Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI; DSC
Hunted
Most of US, Canada, South America, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cameroon, Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia
I just heard that the high court in South Africa struck down the proposed regulations that would have increased the release period for captive bred lions from 6 months to two (2) years before the lions can be hunted.

The game ranchers who raise lions, and the various outfitters equipped to support lion hunts in RSA, argued strenuously against the regulatory change.

I have in the past said that if the property is sufficiently large for the animal to allude the hunters (I would put that at roughly 10,000 acres or more) then there is a conservation benefit to lion hunting in South Africa. People still have the opportunity to hunt lions without escalating the price to the point were only the richest people can afford to hunt the remaining completely free-roaming populations of lion and it will take some pressure of the lions in those areas where they can be hunted.

I am not suggesting that its right for me, or for everyone, but I think it has a legitimate place in the modern hunting arena. If its ok to high fence other game and hunt, then I fail to see the distinction. Others will certainly disagree.

But I do find it interesting that after most people thought the decision was certain to uphold the proposed regulations, the arguments in favor of the existing lion hunting regulations swayed the Court.

So what do you think, is this good or bad for the future of lion hunting, or safari hunting in general?

I agree it is a good thing. If the property is large enough to allow the Lion to elude then it is ethical to hunt them.

It's a good thing that lion hunting continues in SA...and the release time is 6 months and not 2 years. I get asked all the time by the general public, that know nothing about hunting and they wonder if they can hunt lion in Africa...I say "yes" and that is positive thing. For if there was no demand, there would be very little lion populations left.

Have you ever seen a member of the public....especially kids....see a lioness...full mounted....they get really excited to see a lion....and I think that is a very good thing.

Being a father...to my step-daughter...she and my nieces love the lion...and see nothing wrong with hunting them....maybe it's because I put a real positive spin on the subject, and they haven't been brain washed by the liberal media.

Every hunters action in public effects the future of wildlife conservation, hunting and fishing.

I think is a good thing and agree with Cleathorn in every aspect .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg