Looking for budget elk hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting North America' started by Bwanabob, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Bwanabob

Bwanabob AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, Big Game Rifle Club of NSW, SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and South Africa
    While my main hunting interest is focussed on Africa, I do have a lovely Winchester 1895 takedown model in .405 Win, fitted with a Providence Tool Company Pattern 21 receiver sight, and this rifle keeps begging me and pestering me to take it to the USA on an elk hunt. So I have decided that the only way I will stop its nagging is to give in and take it after elk next year, or the year after!

The problem, though, is that my budget is quite tight at the moment as I have some planned African hunts coming up in the next year or two, so I am looking for an inexpensive, non-resident elk hunt that won't suck up too much of my African hunting budget.

Accordingly, I am thinking about either an unguided hunt or a semi-guided hunt. I am not looking for a record book elk, just a nice representative bull to placate my nagging rifle! However, one issue with an unguided or semi-guided hunt, as a foreigner, is that I do not want to shoot an animal and let the meat go to waste.

I have been doing some research on the internet, reading everything I can find about unguided and semi-guided hunts, but the amount of information is overwhelming and, for a non-resident, hard to sort through.

So I thought that I would throw the subject open here and ask if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for an Aussie hunter looking for a bull elk, hopefully for 2015?

2. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA endowment member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Bwana...............My friends and I have discussed elk hunting for non-nationals and non-residents many times, and it is very difficult without local knowledge. For example, Idaho is divided into about 100 separate hunting units, and each has its own regulations. The hunting regulation pamphlet alone could defeat a good lawyer. It is easy to cross the line, both geographically and legally even when trying to do things right. And the logistics of cold weather hunting require a lot of gear. I believe taking a branch antlered bull elk in North America is much more difficult than MOST hunts, worldwide. This hunt in particular, is often cheaper in the long run by hiring a guide. Saves coming back two or three times just to get a shot.

When I first hunted Namibia years ago, they had fewer than 1000 foreign nationals hunt during the year. While my own state had sold 200,000 elk tags. The competition here is a sight to behold. Even a skilled and seasoned hunter needs an ally on the ground.........................my opinion............................FWB

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
    enysse likes this.
  3. jeff

jeff AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I totally agree with FWB and also hunts where you can purchase over the counter tags with out drawing are difficult and good bulls few and far between!

4. HuntingAgent.com

HuntingAgent.com SPONSOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Bwanabob,

I have a couple of outfitters that do reasonably priced elk hunts. But those are going to be draw hunts and the draws have already passed. the remainder of tags are going to be landowner use tags and they are going to be expensive. I would suggest we look at 2016 and a semi-guided hunt. Outfitter sponsored tags have a better draw percentage in most cases and you will have a knowledgeable guide to help you on the hunt as well as place to stay and meals.

As a side note it is EXTREMELY difficult to import a rifle into the states for hunting. Even for Canadians it is difficult. For guys from down under it is nearly impossible. Just a heads up.

5. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Hey Guy Get ahold of Iamyourhuckleberry He runs a elk camp every couple years out of Colorado he's a PSE pro staffer and a great guy.

6. tarbe

tarbe BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

This is a tough nut. An inexpensive elk hunt for a non-resident alien with a good chance at a nice, representative bull...

I think you are going to need some major, free help!

7. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Didn't catch that part, yep that'll be hard. Good luck though it can be done if you can hook up with the right outfit, maybe do some trading!

8. Bwanabob

Bwanabob AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, Big Game Rifle Club of NSW, SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and South Africa
    Thanks for all the input guys, maybe I will have to push the trip back to 2016 and save more funds to make this trip happen.

9. CAustin

CAustin AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Your best bet is a guided hunt. Hunting Agent on here can give you a hand for sure. You might also go on Cabelas.com and look at their hunts.

10. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    A elk hunt is no cake walk. You need to do a TON of research on any area or outfitter...they can be hard hunts!

11. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    If you get to where you can draw hunt area 2 in Wyoming then I can help you get a bull. Some other units are also possible. Right now there are no wolves and I know the rancher that allows access. We have taken our elk the last 4 yrs for each of us with licenses. The hard part is getting the license! See bulls every year, but often only have a cow/calf license. Maybe trade you for a hunt over there. Bruce

12. HuntingAgent.com

HuntingAgent.com SPONSOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Thanks CAustin

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  13. Pheroze

Pheroze BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Member of:
    Woods and Water, OFAH, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  14. Rob44

Rob44 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    Hey,,got a friend named Larry who has an Oil Rig out of Gillette

15. tedthorn

tedthorn AH Member

Hunted:
    South Africa
    If a cow hunt would suffice I can hook you up guided for $1500 includes the landowner tag

16. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    There has been a definite increase in drilling around Gillette. Directional drilling and fracking have revitalized the oil fields around here. I have a retai jewelers store and business is good at least partially due to people like your friend with the drill rig. Bruce

17. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    BawanaBob - google "Hunting With Tony". DYI hunts in his alfalfa fields. Great success, and a chance at a pretty good bull at times. He will probably be booked for this year though.