Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
Reasonable article from a science based magazine vs. environmentalists.

The article has interesting perspective on lions in Africa and even considers trophy hunting on par with eco-tourism:

"Despite the utility of ecotourism and trophy hunting for lion conservation in general, only a small proportion of that revenue typically becomes available to wildlife managers."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ck-but-only-when-they-are-kept-behind-fences/

I think the comments about habitat loss, conflicts with locals and their domestic animals as well as the high cost to fund hit the nail on the head.

John

5B54CF06-0CA5-4146-88AD8ADB7C491BB3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing John

Thank you for posting this. I wonder, however, what industries manage the lion intensely in the South, thereby allowing the population to grow? From the abstract (I cannot get the full article) it notes that:

"African lion populations are declining everywhere, except in four southern countries (Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe)."

Where is most lion hunting in Africa taking place? Maybe there is more to measure than the dollars getting to the wildlife managers. What else is going on that others are generating the funds need to ensure the lion's survival?

http://m.pnas.org/content/112/48/14894.abstract

Thinking further on this article: Doesn't the fact that the apex predators are thriving also mean thay their prey base is thriving? I wonder if it is evidence that the countries in the South have a balanced ecosystem.

Now your talking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!