Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
I know this is a long shot as most people, especially on here, would have already done this, but it's worth a try. I would like to get one in any configuration, even a left hand bolt (as I'm a lefty) that has seen better days and is no longer useful to the owner and they are willing to pass it along for a good price. As I have been planning my current trip, my sons (8 and 12) have shown a keen interest in going, so there will likely be a second trip in the years to come. I would like to try the caliber if I go back and it would be cool to use something we built as a family. I would like to use this as a way to keep their interest, helping me restore it, as well as teach them the value of something and the benefit of putting work and effort into something to make it useful again. Most any condition short of total destruction would be acceptable for the right price. If you have anything like this please pm me as I'm not interested I getting into a bidding war with someone over this type of thing. Thanks

Albert it might help if you can give a idea of what you consider " Inexpensive" and is a 375 ruger, weatherby or H&H acceptable so folks can try and see if we have something that will fit the bill.

I'll bet someone on here will have the answer.

It would depend on how bad off it was and what make, etc. Some I wouldn't want to drop more than a couple hundred, others would make it worth doing more. I neither want to offend the group in general nor over pay what I could have possible gotten for less by tossing out a number at random. It only takes a couple seconds to send me a message with what you have and would like to get for it, and for me to say yes or no.
As for caliber, any would be fine, but in order of importance H&H, ruger, weatherby

Btw, I appreciate the advice, and you taking the time to respond. Never thought about the different options for .375

I'll ask around Albert.

Albert I will check around as I don't have one that fits your requirements, I do think that getting your son's involved in restoring and hunting with a rifle is great(y)

Charlie, thank you. That is greatly appreciated.
Special thanks to Dave who has gotten me started. Still looking for that restoration project though!

Look on Gunbroker and you will see lots of guns there to fill the bill if nothing pops up here. One of the better values in a used .375 H&H would be a Mark X Interarms Mauser, or Whitworth (same basic gun with a few African features). The current rendition is called the Zastava. Remington even marketed it for a time. Lots of choices.

Look for a Model 798 Remington it's a Zastava CRF. I don't know if you will be able to find a Whitworth on the cheap. I'm also sure Zastava imports their sporting rifles to the US, a google search should be able to find you a distributer

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I'm not looking for a $600-$1k rifle ready to shoot. I'd like to pay less than that for something that needs a fair amount of work so I can have my boys actually put something into it. I think it will give them an appreciation for the value of putting effort into something as well as keep them excited about seeing how it works over there. That's not to say if the right deal came along for something that needed minimal work, I'd pass on it.

That being said, thanks to AZDave, if anyone has an extra TC encore rifle frame that's not being used, please let me know.

I guess what I have been getting at, without wanting to say it, is that we don't have a lot of money, especially now with my upcoming first safari in august. We are a single income family of 4 and I'm only a heavy duty trailer mechanic. It is taking me 4 months of 5-6 day weeks, 12hr a day, to be able to do it.

I had thought it would take months to come across anything to fit what I was looking for so I put the post up figuring there wouldn't be much response for a while. My plan is to get something I otherwise couldnt, and over a period of 4 years or so (which is the time it will take to save to get the boys there) work on it as we can afford things to end up with a decent to really nice rifle at the end. My hope is that it will keep the interest the boys are showing plus add the curiosity of seeing it in action. Not to mention guaranteeing a place in their hearts so I know it will be taken care of for years to come after I can no longer use it.

It's pretty heard to find a beat up, unusable, in need of repair or not very well taken care of big bore.
I suspect most people in the states buy them and keep them in their safes dreaming of the big safari.
I do have a possible fix though, let me make a few contacts..........

It's pretty heard to find a beat up, unusable, in need of repair or not very well taken care of big bore.
I suspect most people in the states buy them and keep them in their safes dreaming of the big safari.
I do have a possible fix though, let me make a few contacts..........
That's exactly why I figured it would take awhile and started looking now. Never know when someone will come across one that had been neglected in the back of a closet or attic of a relative though! Thanks for taking the time to look into it for me.

ALbert, I'll know next week, we need to go off line with this, maybe get a beat up XXX and put a 375 barrel on it then stock it up?

PM Sent

Doug, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this!

Albert,

Start by getting a hold of some gun shops in Alaska. Like others have said, in most if the US a .375 is a "keep the dream alive" safe queen. Some friends of mine traveled to Alaska for a roll your own caribou hunt last year. In the big state we found .375 rifles in all states of repair or disrepair at many gun shops. Grizz and Moose hunters alike carry them, in addition to folks who carry medium bores as insurance against bear. Ping some of the Alaskan based members and maybe they can hook you up with a local gunshop that deals more extensively in medium bores. Someone has a beater laying around. I was in close to the same boat as you whence planning my safari. Whitworth, Winchester, and CZ rifles were the best bargains for a fully functional bolt .375 at the time (2014). All of these were in the arena of $1000 give or take a hundred or two for a ready to go rifle. You may have a hard time finding anything for under $600 unless you can get into an area that has high use for these medium bore rifles (Alaska or Africa) and thus a higher amount and variability of stock. Good luck on your project, and good luck on your safari!

Country

Albert,

Start by getting a hold of some gun shops in Alaska. Like others have said, in most if the US a .375 is a "keep the dream alive" safe queen. Some friends of mine traveled to Alaska for a roll your own caribou hunt last year. In the big state we found .375 rifles in all states of repair or disrepair at many gun shops. Grizz and Moose hunters alike carry them, in addition to folks who carry medium bores as insurance against bear. Ping some of the Alaskan based members and maybe they can hook you up with a local gunshop that deals more extensively in medium bores. Someone has a beater laying around. I was in close to the same boat as you whence planning my safari. Whitworth, Winchester, and CZ rifles were the best bargains for a fully functional bolt .375 at the time (2014). All of these were in the arena of $1000 give or take a hundred or two for a ready to go rifle. You may have a hard time finding anything for under $600 unless you can get into an area that has high use for these medium bore rifles (Alaska or Africa) and thus a higher amount and variability of stock. Good luck on your project, and good luck on your safari!

Country
Doing just that at the moment thanks to another helpful member on here! Thanks for responding

Hi Albert,

I know some people think they are blasphemous, but a push feed Winchester Super Express from the 80's in good shooting condition, but which has been bubba'd a bit would probably run you around $500. That was my first .375 H&H and I still shoot it quite a bit. Mine had been muzzle braked (which in my mind IS blasphemous) and the stock had been shortened. I pulled the hideous contraption they made as a recoil pad off and had the gunsmith cut the threading off the end of the barrel and recrown it. all for probably $80. I put a nice new rubber pad on that was thick and brought it back to factory LOP.

For a push feed, they are head and shoulders above the remington 700, with a strong sako style extractor and a smooth bolt. Fit and finish on mine was excellent, aside from the bubba'ing and I paid $600 for it but it was in pretty good shape. I didn't even have to find it. Local gun shop owners typically have a number of "regulars" that come in. My LGS has a paper pad in the back and if you tell him what you want at the price you want it, he will writie in down and do his very best to find it for you via his connections. Perhaps you could work something like that out with one of your gunshops. Anyway, hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois