Lion export/import questions

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
I haven't been following the news as closely as I should; but I might have an opportunity to hunt lion in South Afrika next year. What are the current regs for exporting trophies to the U.S.? Ive heard some airlines are refusing to ship trophies??? If that's the case how do I get my trophy home?

What do I need to do before I leave? Is it anything different then when I hunted plains game in 2012?

search "US Imports Lion" right here on AH and you will get lots of information at your finger tips.

Odds are you will not be doing the importing yourself but using a service. I would just let the importers handle it, they will take care of the permits, and all the other paperwork that you will need.

I haven't been following the news as closely as I should; but I might have an opportunity to hunt lion in South Afrika next year. What are the current regs for exporting trophies to the U.S.? Ive heard some airlines are refusing to ship trophies??? If that's the case how do I get my trophy home?

What do I need to do before I leave? Is it anything different then when I hunted plains game in 2012?

You send it by sea. It takes 28 days from Durbin, SA to New York. It's not hard at all to ship lion. You don't need to do anything different before you leave accept to let your Import agent know that your hunting lion.

image.jpg

Just got mine home last month!

Soooo, am I reading correctly, that its still legal NOW; but by Sept 2016 maybe not??? AND Im guessing even if I book now that wont have any bearing on a hunt after the decision? I cant go any sooner then next Sept...

The rules as they are now you can still bring them back. There is no one that knows for sure what will happen down the road. IF you want a lion making plans now is your best bet as time is not on us hunters side I think. I think we have a year or two before they make it very hard to bring lions back. That is just a guess as no one really knows other then usfw.
IMG_0961.jpg

I have a lioness getting ready to ship but ocean freight has changed since charlie shipped his. I could not get my sons lioness sent by ocean freight. I am shipping her by air in the next two weeks after we get final permits. Quote for air freight was 2400.00 to jfk for full mount lioness and 10 plains game animals in same crate. I thought that was not to bad really.

Just to clarify a bit more, lion/lioness is still completely legal and exportable to the U.S., from the RSA. There will ALWAYS be a service available readily eager to ship your trophy lion either by sea or air regardless of what Delta and the other cowards are doing. The outfitter will handle all the licensing and permitting on this end and provide direction for importation back into the U.S.

As for the future of lion hunting in Africa.. No one can say for sure. There is speculation every year, and the Cecil debacle only added fuel to the fire. If you are certain for next September, I would not hesitate to book your hunt. In other words, I wouldn't wait. Prices are also very good right now....Feel free to contact us if we can offer more help or advice.

The first step is to call the SSI team and speak to SSI. I have used them for my trip 2 months ago where a lion was one of the animals I took. They make it soooo easy and they make sure everything is done right. You will sleep well at night knowing you and your trophies are in good hands.
image.jpg

Oh and they are just about ready to ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, just a thought but if you don't already use them and plan on bringing your rifle Henry @riflepermits.com and his team are awesome and worth every penny of the nominal fee they charge. I was off the plane, cleared through customs, and had my rifle in about 45 min. 10 of them were waiting on our luggage at the carousel.

Soooo, am I reading correctly, that its still legal NOW; but by Sept 2016 maybe not??? AND Im guessing even if I book now that wont have any bearing on a hunt after the decision? I cant go any sooner then next Sept...
I wouldn't be too overly concerned. In the unlikely event they do ban lion imports any reputable outfitter will work with you and not stick you with a hunt you can't do.

That's not a bad price at all Bill for flying your crate back!

I did forget to say I am using coppersmith to clear this crate in new york. It is costing 450.00 for that service and they are clearing my friends crate at the same time of all plains game for another 75.00. Been happy so far with the service by them and the cost they charge. Will do a post on how everything worked out once I have everything at my house.

The rules as they are now you can still bring them back. There is no one that knows for sure what will happen down the road. IF you want a lion making plans now is your best bet as time is not on us hunters side I think. I think we have a year or two before they make it very hard to bring lions back. That is just a guess as no one really knows other then usfw.View attachment 48810

I have a lioness getting ready to ship but ocean freight has changed since charlie shipped his. I could not get my sons lioness sent by ocean freight. I am shipping her by air in the next two weeks after we get final permits. Quote for air freight was 2400.00 to jfk for full mount lioness and 10 plains game animals in same crate. I thought that was not to bad really.

That's a great price! I am going to be using Hunters international for the import of mine.

Henry rifles is definitely the way to go as well. There fees are very reasonable and they get you through quick!

I use/recommend Trans African Taxidermists. to-date, I have not had any issues with them exporting Lion trophies to the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg