Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Since the safari that I am going on will be my first along with the other hunters in my group I was wondering just what service others have used to send in their SAPS 520 forms for a preapproved firearm permit?

I was just informed today that there is a postal strike going on in SA and since I used USPS mail to send my forms to my meet and great company in SA that they haven't received them yet after 3 weeks. Right now it is no problem since I still have a 1 1/2 month leeway before they actually need them and if needed I'll FedEx out the next set to them.

And the others in my group called me crazy for getting things done way ahead of time. For others that may read this that are headed that way this may just be a heads up for them.

Fax or email them I've done it many times

Fax or email them I've done it many times

Who did you use for this? I was told last time you MUST send originals and thus a chunk of change to FedEx.

I used the service with African Sky Guest House in 2014 and faxed all the paperwork to them.
In 2012, PHASA was who I used and it cost me well over $100 just to mail the papers FedEx as they requested (along with their fee).
I will always use African Sky from now on. They saved me enough with the fax, to just about pay the fee for the service they provided.

edit to add...... I may have scanned them into an email attachment. If you think about it, you don't sign the papers until you're there.

I used the service with African Sky Guest House in 2014 and faxed all the paperwork to them.
In 2012, PHASA was who I used and it cost me well over $100 just to mail the papers FedEx as they requested (along with their fee).
I will always use African Sky from now on. They saved me enough with the fax, to just about pay the fee for the service they provided.

edit to add...... I may have scanned them into an email attachment. If you think about it, you don't sign the papers until you're there.

Noted!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if things have changed in a couple of years but I am using Hunters Support in Johannesburg and they require notarized copies of my passport and 4457 so no emails or fax for them.

African Sky I had noterized copies of my passport. I scanned them and emailed it off. This is from Canada don't know if they treat US different

While I am not a lawyer it is my understanding that a copy of a notarized item is just a copy and is not a legal document, that is why I needed to send a actual notarized document to them. If was OK to send a copy of the document then a scanned copy in a email or a fax would of sufficed.

Perhaps different companies that handle the firearm permits allow different types of documents.

Yep, email them. I did the same with Afton last summer. I had mailed my others using the overseas mailer, took about 2 weeks to get there. Email.

I am booked at Africa Sky for April 22nd, choosing the VIP service. Like Spooksar, I scanned and emailed notarized documents to them without a hassle. They use Henry at www.riflepermits.com if I am not mistaken. Another huge plus is that Africa Sky has a US bank account at Bank of America. I went to the local BofA, deposited $295 into their account, done deal. A very painless process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used both Afton House and African Sky. In today's world even the government will accept scan copies email to them.

Just recently, Annelise at the Afton Guest House squared me away with my permit. Scanned copies of my SAPS 520, passport, 4457, and invitation letter were emailed and the permit has already been approved. Now all I have to do is wait until September for my first safari. 194 days 20 hours and 42 minutes until I'm airborne!!!!!!!!:)

It is interesting in how different companies that process you firearm permits or get them preapproved work differently.

My contact person for Hunters Support has now asked for me to email her all my forms because of the mail strike just to make sure that they have them and to start a folder on me.

The sad part is that while I kept copies of the forms that I sent I kept hard copies of them so after a couple of hours of filling them out on the computer they were ready to go again.

And the other hunters in my group wondered why I wanted to get all this fun stuff done way ahead of time.

I just setup everything I need for my hunt in April with Henry at riflepermits.com this week and it was all over email and I didn't need to mail anything. If the import process works as smoothly as this then when I land in South Africa then it will be worth every penny.

All is well in the firearm permit world, they have received my documents and now I can check that box off of my things to do list and get on to another.

All I can say is COME ON MAY 12 and I'll be off to SA for my first safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!