Mannlicher Full Length Stock. Any Real Purpose?

Excellent work

I like the wood.

Will the rifle be fitted with the Sako Peep? I have one that came with my L61 in 270. Interesting peep and it is shielded from damage.

Yes it has been done

Attachments

• 41083d1443759334-mannlicher-stock-project-image_zpsbiizn8hy.jpg
    41083d1443759334-mannlicher-stock-project-image_zpsbiizn8hy.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 41082d1443759204-mannlicher-stock-project-image_zps6pt1txyn.jpg
    41082d1443759204-mannlicher-stock-project-image_zps6pt1txyn.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you what I love about this build,,the combination of Old World Mannlicher Stock and the modern Tech look of Stainless Steel, A touch of the old A touch of the New,,a truly winning combination

I'll tell you what I love about this build,,the combination of Old World Mannlicher Stock and the modern Tech look of Stainless Steel, A touch of the old A touch of the New,,a truly winning combination

He is having it cerecoated (sp) or at least his intention was to have it coated with some form of blacking. For myself I thought the stainless looked all right for what it was/is. Certainly not a fan of the donkey dick on the muzzle end but that was his choice as well. Used a piece of African blackwood and it is a real job of patience to file it to shape.

Mannlicher stocks and Double D top ends... Whether they have a functional advantage or not, they're awful nice to look at!

He is having it cerecoated (sp) or at least his intention was to have it coated with some form of blacking. For myself I thought the stainless looked all right for what it was/is. Certainly not a fan of the donkey dick on the muzzle end but that was his choice as well. Used a piece of African blackwood and it is a real job of patience to file it to shape.
I'd tell him to leave it alone, it's unique

Military rifles were always full stocked all weather weapons. That's because they were intended to pour out shots quickly and the soldier might then need to handle the rifle itself as a weapon en melee.

I bought a long Swedish 6.5x55 then took it out for a shoot. After just ten rounds the heat of the barrel made the stock "sweat" gobs of cosmoline. I stopped shooting after twenty shots and that goo just kept coming out.

The purpose of a full stock was to offer a good handle on the end of the rifle. Also the full stock offerred some protection to the shooter's hand from a hot barrel.

I would be concerned about weather effects on accuracy of a fully stocked hunting rifle.

With that it mind, it seems rather silly to hunt with a fully stocked modern weapon.

Different brands of stutzens have passed through my hands, CZ, Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Steyr Mannlicher, and Ruger but, the one that handles like it was made for me is the Husqvarna 456 FS. I have never handled a rifle that felt so perfect.

5jC2gtdl.jpg

Always reminded me of a Yeomanry Carbine. I've seen variations of full length stocked rifles around shooting circles forever and the ones on modern, high powered rifles always seemed like a status symbol for the owner or something? Kind of like showing up late in the ring at a horse show for the purpose of being noticed. :) Nothing against them or the style - can take it or leave it. Probably a purpose design in history... as has been posted, for isolation of the barrel for handling and use. Now seems more like a fashion statement. But they do have a certain aesthetic appeal I suppose.

Direct lineage back to the flint and percussion jaeger rifles. Did indeed become carbine length in more modern smokeless weapons with the '03 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer setting the standard for the next 112 years. .... Fully tanked up, with scope in place, mine may weigh 6.5 lbs.

Pickelhaube Stutzen.jpg

Gewehr 91 'Artillery Carbine', a stutzen variant of M1888 'Commission Rifle'

You're quite right about the origin of the stutzen, or full stocked carbine and its evolution on the European continent.

It's interesting to note, however, that even as the sporting Mannlicher Schoenauer became available in the United States, there were other European stutzen offered here, as well.

39801050qv.jpg

Mauser stutzen offered in 1939 Stoeger (U.S.) catalog

U.S. retailer A.E. Stoeger offered full stock conversions of customer provided WW1 surplus Springfield, Enfield, Mauser 98, or Krag rifles in their 1939 catalog as well as 'do it yourself' kits for those so inclined. The word 'Mannlicher' appears nowhere in the description.

39801054rz.jpg

Stoeger 'Peerless' conversions, stocks, hardware, 1939

Elsewhere in the '39 Stoeger, the Mannlicher Schoenauer may be found.
It should be noted and emphasized that all Mannlicher Schoenauer sporting arms were offered not only as stutzen (full stocked carbine) but also as half stocked rifles and, from their introduction through WW2, as a take down version. My own M1910, as shown below, is a Take Down Model.

39801055ni.jpg

Note custom options

39801057eq.jpg

Stock geometry of Mannlicher Schoenauer stutzen

Why the misnomer "Mannlicher stock" is so common in the U.S. as descriptor of all full stocked sporting rifles has always been somewhat curious to me. It's sort of like how some people will call any refrigerator a 'Frigidaire', I suppose.

Not all Mannlichers were / are stutzen. just as not all stutzen were / are Mannlichers.

A full stock does not a Mannlicher make.

MS Mannlicher.jpg

Ritter Ferdinand von Mannlicher

1604597969961.png

J.F. Easton, center, with Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 (9.5X57) Takedown Model

Attachments

• MS Mannlicher.jpg
    MS Mannlicher.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Johnny's Cat 001.jpg
    Johnny's Cat 001.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 1604597923400.png
    1604597923400.png
    754.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
...But they do have a certain aesthetic appeal I suppose.

On military versions the full stock, 18 to 20" barrel, and turned down flat bolt handle made them easy to draw from and return to a scabbard for mounted cavalry.

Different brands of stutzens have passed through my hands, CZ, Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Steyr Mannlicher, and Ruger but, the one that handles like it was made for me is the Husqvarna 456 FS. I have never handled a rifle that felt so perfect.

View attachment 374564
Well heck yeah. That's a $4k - $5k gun. I imagined it handles darn well.

I’ve always thought that the Ruger No 1 RSI is one of the best looking rifles on the market. I know it doesn’t make functional sense, but it sure looks good to me.

Apologies for necromancing an old thread, but I must say I enjoyed looking through all of the pics. I adore stutzens/full stock rifles. I own a full stock Steyr Mannlicher CLII in 270Win and am in the process of adding their SM12 in 9.3x62 (should be ready in a few months). I can't explain it, but the aesthetics are just perfect for me.

Down the road I'd like to pick up a full stock rifle with a schnabel forend. The two I've had my eyes on are the Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine and the Sauer 404 Stutzen Select. Would be overjoyed with either (the latter is my semi-reasonable/realistic dream gun at the moment), but finding them stateside is apparently nigh impossible these days.

Well heck yeah. That's a $4k - $5k gun. I imagined it handles darn well.
Nowhere close even with today's inflated prices. $1,000-$1200 but, I couldn't let mine go for that. ;)

Not a fan but to each his own. I don't care for the extra weight of more wood and it seems it would be more susceptable to developing pressure points from moisture unless it had a wide bbl channel which would detract from the aesthetics.

Why the misnomer "Mannlicher stock" is so common in the U.S. as descriptor of all full stocked sporting rifles has always been somewhat curious to me. It's sort of like how some people will call any refrigerator a 'Frigidaire', I suppose.

Not all Mannlichers were / are stutzen. just as not all stutzen were / are Mannlichers.

A full stock does not a Mannlicher make.
And Mauser themselves had full-stock carbines that were Type S and Type M. M stood for Mannlicher due to the spoon handle on it...LOL

I'm a fan regardless of the extra weight and possible touch points. The extra weight is negligible, at least on the rifles I have. It also does not seem to affect accuracy of some rifles or at least not to the degree that they would not be useable for hunting. I have 3 and plan on trying at least one in the full stock and then half-stock to see what accuracy changes one can expect. I will also weigh it and see what the difference is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 6.39.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 6.39.12 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 6.39.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 6.39.13 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 6.39.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 6.39.15 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Reactions: CJW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross