LOP for a big-bore double

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by Shakey, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Shakey

Shakey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, RSA (Limpopo, Eastern Cape), Zimbabwe (Omay North X 2, Dande Safari Area, Dande East), Botswana
    The one and only time I've had a double rifle built just for me, I had to take several measurements to ensure the fit was "custom". Based on my submitted measurements, a LOP of 14-1/2" was deemed appropriate by the manufacturer. I later purchased a cheaper double in a smaller caliber for practice. This one had a 15" LOP and actually fits me considerably better than the 14-1/2" LOP. Does anyone on here happen to have a good means of estimating the appropriate LOP for a big-bore double based on measurements?

2. Bwana91

Bwana91 New Member

Instead of estimating, I went to Cabelas and tried a shotgun that could be adjusted to the user's comfort. I measured it at 15.25". I sent the rifle off to my rifle maker and he said that for a dangerous game rifle you probably want about a quarter of an inch shorter. (for quick mounting). He made the L.O.P on my .470 at 15" and it is a joy to shoot.

3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I have only ever trusted mounting an adjustable gun up onto my shoulder or mounting every last rifle/shotgun in the cabinet or safe and seeing how they feel and what my sight picture is.

Maybe someone has a better method for you.

A few failures from trying to just use the numbers in the past:

View attachment 14576

View attachment 14575