Literature on game animals

Redsunrise

Reaction score
I would like to hear some recommendations on literature concerning (east) african game animals. Any (field) guides, studies, etc. on general identification, habit(at), etc. that are helpful in academic studie of the animals living in africa:D.

Field Guide to the Larger Mammals of Africa

Hi Red,
i suggest you try a book by Chris and Tilde Stuart entitled, "FIELD GUIDE TO THE LARGER MAMMALS OF AFRICA".You will surely love this book.The authors are experienced and have written some other books on african game.

Field Guide to National Parks of East Africa

Hello Redsunrise, may I also suggest "A FIELD GUIDE TO THE LARGER MAMMALS OF AFRICA" by Jean Dorst and Pierre Dandelot. Collins Press 1970. also, "A FIELD GUIDE TO THE NATIONAL PARKS OF EAST AFRICA" by John G. Williams

Last edited:
Jerome:

I suggest that you add the "SCI Record Book of Trophy Animals, African edition," to your list, and right up at the top.

Not only will you find the most complete natural history text anywhere for every African game animal and its various subspecies, but there also are maps and descriptions showing where these animals are found, photos of the largest specimens taken by SCI members, and lists of where, when and with whom the best trophies were taken.

Rowland Ward's "Records of Big Game" and the others on your list are good references, but the SCI book is best. You can buy it in a hard copy or on-line, too.

Bill Quimby

SCI Record Book of Trophy Animals & RW Records of Big Game Book

Bill, You're right.

For information on the Safari Club International (SCI) Record Book of Trophy Animals and the Rowland Ward Records of Big Game Book click here.

Safari Club International (SCI) Record Book of Trophy Animals

Rowland Ward Records of Big Game Book

Last edited by a moderator:
Behavior Guide to African Mammals

Hi Redsunrise,

I would recommend the following book. The BEHAVIOR GUIDE to AFRICAN MAMMALS by Richard Despard Estes. This book is printed in the USA by A WAKE FOREST STUDUIM BOOKs ( WFS ). This book covers tribal traits, distribution, geology, social organization, activity, postures and locomotion, social behavior, reproduction, parent offspring behavior and anti predator behavior.

I learned a lot from it and I am sure you will to.

Thanks a lot for all the replies:). I'll have a busy time reading all of the recommended books and links:D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg