Leopard situation in South Africa

@billc , I agree there are plenty leopard in SA. I am sure PHASA will take the situation seriously and it will be resolved by 2017.
Agree completely.

Range states have to read the tea leaves. The evidence that USFWS wants for lions will have to be provided eventually for leopard - this is, after all, a CITES I animal. And likely for any other iconic animal that is anywhere near CITES, sooner or later.

Far better to be prepared before things are shut down. Again.

Constantly under attack we are. The pattern spreads throughout Africa. What next buffalo? Alligator? When will it end? Liberals are crushing us from every direction, our current administration hates guns, hunting , and the American way. What does this hold for the future? What happens to sportsman? We will become like the dinosaurs? Let's hope our children and their children can hunt as we all are doing. Cmon hunting advocates groups time to step it up , the fight is on greater now than I have ever seen it before.

Simon who did they ask for the info. Was it the outfitters who had the tags or were they dealing with phasa and hoping they could get the info for them. What a shame if it was shut down because of some missing paperwork.

Anyone in Sa that I talked to has said there is way more leopard around then anyone would think.

@billc I think CITIES allocate 150 Leopard permits for South Africa. Aroud 50-60 get given to Outfitters. I am not 100% sure of this but that is numbers that we keep on hearing.

If someone have seen better proof of these numbers it would be great to have them post for on here.

The Eastern Cape get CITIES permits but none has been issued.

@Wheels You have a great point with Zuma our wonderful President. We should challenge the DEA to a Zulu meeting to just check the members for their permits to have those leopard skins.

@billc I think CITIES allocate 150 Leopard permits for South Africa.

Yes.

Resolution Conf. 10.14 (Rev. CoP16)
Quotas for leopard hunting trophies and skins for personal use

RECALLING Resolution Conf. 8.10 (Rev.), adopted by the Conference of the Parties at its eighth meeting (Kyoto, 1992) and amended at its ninth meeting (Fort Lauderdale, 1994);

RECALLING that, with the exception of the rare cases of exemptions granted under Article VII of the Convention, commercial trade in Appendix‑I species is prohibited;

RECALLING that the leopard (Panthera pardus) is listed in Appendix I;

RECOGNIZING that in some sub-Saharan countries the population of the leopard is not endangered;

RECOGNIZING also that the killing of leopards may be sanctioned by countries of export in defence of life and property and to enhance the survival of the species;

RECOGNIZING further that these countries of export may authorize trade in such dead specimens in accordance with Resolution Conf. 2.11 (Rev.), adopted by the Conference of the Parties at its second meeting (San José, 1979) and amended at its ninth meeting, and may grant export permits in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article III of the Convention;

RECALLING that paragraph 3 (c) of Article III provides that an import permit shall be granted only when a Management Authority of the State of import is satisfied that the specimen is not to be used for primarily commercial purposes, and that paragraph 2 (a) of Article III provides that an export permit shall be granted only when a Scientific Authority of the State of export has advised that the export will not be detrimental to the survival of the species;

RECOGNIZING the importance of monitoring the utilization of quotas granted by this Resolution;

CONCERNED that Parties have not always submitted special reports on numbers of skins exported annually, in accordance with recommendation e) of Resolution Conf. 8.10 (Rev.) and similar recommendations of former Resolutions on the same subject, in time for the Secretariat to prepare reports for the Conference of the Parties;

RECOGNIZING the desire of the Parties that the commercial market for leopard skins should not be reopened;

THE CONFERENCE OF THE PARTIES TO THE CONVENTION

RECOMMENDS that:

a) in reviewing applications for permits to import whole skins or nearly whole skins of leopard (including hunting trophies), in accordance with paragraph 3 (a) of Article III, the Scientific Authority of the State of import approve permits if it is satisfied that the skins being considered are from one of the following States, which should not authorize the harvest for export of more of the said skins during any one calendar year (1 January to 31 December) than the number shown under ‘Quota’ opposite the name of the State, understanding that the skins may be exported in the year of harvest or in a subsequent year (for example, a country with a quota of 250 leopard skins for 2010 may authorize export of 50 leopard skins taken in 2010 during 2010, 150 of the leopard skins taken in 2010 may be exported during 2011, and 50 of the leopard skins taken in 2010 may be exported in 2012):

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 8.01.49 PM.png

b) in reviewing applications for permits to import whole skins or nearly whole skins of leopard, in accordance with paragraph 3 (c) of Article III, the Management Authority of the State of import be satisfied that the said skins are not to be used for primarily commercial purposes if:

i) the skins are acquired by the owner in the country of export and are being imported as personal items that will not be sold in the country of import; and

ii) the owner imports no more than two skins in any calendar year and their export is authorized by the legislation of the country of origin;

c) the Management Authority of the State of import permit the import of leopard skins in accordance with this Resolution only if:

i) each skin has a self-locking, non-reusable tag attached which indicates, at a minimum, the State of origin, the number of the specimen in relation to the annual quota and the calendar year in which the animal was taken in the wild – for example ZW 6/500 2010 indicating that Zimbabwe is the State of origin and that the specimen was taken in the wild in Zimbabwe in 2010 and received tag number 6 out of Zimbabwe’s quota of 500 for 2010:

ii) if the same information as is on the tag is recorded on the export document in block 9 or block 5 of the standard CITES permit form (and no information is required in block 11a); and

iii) the tag has, as a minimum, the following characteristics: a tamper-resistant, self-locking mechanism, heat resistance, inertia to chemical and mechanical processing, and alphanumeric information, which may include bar-coding, applied by permanent stamping;

d) Parties make every effort to ensure that skins are re-exported with the original tags intact;

e) if the original tags are lost, damaged, or removed from skins during processing, the country of re-export should tag such skins prior to re-export, with a 're-export tag' meeting all the requirements of paragraph c) above, except that the country of origin and year of harvest will not be required; and further, that the same information as is on both the original tag and the replacement tag should be given on the re-export certificate, together with details of the original permit under which the skin was imported;

f) Parties accept CITES documents for trade in leopard skins only if they contain the information referred to in paragraph c) or e), as appropriate, and if the skins are tagged in accordance with the provisions of the present Resolution;

g) Parties, with the advice of the Secretariat if appropriate, implement a management and tracking system for tags used in trade; and

h) Management Authorities ensure that tags not affixed to skins in the year specified on the tag are destroyed;

i) in the case of whole or nearly whole leopard skins traded according to the terms of this Resolution, the words “has been granted” in paragraph 2 (d) of Article III be deemed to have been satisfied upon the written assurance of the Management Authority of the State of import that an import permit will be granted; and

j) the system adopted in this Resolution be continued, with any increase in a quota or any new quota (i.e. for a State not previously having one) requiring the consent of the Conference of the Parties, in accordance with Resolution Conf. 9.21 (Rev. CoP13), adopted by the Conference of the Parties at its ninth meeting and amended at the its 13thmeeting (Bangkok, 2004);

DIRECTS the Secretariat to report deficiencies of the system or specific instances of concern to the Standing Committee and the relevant Parties, as appropriate; and

REPEALS Resolution Conf. 8.10 (Rev.) (Kyoto, 1992, as amended at Fort Lauderdale, 1994) – Quotas for Leopard Hunting Trophies and Skins for Personal Use.

Attachments

• E-Res-10-14R16.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 125
Well I never would have guessed that Ethiopia would be tied for the most permits. Interesting. ...

So why would only half of the quota be issued? Is this just a function of what SA wants to take off? I will admit I find this a little confusing....

Well I never would have guessed that Ethiopia would be tied for the most permits. Interesting. ...

So why would only half of the quota be issued? Is this just a function of what SA wants to take off? I will admit I find this a little confusing....
I will be hunting leopard in Ethiopia later this year . . . once that Mountain Nyala is down! That is one quota I certainly hope will be used!

I will be hunting leopard in Ethiopia later this year . . . once that Mountain Nyala is down! That is one quota I certainly hope will be used!

I trust that you'll make sure you've taken care of any Ostrich issues as well before moving on to leopard? :cautious:

@AfricaHunting.com with your post above with quota numbers I think the number of Google searches for Leopard Hunts Ethiopia just shot up. I never would have guessed they had such a high quota.

I never understood why South Africa if given 125 permits would do the asinine system they have of only issuing half, lets see a leopard hunt in South Africa on a good price is 25k x 60 = 1.5 million extra dollars. Not to mention all of the other game that would get shot and the money that would bring in, dip/pack, taxidermy, all of the other services. Crazy to think about it.

I trust that you'll make sure you've taken care of any Ostrich issues as well before moving on to leopard? :cautious:
If word gets out amongst the ostrich community - perhaps via the jungle telegraph? - the I'm coming, I expect it won't be long before I get ambushed or have a spectacular stalk busted. Which will require immediate and severe retaliatory measures.

What language do you think they understand in Ethiopia? I have to get on this . . .

What language do you think they understand in Ethiopia? I have to get on this . .

Ostrich are cruel and evil birds as you well know. They only understand the language of lead! :W Ar15::W Pistols::W Revolvers::W Packin:

Jerome, interesting indeed. But why is Kenya and Malawi mention on that list at all ? It's a long time ago any cats was legally exported from those countrys... :confused:....

@billc , I agree there are plenty leopard in SA. I am sure PHASA will take the situation seriously and it will be resolved by 2017.

Simon I hope your right, but I want a Leopard before the USFW decides to shut down hunting them like lions.

Yeah, it does look odd that Malawi, Kenya, Ethiopia all have good quotas, but then SA gets shut off for inadequate record keeping!

The way I see it, SA will be hosting the CITES convention this year. We would want to make sure that everything is in order, especially in light of the probability of submitting a pro-trade proposal for rhino horn... a proposal that I fear stands little chance when it comes down to every other country that doesn't have rhino being allowed to vote on it.

This is something all of us must keep our eyes on. Sustainable use is the only (and in my view way better) alternative to the protectionist view. The bunny huggers hold immense sway at these meetings, and are significant economic sectors in their home countries, so I really despair at the future of rational wildlife management....

Yeah, it does look odd that Malawi, Kenya, Ethiopia all have good quotas, but then SA gets shut off for inadequate record keeping!

Don't forget though - SA shut themselves off. It wasn't USFWS saying they knew better than the host country did this time.

Anyone have any information about the prospects for leopard in RSA for 2017 and beyond?

I certainly hope USFW continues to allow the importation of leopard. I'm hoping to give it one more try next year providing my guy gets a tag. He's had this cat on bait since May!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a very nice cat Johnny!

Can you believe how long he's had him on bait! I'm keeping on eye out on the import situation. If he gets a tag next February and we can import I'm going back

Can you believe how long he's had him on bait! I'm keeping on eye out on the import situation. If he gets a tag next February and we can import I'm going back

Go back as quickly as possible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross