Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
OK so I have always started out by flying through the US directly from Edmonton and as such I go through US customs pre-screening in Edmonton and off I go. This fall I am flying to Kyrgyzstan from Edmonton via Toronto. I am trying to figure out how much time I need on the ground in Toronto customs wise.

Does anyone know if I can check my guns straight through or do I need to clear my guns through Canadian customs in Toronto? I have talked to 2 people in Customs and EXCOL and they gave me different answers. Both said no need to pass customs but one indicated that I need my export permit taped to the outside of the gun case so that customs can clear it themselves??? Has anyone ever heard of this? I think this guy really has no clue but want to be sure before booking flights.

The easy way would be to book a flight through Chicago but unfortunately that would cost an extra $700 so it is out of the question.

Since my usual source of this kind of info is happily enjoying the dark continent right now I am stumped.

Diamondhitch, I can't help you but you are correct. Wayne knows everything. I know you don't want to bother him but if you pm him and he doesn't have time he can always ignore it.

Kyrgyzstan caught my attention. Are you going for MP and Mid Asian? I would love to hear about your trip when you get back. Best of luck.

Derek, by obtaining your Excol permit you are allowed to leave the country with the listed firearms.
Show them to the folks at the airline if they require them.
You do not clear customs to leave a country. Certainly not your own.
Check them all the way through and make sure you have your excol permit with you.

Sitting in the Kalahari waiting for the sun to rise to get after an Eland. :)

Get your permit and check them to your final destination. The customs you cleared in Edmonton was US customs not Canadian. You will clear customs at you final destination.

Thanks guys.

Eland are one of my favorites. Good luck Wayne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg