of barrels, also 32", but cape setup, an 18 gauge on the left (damascus), and a .50 caliber on the right, setup for roundball-via a chrome moly sleeve inserted into an 18 gauge damascus tube. The shotgun and combo set are on a flintlock platform.

Here is where I am need of input from those who have had field exposure with muzzleloaders:
If I were to at a future date get a side by side set of fluid steel barrels, in .50 caliber, what would I have to do to get performance close to a .500 nitro express, or equivalent cordite cartridge? There were a lot of early Mantons converted to percussion-the locks are still produced, and will mount directly into the mortises of the old flintlock with no stock modifications. This will likely be my first step-I will retain the flintlock mechanisms for the shotgun and combo barrels, but have the appearance of a percussion adapted set of rifle barrels. Second step...who here has experience with patented (chambered) breeches? I understand the principal, and will be employing them in the initial two barrel sets, but am in a quandry. Touch holes and percussion drums will have to allign, but the smaller the chamber, the higher velocity, maybe? I would like to regulate using traditional black powder, though I know subsititutes may give a boost...but availability varies.

Ultimately, I would like to have this weapon capable of taking anything-literally, from dove to elephant. Dangerous game bullets (steel core conicals) were once available for muzzleloader hunters, so I figure, why not?

Any info is appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!