Malaria Medications How Not To Get Ripped Off

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I'm sitting in Walmart waiting for Malarone malaria pills right now.

I shopped this hard for two days. Costco wanted $160 for 30 pills. Most places were similar and the big pharmacies were around $200.

Found out my decent insurance was lame on discounts too.

There is a site on the net called goodrx.com I went to and printed a coupon. Handed it to Walmart and just paid $50 for the pills!

There is something broken with the system when you can buy $200 pills for $50 based on printing some coupon off the internet.

Better news, I won't get malaria now. Well, I was planning to drink gallons of gin and tonic for the quanine as the Brits do so maybe the pills were a poorer choice!

:)

mosquito.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    766.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
from http://www.businessinsider.com/these-ex-facebook-guys-want-to-help-you-find-cheaper-drugs-2012-2

These Ex-Facebook Guys Want To Help You Find Cheaper Drugs
by Boonsri Dickinson

We've all been guilty of chasing a good deal. You've probably wasted time looking for the cheapest airplane ticket or driven across town just to cash in on that Groupon deal.

Former Facebook engineer Scott Marlette thinks you'll do the same for prescription drugs. His startup, GoodRX, is the first prescription drug price comparison tool that mines data from every single pharmacy in the United States.

"GoodRx will have an impact on buying prescriptions the same way Expedia and Travelocity has changed buying airline tickets," he added. Consumers find the cheapest prescription drugs, so they don't have to leave their doctor's office and feel like they can't afford the prescription.

Marlette was of the first 20 employees at Facebook. While there, he built Facebook's photo application. Facebook's mission is to make the world more open and connected by creating transparency. That culture of transparency heavily influenced Marlette, and he admits, it can make him quite philosophical.

"We found it odd that for something people spend so much money, people were not asking what the prices are and not shopping around. I buy into this extreme view that transparency creates good in the world. Part of the reason it forces good is because it prevents lying. It encourages freedom of speech," Marlette said.

Even though the bulk of prescription drug costs are often covered by health insurance, consumers can still save money on drugs that are cheaper than their co-pay.

For instance, take the generic drug Zocor. Without insurance, you could pay $6.40 at Costco or as high as $60 (or even higher) at retail. With insurance, if you have a $15 copay, on a typical plan you would pay $15. But you could be paying $6.40 at Costco or $3.50 by mail order after using GoodRX.

And for people whose health insurance covers a much smaller part of their drug costs -- or who don't have health insurance at all -- this could be a real benefit.

"From a consumer tech perspective, the healthcare system is very backwards. It's government, insurance, and hospital driven," Marlette said. "When I walk into the doctor's office, I'm not paying. I have zero incentive to pick something that's lower cost. In consumer retail and Facebook, a lot of people look at what incentives people have."

He hopes to see some of those incentives applied to healthcare to help reduce cost and provide people with the information they need to make the right decisions about how to spend their money.

Early Facebook employee Doug Hirsch is also a co-founder of GoodRX. Early backers include Founders Fund, SV Angel, GRP Partners, Highland Capital, Lerer Ventures, Michael Ovitz, and Ed Wilson.

Just drink your daily Gin and Tonic, and the Quinine will work it's magic... Side effects may include hangover and irritability!

There is something broken with the system when you can buy $200 pills for $50 based on printing some coupon off the internet.

View attachment 150899

Ditto.

I have some friends that are former missionaries that travel from Texas to Tanzania for 2-3 months every year. Their monthly pharmaceutical bill in the USA is around $800 per month as I recall, if they bought it in the USA. They can buy their annual supply of pharmaceuticals in Tanzania for under 1k. Possibly under $500 but I don't remember the exact amount. Obviously the savings pays for their entire trip, and they act as short term missionaries for the time they are there.

Patients in the USA are subsidizing the third worlds medications.

Reactions: BWH
@Wheels i think you might get a bit of a fright if you bought them in zambia ...you can get the medecines but you pay for them properly...

I understand completely. You can get Chinese and Indian knock off meds in Tanzania also. You have to know where you are buying the meds. The people I mentioned above are affiliated with a hospital. The hospital's pharmaceuticals are coming from the Pfizer, Astro Zeneca, Merck, etc. of the world. Same exact drugs they are buying in Texas.

I wouldn't recommend for anyone on a hunt to try and do this. :eek:

Wow I paid $140 for Malarone at Costco! Thanks for sharing this!

I understand completely. You can get Chinese and Indian knock off meds in Tanzania also. You have to know where you are buying the meds. The people I mentioned above are affiliated with a hospital. The hospital's pharmaceuticals are coming from the Pfizer, Astro Zeneca, Merck, etc. of the world. Same exact drugs they are buying in Texas.

I wouldn't recommend for anyone on a hunt to try and do this. :eek:

yeah these are also the big names companies products but you wont get them cheap as you seem to in tanzania.......

Dude you are getting raw dogged with sand paper.... I paid like $5 for Larium. I have two full bottles. Gladly sell to you.

Wait,.... I could probably get arrested for saying that.

yeah, don't want to get raw dogged yourself in the big house!! Sandpaper or no. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D

I took Larium once, never again. Gave me all manner of mental problems. Yes, I know its hard to tell from day to day anyway but in this case it was obvious. Jittery, nightmares, falling asleep on my feet, hallucinations, thought I was back in Viet Nam when I have never been near the place.:eek::eek: It was awful!

Rookhawk, are you going to Namibia? We took the expensive Malarone too when we went there in 2007, but after a couple of days there it was obvious they weren't needed. It was cold and there were zero skeeters around.

Rookhawk, are you going to Namibia? We took the expensive Malarone too when we went there in 2007, but after a couple of days there it was obvious they weren't needed. It was cold and there were zero skeeters around.

Zambezi Valley this trip....I need malaria meds. Thought nothing about it in SW Zim but in the valley you need it.

Dude you are getting raw dogged with sand paper.... I paid like $5 for Larium. I have two full bottles. Gladly sell to you.

Wait,.... I could probably get arrested for saying that.

didnt know they were still issuing lariam after all the issues with it. booked a hunt for a friend in tanzania and went with him. he was very intelligent and one of the most analytical people you could come across . well first or second night at about 3am he eventually woke me from his tent about 20 yards away and shouted something was trying to get into his tent......i got my rifle and torch and went to look....nothing i could see. he came out after i convinced him nothing was there. he said firstly he heard bones crunching in the thicket behind his tent and when he moved the bed made a noise and the animal came to the tent and was sniffing and pushing its nose into the canvas side. when he went to the other side it moved around and did the same.....he said he also had been shouting for me for over 30 mins.........he insisted that dark marks on the tent walls outside were wet muzzle marks........now it was dark but with my torch i couldnt see any tracks in the swept dirt around the tent.....so was a bit sceptical......he insisted on moving in to my tent which had a spare bed. after about an hour when i was asleep he woke me up saying can you hear it breathing its outside again walking around....well i couldnt hear a thing and he was getting pissed with me for not hearing it! so as i needed a pee i said i am going outside to look, he said no dont do that....well i needed to go so off i went, and as i thought not a thing anywhere. the next morning the ph who i know well got the full story at breakfast (he hadnt heard any shouting either). we all went to look and there were no bones in the thicket, no tracks outside his or my tent, and the "wet" patches were still on the canvas.......he refused to sleep in his tent again. a year or 2 later he was in cameroon i think after giant eland etc, and when he got back he told me he couldnt believe it as when he went to his shower one time when he opened his eyes after washing his hair there was a local standing in the shower staring at him.....he said he shouted and asked in certain words what the&%+:mad: he was doing in there.......this went on for about 20 seconds and when he looked again the "person" had vanished. now his wife was a child psychologist and was reading one of her work magazines when she came across an article about lariam and the effects it was having mentally on some people. she put 2 and 2 together and said i think i know what these happenings are about. he went to his doctor and he said if you can sit down and now work it out you are ok, but dont take them again. so him shouting for help, the animal trying to get in his tent then outside mine and the local in his shower were all hallucinations brought on by the lariam............i never had a problem with it but probably too lacking in imagination :D and PR loved it as she had great dreams on it.......o_O but plenty of bad things its done to people mentally including suicide and totally altering peoples personalities permanently......

I'm glad I didn't take it. I filled rx, but after talking with my PH, he said it was pointless, considering when/where we were going to be hunting

I'm glad I didn't take it. I filled rx, but after talking with my PH, he said it was pointless, considering when/where we were going to be hunting

Good thing.

It is astounding that it is still prescribed.

didnt know they were still issuing lariam after all the issues with it. booked a hunt for a friend in tanzania and went with him. he was very intelligent and one of the most analytical people you could come across . well first or second night at about 3am he eventually woke me from his tent about 20 yards away and shouted something was trying to get into his tent......i got my rifle and torch and went to look....nothing i could see. he came out after i convinced him nothing was there. he said firstly he heard bones crunching in the thicket behind his tent and when he moved the bed made a noise and the animal came to the tent and was sniffing and pushing its nose into the canvas side. when he went to the other side it moved around and did the same.....he said he also had been shouting for me for over 30 mins.........he insisted that dark marks on the tent walls outside were wet muzzle marks........now it was dark but with my torch i couldnt see any tracks in the swept dirt around the tent.....so was a bit sceptical......he insisted on moving in to my tent which had a spare bed. after about an hour when i was asleep he woke me up saying can you hear it breathing its outside again walking around....well i couldnt hear a thing and he was getting pissed with me for not hearing it! so as i needed a pee i said i am going outside to look, he said no dont do that....well i needed to go so off i went, and as i thought not a thing anywhere. the next morning the ph who i know well got the full story at breakfast (he hadnt heard any shouting either). we all went to look and there were no bones in the thicket, no tracks outside his or my tent, and the "wet" patches were still on the canvas.......he refused to sleep in his tent again. a year or 2 later he was in cameroon i think after giant eland etc, and when he got back he told me he couldnt believe it as when he went to his shower one time when he opened his eyes after washing his hair there was a local standing in the shower staring at him.....he said he shouted and asked in certain words what the&%+:mad: he was doing in there.......this went on for about 20 seconds and when he looked again the "person" had vanished. now his wife was a child psychologist and was reading one of her work magazines when she came across an article about lariam and the effects it was having mentally on some people. she put 2 and 2 together and said i think i know what these happenings are about. he went to his doctor and he said if you can sit down and now work it out you are ok, but dont take them again. so him shouting for help, the animal trying to get in his tent then outside mine and the local in his shower were all hallucinations brought on by the lariam............i never had a problem with it but probably too lacking in imagination :D and PR loved it as she had great dreams on it.......o_O but plenty of bad things its done to people mentally including suicide and totally altering peoples personalities permanently......

I have heard of problems, but all third hand. Not from a person with direct experience. Very interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross