bulletsafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana
It is said that you hunt leopard with your brain, elephant with your feet, buffalo with your guts, and you hunt lion with your heart! Lion can be hunted throughout Africa and are a fantastic hunting experience. These big cats are a prized trophy and are pure excitement to hunt. You are scared 3 times on a lion hunt, first when you see the big tracks on the ground, next when you hear his intimidating roar, and for a third time when you lay your eyes on him. These big cats have a territory that they protect and hunting areas that they frequent. For baiting purposes larger baits are set up closer to the ground. High enough that the lions can feed with some effort and higher than Hyena can reach. Guts and stomach contents are scattered around the bait with the hope of drawing the cat in by smell. Lion hunting can be done in a blind waiting for a lion to feed or can be done by stalking the bait, typically early in the mornings to find the lion there at first light. Once on the bait, lions are typically easier to get a shot at than a leopard.

General Lion Information

Male Lions: Average length 9 feet (2.7 meters)
Weight 350-450 lbs. (157-180 Kg.)
Height 36 in. (90 cm.)

Female Lions: Average length 8 feet (2.4 meters)
Weigh 250-300 lbs. (112-136 Kg.)
Height 30 in. (75 cm.)

Lengths include the tail. Height measured at the shoulder.

Lifespan of a Lion: 12 years in the wild, 20 years in captivity. Females typically live a few more years in the wild.

Maximum speed: 30 mph over 50 yds.

Biggest Jump: 12 feet (3.7 meters) vertical, 36 feet (10.8 meters) horizontal.

Gestation period: 105-115 days. (About 3 1/2 - 4 months)

lion-01-3795811d82.jpg
lion-02-4e387409d2.jpg
lion-03-f1d42c90c7.jpg
lion-04-6280763525.jpg
lion-07-9d6a720138.jpg
lion-08-f6e06a70f1.jpg
lion-09-4bfea06ee4.jpg
lion-10-cf68bfffe6.jpg
lion-11-78d3a89f72.jpg
lion-2015-01-639a81ee94.jpg
lion-2015-02-579fe98bc8.jpg

Great information Nathan! I just hope import rules will be established for US hunters in the future!

Nathan, some fantastic lion pics, you can truly spot a wild lion from a mile away. PS, whats the situation on the govt stopping all CITIES export for the year?

Great information Nathan! I just hope import rules will be established for US hunters in the future!
we are working on that now. It is a lot of information to compile but it is being gathered in an effort to prove what we already know - lion hunting saves lion and habitat in Africa.
The ball will be in the court of the USFWS to deny or approve importation applications for Americans. It will be allowed if they consider the facts and are not politically motivated in their decision.
The acres we protect for what we hunt is a sustainable model and the only one that will work for these areas.

Nathan, some fantastic lion pics, you can truly spot a wild lion from a mile away. PS, whats the situation on the govt stopping all CITIES export for the year?
Hi Simon - if I am on the right track I believe this is due to the guy that does the final export/inspection/stamps the paperwork for all the CITIES animals in TZ has lost his job...with no one to fill the current void there is no way to get the CITIES paperwork finalized. My sources say that the higher ups in the government will be assigning this job to a new person soon and thing will be back to normal.

Great Nathan....wish you a brilliant season.

Little chance that USFWS will use common sense and not let politics, public opinion and political correctness influence their decisions.

Nice pics Nathan, thanks for the update also!

Nathan, some fantastic lion pics, you can truly spot a wild lion from a mile away.

Man, isn't that the truth.... I'm not pretending to be an expert at all, but in these pictures it is SO obvious!!!!

The next time someone asks how to tell the difference between wild and farm raised lion I'm just going to link them to this thread!

Thanks for sharing Nathan. Lots of fun to dream about doing that hunt....

Hi Guys - we are back in the USA!
We had a great season in TZ and RSA - great clients, old friends and the last real adventure on earth led to some great experiences that will be with us forever!
Life is short - get out there and chase your dream...
As usual a big shout out to the crew and supporters here at AH!

Bullet Safaris show schedule 2018:
DSC / Dallas: booth 720
HSC / Houston: booth 116
SCI / Vegas: booth 553 and 652
NRA / Dallas: booth 4926

See yall there - Nathan Askew 573 587 1234

Nathan...............tried to visit with you at DSC last year but you had too many people lined up wanting to talk with you. I won't be at the upcoming DSC, but will likely be at the HSC the end of January.

Dave

Nathan,

Best of luck during the show season. I hope to speak with you in Dallas

Nathan...............tried to visit with you at DSC last year but you had too many people lined up wanting to talk with you. I won't be at the upcoming DSC, but will likely be at the HSC the end of January.

Dave
Hi Dave - I remember (I think by the time I phoned you had left the building!). At HSC grab me by the ear and lets talk. looking forward to it - thanks for the note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross