Legal guns for hunting use in Africa

Amon458

AH veteran
Reaction score
This is kind of broad but Ive read alot of no millitary like firearms or cartridges. So does this mean I cant use a 30-06 since it use to be a millitary round and the 308 even if its in a bolt gun. Also is it legal to hunt with auto pistols as I may have misunderstood the way alot of the laws are worded.

Thank you for your replies.
Amon458

I think they mean to say that no semi or automatic rifles and hand guns are allowed for hunting.

There is no problem with Bolt actions and 30-06 and 308 are some of the most popular rifles used here for the hunting of PG.

There are some Hand guns which are allowed for hunting.

Amon458 follow the threads Jerome posted but n short you can hunt whatever round but it must be in a double rifle or bolt action. You can hunt with special permit with pistol but it must be revolver as I understand. The 30-06 has taken down many plains game animals as has the 308. In fact my PH has a 308 that he takes.

And to clarify, each country within Africa has its owns laws regarding what can be used. There is no single standard. So a caliber that IA completely legal in one country may not be legal in another. And as Arc pointed out, a rifle that is legal for PG may not be legal for DG.

So to get a really good answer to your question you'll need to let folks know where you will be hunting and what you're going to hunt.

In addition to doubles and bolt guns, lever actions and certainly single shots are legal. I believe a pump action is technically legal as well but I was told that if you get the wrong guy at SAPS or anywhere they inspect your guns, they might think it is an auto loader and give you grief. But guys have taken them and not had problems.

And there are cases where guys have gotten auto loader shotguns in.

So I just looked at the SAPS website and it only says that semiauto/auto rifles and hand carbines are restricted. So unless I am not understanding the term of hand carbine semiauto pistols should be legal?

I don't think I'd risk trying to get through SAPS with my 1911. The big picture here is RSA does not want firearms that would be more conducive to war and/or committing crimes to enter the country. Can a semi-auto pistol be used for hunting and a revolver to shoot someone? Certainly, but we're talking about a gov't agency here.

No semiauto rifle rifle or handgun can be brought into South Africa for hunting. I believe a semiauto shotgun might get in but if I wanted to try it, I would definitely get a preapproved firearm permit.

As far as military cartridges go, I don't think it's a problem in South Africa but there are some countries you might travel through where it could be a problem; specifically Great Britain and maybe France. The best way to avoid a misunderstanding is to use a travel agent that is familiar with travel with firearms. It would also be well to list a cartridge by its commercial name, i.e., 308 Winchester rather than the military name, 7.62 NATO.

As far as military cartridges go, I don't think it's a problem in South Africa but there are some countries you might travel through where it could be a problem; specifically Great Britain and maybe France. . It would also be well to list a cartridge by its commercial name, i.e., 308 Winchester rather than the military name, 7.62 NATO.

no problem with military calibres in great britain . lots of .308 and 30-06 used for deer stalking and .223 for foxes etc. in france there can be a problem and i believe some of the semi auto rifles ie mini 14 were chambered for the .222 so they could be sold there and in similar places .

as you can buy semi auto handguns and rifles in SA i wonder why they dont at least allow the semi auto hunting rifles in .....

http://www.guntree.co.za/items/362-rifles-semi-automatic/ZA/0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,