AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
I was looking at the paper work for Warthog Safaris in the Limpopo province and it stated their camp is in a Malaria free zone. Just how malaria free is a malaria free zone and is there a way to take precautions against getting it. Vaccines, meds, something of that sort. Is it worth worrying about?
Kirk

cptkirk,

If you do a thread search here on the Forum under "malaria" I'm sure you will find lots of useful information on the various malaria meds and recommended precautions. You are also going to find lots of opinions on whether you should or shouldn't take anything....

The Limpopo region is for the most part "malaria free". Does that mean that it's impossible to get malaria there? No... But, it's rare. I have hunted the Limpopo Province twice and going back this August. During the months of May, June and August I never even saw a mosquito. It's generally very dry from May-Sept. and few if any bugs around.

All that being said, If you have any pre-existing health conditions that need to be considered, or you simply want peace of mind, there are several prophylactic malaria drugs that a physican can prescribe for your trip. I would recommend going to a physician or clinic in your area that specializes in travel medicine. They deal with these things every day, and are much better suited to offer you accurate advice and treatment than your family doctor would be...

Some/many parts of Limpopo are indeed malaria free, especially in winter months but If there's even one mosquito per square mile you ought to consider taking anti malarial treatment.......... Take it from a man that's had it, malaria is the most God awful thing to suffer from. :(

I got away very lightly indeed and only had it the once in 30 odd years of kicking around Africa and even then, I was able to detect it with a test kit early on and was able to self medicate accordingly but while you have it, you'll wish you were dead!

Take it from a man that's had it, malaria is the most God awful thing to suffer from. :(
................ while you have it, you'll wish you were dead!

Words to be taken very seriously.

When in doubt check with your travel doctor and obtain the med's that are needed for your area of travel to ensure a great safari.

Being sick while in the bush is not a very nice way to spend your safari.

Just check with your doctor as mentioned. I have hunted Limpopo my whole life and so far I have been lucky to avoid malaria (had tick bite fever once - but that was in summer). Generally you don't see mosquitos in the winter months either. If you hunting near Kruger chances are there are malaria mosies flying around. The western parts of Limpopo have no malaria as far as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbigailSuh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!