tap

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Heres my question. I am returning in may to hunt another leopard in the zim low veld with dogs. I asked my PH if I can get a copy of the leopard permit I purchased and he said it would be no problem.

However; my import agent says you can't get an import permit for leopards before you kill your leopard. Since then Ive talked to several of the ph's in dallas at dsc and several hunters who have applied for and received their leopard cites import permit before they even went hunting. I have to believe the hunters that have actually done this and I am wondering where you would go to apply for such a permit before you go hunting and how difficult is it to apply for and receive this import permit on your own?

I guess what Im asking is if someone can take me by the hand and show me what needs done via web links etc.

Thanks

Tap,

The order in which this should happen is actually tnat you should apply for the import permit before the hunt, The country where you hunt the leopard will only give an export permit with proof of an import permit. Attached a link to the application form . You have to list all details like properties and taxidermist that would be used even if it is dip and pack.

Good luck !!!! Leopard are the best hunt you will ever have !

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-19.pdf

Hey Tap,
Don't forget....The leopard skin must be recieved by Customs in the US, in the same year the CITES permit was issued. If it shows up after Jan. 1, 2014 chances are it will be confiscated.

That would make it kind of tough to hunt later in the year wouldn't it? Like say August and get it mounted over there?

I imported my leopard in 2012 that was shot in 2011 in Zimbabwe.

This was immediately after the USFW crackdown on paperwork where many leopards were confiscated. Mine came in with no issues.

You can apply for the import permit after the hunt with no issues. To me it is better, if you are not successful there is no need for one, you can put the exact date and location of the kill also.

Use a good broker in the US that imports CITES animals. Well Worldwide Energy Logistics is very good. They are in Houston. Cindi Roulon ((281) 606-2400) is the contact I used.

Make certain your importer is talking to your exporter in terms of paperwork. Make certain the skull and hide are accounted for properly on the paperwork. One of the issues as I understand is inconsistenies in the US. Chicago may kick something back that Houston will not or vice versa. This underscores the need for a local broker who understands the situation in that port.

From the export side the problems in late 2011 and early 2012 were the exporters were not properly documenting the number of leopards on the country quota. The USFW wanted to see "leopard 56 of 500" That simple clerical ommision cost untold thousands of dollars in return shipping.

What I am not sure of is if you shoot a leopard in November of 2013 and it ships in March of 2014 does it count against the 2013 or 2014 Zim quota?

TAP,

What concession are you hunting in Zim this time, and who will be your PH?

Thanks guys I appreciate all the responses. I'm headed to Reno and I will talk with animal Rtistry as I've been told they may handle it all. I still have last years leopards in zim and I don't want that to happen again. I don't know what farm I will be hunting but the ph is George Parkin. I should have a copy of the cites permit before too long and that should get things rolling as far as filling out the import permit. Again, thanks guys.

I applied for Leopard CITES permit in late January for an April hunt in Zimbabwe and got it back in two-weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross