Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Lions, trophy hunting and the US government – the 27 facts you need to know

The US government has changed the rules relating to lion trophy imports. I have attempted to summarise their report of circa 64,000 words into 1,700 words, including 27 important facts about lions and trophy hunting that everyone should know.

The US government’s Fish and Wildlife Service (USFW) recently reclassified the subspecies of lions occurring in southern and eastern Africa to ‘Threatened’ (likely to become ‘Endangered’ in the foreseeable future) and the subspecies occurring in the rest of Africa and India to ‘Endangered’ (on the brink of extinction). At the same time, USFW changed rules relating to the import of sport-hunted trophies, to address a perceived shortcoming in the sustainability of trophy hunting of wild lions.

In arriving at these conclusions USFW considered a raft of information from scientific sources, which they presented in a lengthy and totally absorbing report. I would encourage you to set aside a few hours and read the USFW document as it contains many informative facts that I have excluded out of necessity, or at best considerably shortened.

Ernest Hemingway on safari in 1934

Here, then, is my summary:

1. Historical lion ranges included most African countries from Greece through eastern Europe, the Middle East and India.

2. The lion has since been extirpated from all of Europe, the Middle East and north Africa and now occurs only in the Gir Forests of India and in some countries of sub-Saharan Africa.

3. In Africa lions now occur in 8% of their historical range, and are restricted mainly to protected areas and surrounding conservancies.

4. Lions are difficult to count – due to low densities, large ranges, cryptic coloration, nocturnal and wary habits. The earliest estimates of lion abundance in Africa were educated guesses made during the latter half of the 20th century, as follows:

i) Myers (1975) wrote: “Since 1950, their numbers may well have been cut in half, perhaps to as low as 200,000 in all or even less.”

ii) Ferreras and Cousins predicted lion abundance in Africa in 1980 to be 75,800.

iii) Riggio et al. (2013)—estimated lion population sizes ranging from 23,000 to 40,000

iv) Bauer et al. (2015) estimate the lion population in Africa to be between 18,841 and 31,394 (although many believe that 20,000 is closer to the mark).

v) In 2015, the Government of Gujarat completed its latest census, estimating 523 lions in India.

©Anton Kruger

5. Sample populations were measured between 1993 and 2014, with results that varied greatly, but broadly suggest that unfenced populations declined rapidly and fenced populations did not.

6. Lion populations in all but five countries are estimated to have dropped by 60% between 1994 and 2014, while populations in five countries (India, Botswana, South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe) are estimated to have increased by an average of 12% over that period. These numbers are rough estimates.

7. The largest lion population in Africa is found in Botswana’s Okavango Delta, which experienced a reduction over that period, and it is estimated that even this area will lose a further one third of its population over the next 20 years.

8. In East Africa, the lion population of the Serengeti is the only one not to have decreased over that period.

9. Trophy hunting was included in the list of the four main threats that lions face – the others being habitat loss, loss of prey base and human-lion conflict. Other related factors include deleterious effects due to small populations and climate change, inadequate regulatory mechanisms and weak management of protected areas.

10. Documented declines in lion populations of Africa are a result, in part, of mismanaged trophy hunting (numerous studies listed).

11. As of May 2014, approximately 18 countries in Africa allowed legal hunting of lions for trophies (although hunts only took place in nine of those). Of these all but three experienced rapid population declines between 1994 and 2014.

12. Where trophy hunting occurs, quotas are set by the government. Two primary concerns have been raised by the scientific community with regard to current lion quotas. These are that (1) existing quotas are set above sustainable levels, and (2) the data used for setting quotas is inconsistent and not scientifically based.

13. Of the nine countries allowing trophy hunting of lions in 2013, eight have quotas set higher than current recommendations.

14. South Africa’s lion hunting industry is predominantly of captive bred lions, with little impact on wild lion populations.

15. Proponents support trophy hunting as a conservation tool for the lion if it is practiced in a sustainable and scientifically based manner because it can provide incentives for the conservation of large tracts of prime habitat and funding for park and reserve management, anti-poaching activities, and security activities.

16. As habitat loss has been identified as one of the primary threats to lion populations, it is notable that the total amount of land set aside for hunting throughout Africa exceeds the total area of the national parks and accounts for approximately half of the amount of viable habitat currently available to lions.

17. When the value of lions in areas outside national parks is diminished, those areas are likely to be converted to forms of land use less suitable for lions, such as agriculture, livestock pastures, or areas of resource extraction, making lions even more vulnerable to expanding human settlement

18. The report identified six key trophy hunting practices undermining sustainable management of lions:

i) A lack of scientifically based quota that results in excessive harvests;

ii) A lack of enforcement in age restrictions, which leads to unsustainable harvests, increased rates of infanticide, and population declines;

iii) Hunting of female lions in Namibia, which decreases reproduction success, thereby decreasing males available for trophy hunting;

iv) The use of fixed quotas (fee has to be paid regardless of whether a lion is killed), which encourages hunters to be unselective in their take of a trophy (i.e., they will kill younger, less desirable males);

v) A lack of minimum hunt lengths or minimum lengths that are too short to allow hunters the time needed to be more selective in their take of trophies;

vi) General problems associated with management of trophy hunting, including corruption, allocation of concessions, and lack of benefits to communities and recognition of the important role they play in conservation.

©Hamish Paget-Brown

19. As individuals who display certain characteristics (such as largest size) are more likely to be harvested by trophy hunters, this type of selective removal will bring about genetic change in future generations, as those individuals are no longer contributing to the gene pool.

20. Trophy hunting concession areas are leased to operators without regard for the operators’ track record in conservation.

21. The main problem with mismanaged trophy hunting stems from excessive harvests and impacts associated with removal of males.

22. Male dispersal plays an important role in determining the level of inbreeding in lion populations. The fewer number of males present to contribute genes to the next generation, the more inbred the population will be. Therefore, not only does dispersal impact inbreeding, so does the loss of male lions due to excessive trophy hunting and infanticide.

23. Unless reforms are made to the current management of trophy hunting, excessive harvests will further contribute to declines in the species across its African range.

24. Certain aspects of the current lion bone trade suggest that the potential for the trade to impact wild lion populations may be high.

25. Evidence also indicates “well established” links between South Africa’s legal lion bone trade and the Xaysavang Network, an international wildlife trafficking syndicate that is also involved in the illicit rhino horn trade in South Africa.

26. Although current lion bone trade is predominantly from captive-bred lions, evidence suggests the incentive to poach wild lions for the bone trade may currently exist.

27. Based on the effect of the tiger bone trade on tiger populations, if current conditions continue unchanged, there is considerable potential for extensive poaching of wild lions in order to meet demand.

©Kevin Pluck

Some of my thoughts:

These are my own thoughts and do not represent those of Africa Geographic or any of the passionate team that work with me.

There is no doubt that this is a complex issue. But, as is so often the case, it is possible to rise above the emotion and complexities to single out the elephant in the room.

When it comes to wild lions, it has become clear that the theory of a well-managed and sustainable trophy hunting industry is just that – theory. In practice, with the exception of a few well-managed areas, the trophy hunting of wild lions is speeding up the demise of wild populations across Africa. Please do read the USFW report if you would like further evidence for this.

Surely it’s pointless going on any further about how trophy hunting could contribute to a lion conservation strategy. We know for certain that lion populations are crashing, and that trophy hunting is playing a role in that crash. In other words, trophy hunting of wild lions has become part of the problem. Again, I’d highly recommend reading the USFW report if you have any doubts about this.

Perhaps it’s time to recognise that a total ban on trophy hunting of wild lions should be put in place until the wild populations recover. Or even forever. I’d like to think that humans have evolved and no longer see the need for this relic from the distant past.

It’s clear from the past few years that the rules of engagement have changed and that trophy hunters and their families will increasingly be targeted for special treatment – often by aggressive activists, but increasingly by Joe Soap, who just doesn’t buy the “trophy hunting is conservation” story any more. It’s also clear that lion populations are not what they used to be – and that the trophy hunting industry needs to start to recognise that fact.

We all need to recognise this need for change, and to adapt to modern day dynamics and realities. Perhaps, due largely to seismic events such as Cecil , we are seeing the beginning of massive change in an industry that needs a good shake down.

Keep the passion
Source: africageographic
by Simon Espley
Posted: December 30, 2015

Attachments

• lion-namibia1.jpg
    lion-namibia1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 171
  • etosha-lion.jpg
    etosha-lion.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 202
  • lion-namibia.jpg
    lion-namibia.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 240
  • ernest_hemingway_on_safari.jpg
    ernest_hemingway_on_safari.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 317
Last edited by a moderator:
ANTI-GEOGRAPHIC, an authority on facts. :A Ill:

Simple Simon says, jump!

16. As habitat loss has been identified as one of the primary threats to lion populations, it is notable that the total amount of land set aside for hunting throughout Africa exceeds the total area of the national parks and accounts for approximately half of the amount of viable habitat currently available to lions.

SO, WHAT'S YOUR SOLUTION SIMON?
HUNTING BANS.

Oh, look. #17. The AFRICANS WILL KILL THE LIONS.

17. When the value of lions in areas outside national parks is diminished, those areas are likely to be converted to forms of land use less suitable for lions, such as agriculture, livestock pastures, or areas of resource extraction, making lions even more vulnerable to expanding human settlement.

Like New York City is "Less suitable" for lions. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

UNSUITABLE

There is NO LION HUNTING IN BOTSWANA. Find a Lion in the "less suitable" farms around
Ghanzi. EXTIRPATED. NO LIONS!

PROOF.

(Perhaps, Simon played too much Wheres Waldo? as a kid.)

Simple Simon says find the Lion.

water-hole-cattle.jpg

There are the facts Simon.

Last edited:
Gee I have an educated guess that we estimate that it indicates that to the best of our knowledge that studies that are difficult at best that in 20 years as is now and though there is no evidence that these people are full of shit!!!!!!

The report does not call for a ban at all. From the USFWS report:

"Summary of Trophy Hunting
If trophy hunting of lions is part of a scientifically based management program, it can provide considerable benefits to the species by reducing or removing incentives to kill lions in retaliation for livestock losses, and by reducing the conversion of lion habitat to agriculture. Trophy hunting, if managed well and with local communities in mind, can bring in needed revenue, jobs, and a much-needed protein source to impoverished local communities, demonstrating the value of lions (Groom 2013, pp. 1-3; Lindsey et al. 2006, pp. 283, 289). In addition, the amount of habitat that has been set aside by range countries specifically for trophy hunting has greatly increased the range and habitat of lions and their prey base, which contrasts the overall ongoing rate of habitat destruction occurring in Africa. The total amount of land set aside for trophy hunting throughout Africa exceeds the total area of the national parks, providing half the amount of viable lion habitat (Chardonnet et al.2010, p. 34; Packer et al. 2006, pp. 9-10)."

The goal of this report, as I read it, appears to require a harvest that allows for the benefits of sport hunting, while limiting the downside of over harvest. The report effectively limits the offtake to lions >6 yrs old, and limit it to 1 lion for a designated area. The report notes that limiting the age alone to >6 could make actual quota setting redundant. The challenge identified is creating an openly transparent system of regulation and enforcement when corruption is so prevalent. Why anyone seek a ban when the benefits of a good system are so important to the viability of a conservation program is beyond me. On the contrary, could this report be a good tool to remove some of the corruption and bad practice?

So, SIMPLE SIMON... where are all the HORDES of lion ( and elephant by the way ) that are roaming the plains of Kenya, where hunting was BANNED decades ago? Has this INCREASED the lion population in Kenya? NO.....IN BREEDING is rife, as well as lion poaching in this area.
I am going there in August for a foto safari and will submit my report on the condition of the Kenyan lions, particularly the Ngoro Ngoro Crater prides.
BRICKBURN has nailed the BOTSWANA lion issue...
Simple Simon... I personally am also SO TIRED OF THIS CECIL CRAP.... ALL you simple guys jump on the band wagon over ONE INCIDENT and then crucify the entire industry with your uneducated warra warra..... the killing of Cecil WAS a tragedy... we all agree but it was ONE incident... crucify those guilty parties by all means.. like one would do to a murderer or rapist in our cities!!

Does YOUR APPARENT theory then NOT support CAPTIVE BRED LION HUNTING????
Surely, IF the pressure is on the WILD LIONS, both from hunting and SUITABLE LAND deprivation, then it would help the WILD LION population if ( in your mind) US BLOOD THIRSTY, VILE, DEPRIVED HUNTERS could then vent our BLOOD LUST on these many captive bred lions and leave the wild lions to roam and breed prolifically like you intimate??
What are YOU going to do to protect the WILD lion that due to land pressure, invades local community farming areas and gets killed by hunting tribesmen or even worse, poisoning them off??

Ban hunting lions? A slippery slope and then what's next, cape buffalo? On the topic of "bans", I can remember when hunting was banned in one of our national parks, Valley Forge, and the deer denisity zoomed to 241 per SQUARE MILE! The anti-s fought forever to stop the plan to reduce their numbers even though the deer were having a severe impact on everything else that lived in the park. Eventually common sense prevailed and this year another "reduction" will take place to get the numbers down to a SUSTAINABLE 31 to 35 per square mile. Compare those two number and you can see how NO HUNTING is NOT the way to control wildlife.

What I don't get it that the report is actually full of information that is helpful to the sport hunting industry: an acknowledgement that it generates almost $30 million in revenue, $100,000 of support benefits to a community in the form of wells, medical care, schools, related economic spinoffs etc etc. Yet, the only press is from anti-hunters who totally misrepresent the facts and call for a ban!:A Bang Head: Where is the positive message from the hunting groups. Perhaps Mr. Ivan Carter can make this a part of his message? Where else will it happen?

Well first of all the USFWS decided to upgrade the status of the lion on their own and not through or with the international body CITES. As far as I know CITES has not decided to upgrade the status of African lions but hey USFWS knows better than the rest of the world:rolleyes: And I also find it rather ironic that this ban came after the Cecil affair and all of the drama that was stirred up by it.

But notwithstanding this, I am still confused what the USFWS intends to accomplish with this report. They are saying that trophy hunting might contribute to the downfall of some lion populations. And their intent is to prevent this. However this ban will only make these lions and others to lose their value and when locals start killing nuisance lions they will be far more indiscriminate and kill a lot more lions than even the most non-discerning trophy hunter. Lions are threatened because when they lose their monetary value or don't have any in the first place the locals kill these dangerous predators, they don't see a reason to tolerate them. So what is the US gonna do send in its army to have boots on the ground to save the lions? Operation Lion Freedom or Operation Save the Lions anyone :ROFLMAO:?

... They are saying that trophy hunting might contribute to the downfall of some lion populations. And their intent is to prevent this...

But from my reading of it I thought that the identified reason for this was the failure of the government to set and control quotas properly. Which is why Hunting groups have got to get on top of this and use it! We have a platform to advocate for what we want (This report found that studies showed up to 99% of USA hunters will prefer to hunt with a conservation minded guide) and these same PH's are the ones responsible for doubling the available territory for lions as found in the report. Good grief there is loads of ammunition for good PR with this. Imagine for something like the following hit the social media:

"PHASA is concerned that the actions of the USFWS will undermine the good work of its members. As the reports states this is a 30 million dollar industry that is responsible for doubling the area available for lion conservation...we are doing the following to encourage the government of...to employ best practices etc.."

What I don't get it that the report is actually full of information that is helpful to the sport hunting industry: an acknowledgement that it generates almost $30 million in revenue, $100,000 of support benefits to a community in the form of wells, medical care, schools, related economic spinoffs etc etc. Yet, the only press is from anti-hunters who totally misrepresent the facts and call for a ban!:A Bang Head: ...............

That is why I call it ANTI GEOGRAPHIC. They take a report, share some of the facts and then choose to reach irrational misleading conclusions and foist them off as facts being passed off by the USFWS.

22. Male dispersal plays an important role in determining the level of inbreeding in lion populations. The fewer number of males present to contribute genes to the next generation, the more inbred the population will be. Therefore, not only does dispersal impact inbreeding, so does the loss of male lions due to excessive trophy hunting and infanticide.

Science is not always used consistently. If you are into the human evolution thing the big trend is the "Biological Adam" and "Biological Eve" see link below https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve If this is correct then there has been a great deal of inbreeding in us humans. Hasn't slowed us down. Why would it slow down the lions. Just thinking(n)

Unfortunately here in the USA, especially over the last 7 years, facts and data, are irrelevant in the court of radical Liberal opinion.

Ok, so the US has banned importing sport hunted lion and Australia also. My question is how much does that actually effect the ammount of lions hunted? Are US hunters the ones who are mostly buying free range hunts? Also just because you are not able to bring back the trophy does not mean you can't do the hunt. I am sure there are hunters doing this with elephant from countries that do not allow ivory imports.

Fellas, fellas! Liberal America at its worst. Scientific facts mean little to the anti hunting community. Now I'm no wildlife authority by any means, so tell me what the hell does this all have to do with fenced lion hunting? Nothing. This is just an excuse to stop this type of hunt simply because they just don't like it. Surely " wild Lion" populations have decreased for many reasons and something needs to be done. Poaching is rampant, poisoning by locals, and of course simple human expansion is encroaching on the land. But again this has nothing to do with breeders of lions for trophy hunting. No matter how you feel about canned hunts, it has nothing to do with lion populations decreasing. There is simply no reason to stop fenced lion hunting , and the USFW should make that exception in permits.

Ok, so the US has banned importing sport hunted lion and Australia also. My question is how much does that actually effect the ammount of lions hunted? Are US hunters the ones who are mostly buying free range hunts? Also just because you are not able to bring back the trophy does not mean you can't do the hunt. I am sure there are hunters doing this with elephant from countries that do not allow ivory imports.
I'm not sure your going to get many hunters spend that kind of money just for the pictures.

18. The report identified six key trophy hunting practices undermining sustainable management of lions:

i) A lack of scientifically based quota that results in excessive harvests;

Right, so, we've been asked how the Captive bred Lion hunting in RSA contributes to Lion numbers and its conservation. What about setting a yearly quota based on percentage of Lions held by the breeder. The breeder will then be responsible for the permits, and in this way, each permit will be ticked off against his registered name with the controlling authority. For instance a breeder's quota is set at 20% of his population. If he has 100 Lions, he will be allowed to take off 20 Lions for that year, and he will be inspected every year. The quota could also be sex specific which should aid in keeping balance.
In this way, the breeder will then be rewarded by increasing his number of Lions, and increasing his quota for the following year.

Last edited:
I like that. I've said how does captive breeding effect lion populations thus the ban?

I think it's clever thinking Marius, but I don't think the anti hunters will not buy it. They "feel" any lion killed is a crime.

I think it's clever thinking Marius, but I don't think the anti hunters will not buy it. They "feel" any lion killed is a crime.

Eric,
I understand that the image still has to be cleaned up. USFW is not worried about the image at this stage, but at the conservation value offered through Captive bred Lion hunting. This will increase the Lion numbers. We'll deal with the image cleansing at the next stage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois