Limpopo Big Game Safaris Soutpansberg Mountain Concession

Discussion in 'GREAT DEALS on Hunts Worldwide' started by lbgsafaris, Mar 18, 2013.

1. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa Zimbabwe Mozambique
    We are proud to announce that we have secured 5000ha of hunting land on top of the Soutpansberg Mountains. Home an abundant number of plains game species. This is no new area as we have hunted the property in the past but have now obtained sole right to manage and hunt the land for the next five years to come.

Accommodation Fees

$2450.00 7 Days Plains Game 1 x Hunter 1 x PH
    $2100.00 7 Days Plains Game 2 x Hunter 1 x PH
    $3000.00 10 Days Plains Game 1 x Hunter 1 x PH
    $2800.00 10 Days Plains Game 2 x Hunter 1 x PH
    $1750.00 7 Days Observer fee
    $2500.00 10 Days Observers fee
    $000.00 Airport pick up Polokwane
    $700.00 Airport pick up OR Tambo JHB (Round Trip)

Camp (1).jpg Camp (2).jpg Camp (3).jpg

Accommodation Includes

01. Service of a Licensed Professional Hunter
    02. The service of trained trackers
    03. The service of trained skinners
    04. Hunting vehicle
    05. Field preparation of trophies
    06. Accommodation, meals and soft drinks as well as beer and wine in moderation
    07. Daily laundry service

Accommadation do not include

01. All air travel before and after the contracted period of the Safari
    02. Accommodation and travel charges incurred before and after the contracted period of the Safari
    03. Transfer by road from international airports to camp (OR Tambo)
    04. Trophy fees for animals taken or wounded
    05. All air charters
    06. Gratuities to Professional hunters and other staff members
    07. Preparation, packing, documentation and export of trophies
    08. Rifle hire and ammunition
    09. Travelling between concessions

Hunt able species available on the property

$450.00 AFRICAN WILD CAT
    $450.00 AFRICAN CIVET
    $120.00 BABOON
    $980.00 BLUE WILDEBEEST
    $900.00 BUSHBUCK
    $550.00 BUSHPIG
    $500.00 CARACAL
    $300.00 DUIKER GREY
    $250.00 GENET
    $3500.00 GIRAFFE
    $1500.00 GREYSBUCK SHARPS
    $1200.00 HYENA BROWN (Not exportable to USA)
    $600.00 HONEY BADGER
    $350.00 IMPALA
    $1500.00 KLIPSPRINGER
    $1850.00 KUDU GREATER up to 59 1/2 inch
    $3000.00 KUDU GREATER over 60 inch
    $100.00 MONKEY VERVET
    $300.00 WARTHOG
    $2200.00 WATERBUCK

Trail cam pictures taken in preparation of an upcoming Brown Hyena hunt

SUNP0010.JPG SUNP0011.JPG SUNP0012.JPG SUNP0023.JPG SUNP0024.JPG SUNP0025.JPG

The area has a good population of Leopard and we will be applying for a CITES permit for the 2014 season in this particular area.

luiperd 062.JPG luiperd 067.JPG luiperd 070.JPG

Attached Files:

2. rtawy

rtawy New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa
    Anyone looking for a great hunt in the mountains with a hard working, knowledgeable PH that doesn't quit, Bossie is that guy. Beautiful place with awesome game. I can't wait to get back!

3. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    The honey badger would make a cool mount! I liked your trail cam pictures.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    That Leopard is no slouch either.

5. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Thanks for your comments guys. This area is really a great place for predators such as Leopard and Hyena. Not to forget the monster Kudu bulls as well.

The trail cam was actually put up a few minutes after we saw the Leopard. We first saw the Leopard when it came on to the rocks while we were calling for Klipspringer, only then did we see that our Hyena bait was hit between 4:00pm to 6:30pm.

Honey Badgers do make wonderful mounts and by the looks of it, there are plenty Badgers up there. Anyone looking for a Honey Badger, this is an area that I would recommend. They take a day or to come to the bait but once they are there they stay on the bait for as long as the bait hold.

The Hyena feed on the bait in the early mornings not to get in conflict with the Badgers.

Attached Files:

6. dtarin09

dtarin09 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI ; Rowland Ward
    Hunted:
    United States ; South Africa
    Can you please share what a typical hunt for Honey Badger looks like? At night/day? Usual target distance if shooting over bait? Are they solitary animals or do they travel in pairs?

Thanks,

dt

7. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hi DT

This is a very interesting question, as very little is actually known about Honey Badgers.
    But with the limited knowledge I have I will try to answer as accurate as possible.

Badgers are solitary animals but finding two or more together is not uncommon. They are nocturnal animals but we have seen Badgers in the early morning as well as late afternoon.

Badgers mainly hunt for Spiders, Scorpions, Reptiles and Honey (Honey Badger) but will also scavenge on dead animals. Badgers are known to be very tuff and aggressive making then one of the most feared animals in Africa. Honey Badgers will take over a bait from anything including Leopard and Lion.

In South Africa Honey Badgers are listed under the Threatened Or Protected Species list (TOPS). Getting a permit to hunt one is not as easy as one would think. But with proper motivation a permit can be obtained.
    From what we have experienced, Honey Badgers do not have a fixed time that they would come to bait. This makes the hunt a bit more difficult than others. They can come to bait any time during the night. Shooting distance would be around 30 to 50 yards depending on the surrounding and setup we have.

In this particular area we first had pictures of two Honey Badgers coming to the bait at the same time probably a male and a female and two weeks later only the male came to bait.

8. dtarin09

dtarin09 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI ; Rowland Ward
    Hunted:
    United States ; South Africa
    Bosman,

Thank you for the follow up and insight on the Honey Badgers habits, permits, and what hunting one might look like. This is definetly on my to do list! For an animal like this would you suggest using a .22 hornet or a larger caliber?

dt

9. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hi DT
    You are always welcome thanks.
    I have never thought about the .22 Hornet. I use to shoot one when I was about 6 years old and it proved to be a very good caliber at the time and still is so today. I took anything from Duiker to Kudu cows with it.
    The .22 Hornet would be a great caliber to use on Badgers or any of the smaller game we have.

10. Safari Afrika

Safari Afrika AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA - RMEF
    Hunted:
    South Africa - Botswana - Zimbabwe - USA - Namibia
    I would not suggest a 22 Hornetat all !!! I have hunted numerous badgers . I had one wounded with a 8x 68 went 400 yds with blood pouring both sides and he went in a small hole in the mountain among rocks ...... Never recovered. I have trailcam footage of one shot last year with 300 WIN MAG. The badger barely twitched an eye and the 300 did not get him from his feet. That is one solid piece of muscle and as tough as you get. Rather go big on this one .

11. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Thank for the information Richard.
    Badgers are tuff but I never thought they would be that tuff to get down.

12. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hi Guys

Thanks to each and every one who has sent me emails regarding the Mountain Concession. I have received numerous mails from across the globe for additional information on the area.

I have included a GOOGLE map for you all to have a look at. The area consists of three farms that are adjacent to each other. The tree farms belong to tree different owners that I have obtained sole hunting rights from.

The yellow lines on the map is high fences and the green lines are boundaries or cattle fence (free range blocks).

Most of the farms has roads that can be traveled by 4x4 vehicle where others areas are only accessible on foot.
    Due to the terrain and accessibility, this is a tuff area to hunt but very rewarding at the end.
    As I have mentioned before we have hunted the area in the past, so I have included some pictures of animal that we have taken in the area as well as some of the terrain itself.

In April we will be hunting the area for Hyena and Klipspringer, I will keep you posted on the hunt. In May we will be hunting for a Kudu bull in the 60 range. Hopefully we will be successful enough to post some pictures of that as well.

Happy Hunting and have a Blessed Easter.

Attached Files:

13. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Good Day Guys

Just an update on our upcoming Hyena Hunt

I had to rebait the area and change the location of the blind to have the wind right.
    This time I preferred to have ourselves elevated. I used scaffoldings to construct the blind and tied three chairs to the frame. The Hyena comes to the bait every night at around 10:00pm. According to the traicam pictures this particular Hyena seems to be a different one than the previous one I had on bait.
    But still he is a shooter and we will be in the blind soon.

Hyena Set Up.jpg SUNP0001.JPG SUNP0058.JPG SUNP0059.JPG SUNP0060.JPG

14. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Our weekend hunt in the mountains for the Brown Hyena did not work out as planned.
    On Friday night we were in the blind and ready for a long nights wait.
    At around 10:00pm the wind picked up and the weather got worst as the time went by. At around 12:00pm the clouds moved in and soon it was overcast and very cold. At 1:00am we could not stand the cold and it started to rain so we had to pull out and hope for better conditions the next night.

Well that was not going to happen.

We were out of camp at about 6:30am too look for a Kudu bull. Peter has hunted numerous Kudu's in the past but this time he was looking for something special.

Needless to say, the weather was against us. It would pour down, stop for 30min and pour again but still we gave it our best. We only saw about 3 bulls that was 50 maybe 53 but passed the on. At 11:00am we had to retreat back to camp as the weather did not allow us to hunt any further.

Carina managed to shoot a Baboon and it had to be caped.

4:45pm the weather cleared a bit and we were out again. We picked up a fresh Kudu track and decided to follow it into the mountain. I left my Wife and Fulo (one of my trackers) on the vehicle to keep an eye out, should the Kudu make his way up the Mountain. About 50yards from the vehicle we heard the rocks fall and all I could see was a grey body making its way through the dense bush. We ran up closer and found the Bull standing in a road looking back at the vehicle. All we could see is the back end of a huge Kudu bull. Well this is the one that got away.
    It started to get dark and we head back to camp.

Sunday morning we were out at 5:00am looking for Kudu. The weather had cleared a bit so we decided to hunt till 11:00am and call it a day. This time we managed to see more game but no big kudu. Only young bulls and cows.
    At 10:05 we decided that we were going back to camp. Fulo said we should take a road that we have not been on, so we decided that we might just as well do that as a last run.

On the bottom of the mountain ridge we saw 3 kudu cows and then the bull. Peter and I quickly got of the vehicle and instructed them to carry on. There were Kudu's everywhere, they ran up the mountain and stopped behind some thick brush. I could only see the bull's body as he was standing in a thicket. Then he turned and the first thing Peter asked was
    P. How big? How big is he?
    B. Wait I can't see him from the front.
    P. How big?
    B. 56 57
    P. Are you sure
    B. 56 maybe 57 but not less than 56, the left horn will be less though
    P. If he comes out I am taking him
    We waited another 15min before the bull turned as if he was going to clear the gap that Peter was watching. Just before he came into the gap he turned around and went back into the bush.
    B. Watch the other side, maybe he will come out there.
    P. I have it in sight.
    Another 10min went by before the bull moved again.
    P. Here he comes
    B. Wait I want to have another l............
    and then I heard the 30-06 sending the 200gr bullet to its target. The bull jumped and ran down the mountain in a way that I have never seen a Kudu run. He stopped about 50yard from where he was shot and dropped. I called the vehicle back and we all went up to have a closer look at Peter's kudu.
    I measured the bull R56 1/2" L55 1/2"

DSCF4512.jpg DSCF4493.jpg DSCF4505.jpg DSCF4485.jpg SUNP0037.JPG SUNP0038.JPG

15. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Nice kudu, Bosman!

16. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Very nice curl.

17. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    That really is a great looking Kudu. The curls are great on it. Looks like a great area to hunt. I found your airport pickup and return fee of $700 interesting. Some hunters won't even consider a place that charges for picking them up at the airport. Do you think that it has affected your business? Have a good season. Bruce

18. lbgsafaris

lbgsafaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hi Bruce
    We don't charge for airport pickup in Polokwane so that is free and 1 hour 30 min from the concession. Though if a client prefer to be picked up in JHB OR Tambo we do charge $700.00 return trip. Keep in mind that this is a 1000km round trip for us and it includes a meal after pick up and a meal before drop of.

Thanks for your input guys

19. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    That is pretty fair explanation....gas, vehicle costs and time is not free.

20. Gavin Lipjes

Gavin Lipjes AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Club bleu de Gascon, Gascon Saintongeois, Ariegeois
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, Spain and USA
    NICE Kudu there Bossie!