Luxury versus not so luxury accommodations

This is an interesting topic because it differs from hunter to hunter. I would like to know what some of you hunters prefer in your experience to Africa? Would you rather have your hunting camp to have many luxury or to be just plain Africa? I have noticed that some places are becoming 5 star resorts and I feel like it takes much of the experience of Africa away when doing so but it does look very beautiful. Then there are other places such as bush camps with tents or bungalows which does not look anything different from the bush. I know that safari prices are getting higher every year and it is obvious that you Should get your bang for your buck. It would be great if someone who has stayed at both such camps can post their opinions and some of the things you like from both setups? I have posted some picture of places I found on the internet to show the difference. Im looking to build a hunters camp by the answers I get here.

Luxury Camp:
View attachment 16502View attachment 16503

Bush Camp:
View attachment 16504View attachment 16505

Or maybe something in between:
View attachment 16506

When I go on an expensive hunt (all african hunts are expensive to me) the quality of the trophies/animals is the main thing I am looking for. Second is the quality of the PH/support staff and how friendly they are. Lodging would be a distant third. As long as bedding is clean it is okay.

Services that I don't need is the vehicle washed nightly, clothes including underwear ironed, (unless your hunting is in a putzi fly area) swimming pool, etc.

For those of you that own game farms it may not make sense to try to set up a tented camp (low end) away from your home/lodge that is already built. For those of you with concessions a tented camp may equate to luxury if the concession owner doesn't allow permanent structures. Target the market you want to serve and market your hunts accordingly. If you have the facilities to target multiple hunter markets, that puts you ahead of the game. The main thing is to provide a great hunting experience. This includes being courteous and fun to be around.

The great thing for the hunter is that there are so many PH's, game farms available in africa that we can make our own choices for the level of luxury vs. cost that we want.

If I may step in one more time.
Lets not get caught up in semantics. When I'm talking 4 star I'm relating it to hunting camp norms. Not something like what we have here near me with a place called Amangiri". That is a 5 + star world wide organization that runs about $1200/night for the room (food extra!). There is a "small" market from what I can see for Ultra-luxury camps. I also see and under-served market for the "older" couple (50+) who want to come but the wife is hesitant because she thinks it's a "tented camp" like she sees on TV for elk or sheep camps. Many have no idea what is the "norm" for what I refer to 4 star facilities. Does that mean it has hot showers, yes. Does that mean it has a porcelain throne, yes. Does that mean it has laundry service, yes. I could go on but I think you get what I mean. It doesn't mean a waiter standing by each guest at dinner or a cigar room. What I see and hear is that the basic necessities of a vacation for men AND women are what is needed to be brought out and promoted. There is a lot of missed business in this segment because of lack of information. Even exhibitors at the big shows from venues NOT related to hunting (clothes, art) have no idea of what is available in a good African camp. Believe it or not, it's true. Now could someone in their 30s get along with a low price basic camp, sure. Is that where the most business is, I don't think so. Unfortunately the African hunting business may be mostly based in those over say 45-50 years old. And I feel this market does need the "4 star" type of camp. How many wives tag along as a non-hunter on back country elk or sheep hunts? How many go to say Quebec on a caribou hunt with 15 other hunters if they don't hunt? What you call 4 star and what I call 4 star may differ but marketing and facilities probably go to where the market is.
I hope I didn't step on any toes, it's just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it;)

Hey Gents, I think this is a great topic.
Each outfitter when they started had a vision, "this is what Africa means for me" then they set out to create their outfit. For some it was a grand luxury lodge with a cigar bar and an ante chamber for the cigar bar. These are awesome and I would not hesitate to stay there if I could afford it. But sometimes in the luxury business, folk loose sight of whats the most important thing for a hunter. You know, ethics and animals.
For others when they set out on their quest to define what Africa means to them, like myself, they chose to go the route of the self sufficient, camp style. The Bureaucrats dictate but if you meet the most basic needs, a five star lodge is not what you need. A tented camp is sufficient, provided that a certain number of environmental and hygiene standards are met, this makes sense to all.
One of the main themes in most answers in the thread are a comfortable bed and a good hot shower (ICE COLD BEERS).
Once these two items are met, the rest is just added extra cost. I think the critical item that defines whether a guest will like or love their accommodations while hunting is the following; SERVICE. You can stay at a zero star hole, but if the guests treatment is five star, most could tolerate a bit of discomfort. Obviously this is where the minimum standards in RSA do help and in turn can be reflected in the costs to the client.
Another critical item to think about when setting up your camp and ablutions is "Would a Lady approve of this" if you can answer yes to that question, then you are miles ahead of the game. This also relates to CLEANLINESS (next to Godliness), which is a definite must when it comes to any establishment where people are paying to stay.
It is not the grandiose lodge that folks remember from their hunting trip, nor the spartan style tented camp, it is one of these two scenarios (I will leave the hunting out), 1) friendliness, acceptance and overall experience or 2) unfriendliness, treated as a number and bad overall experience. Whether you went the cheaper route or the most expensive route, if you are not treated like the dignitary that all guests to our land are, then the outfitter has failed in doing the most important job, making you want to come back for more.
Choose the operation that suits your needs best, just because Joe Soap Safaris (I hope there isn't a Joe Soap Safaris) has the highest quote for his five star lodge, doesn't mean that you will get 5 star treatment and don't think that John Doe Safaris ,is so cheap and must be for the (roughest of) men only as it is a 0 Star facility, you might be surprised at the 5 star service that his operation offers.
If you know the outfitter to be honest and true to their word, then the choice of what you want from your hunt is in your hands.
Thats my 2 cents (now 5 cents in Canada).

Folks, I have hunted with Hotfire in 2014. Patrick Fletcher is the real deal. I chose him because he promised the focus of the trip would be fair chase hunting and not a fancy lodge and the nightlife. I wanted no shooting from the vehicle. Every animal was spotted and walked up.

Now I like luxury as much as anyone else, but I did not feel short changed by anything about his tented camp. The tents and beds were very comfortable and unlike a luxury lodge, we exulted in hearing the game animals walking past the tent each night. The bathrooms were great and were near spa like, especially considering the remoteness of the camp. All meals were great home style South African cuisine. My non-hunting wife accompanied me, and she enjoyed the camp and the hospitality of Patrick's lovely wife, Jennifer. I won't have to work too hard to convince my wife to return again to Hotfire.

Anyways, I just wanted you all to be aware, that what Patrick talked about in the quote, is what he produced for me. I consider him one of my best friends, maybe my much younger (unfortunately) South African brother. I look forward to my next hunt (after recovering from my second back surgery) with Patrick at Hotfire. Since my hunt in May 2014, two of my friends have hunted with Patrick. Both have rave reviews for Hotfire.

You could do a lot worse than to give Patrick and Hotfire a chance. I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

Jim

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg