Laws & Regulations for Hunters Traveling with Firearms and Ammunition or Bows and Arrows

Thanks Brickburn. There would be no intermediary countries in this case, just the US and SA. I've been trying to find someone that knows something at the US Dept, but didn't know if anyone on here knew the SA side of things.

Thanks again!

Thanks Brickburn. There would be no intermediary countries in this case, just the US and SA. I've been trying to find someone that knows something at the US Dept, but didn't know if anyone on here knew the SA side of things.

Thanks again!

Someone who has been through it.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/how-to-bring-a-suppressor-to-south-africa.15732/

USE OF SILENCERS

June 2014, PHASA enquired from provinces regarding the legal use of silencers for hunting. Summary below:

GAUTENG:
Gauteng Ordinance 12 of 1983 does not prohibit the use of a silencer for hunting. It is therefore not illegal.

KZN:
Legislation does not refer to silencers or sound suppressors. They are therefore not prohibited methods.

Northern Cape:
In the NCNCA 9/2009 a silencer is listed as a prohibited Hunting Method or Instrument BUT with the standard provision that it can be used if permitted by the landowner. IN SHORT - it will be illegal to use on a public road but legal to use during a legal hunt the moment the landowners signs the written permission document

Free State:
There is no legislation in place regarding the use of silencers in the Free State. In short, it is not prohibited to make use of a silencer during a hunt.

Mpumalanga:
Current conservation legislation in Mpumalanga does not allow for the use of a suppressor/silencer without a permit, however we believe it is outdated and we will amend our Act and Regulations accordingly when the opportunity presents itself.

Mpumalanga Nature Conservation Act, Act 10 of 1998. Art. 11(f)

Eastern Cape:
Not illegal to use a silencer on a rifle.

Limpopo:
LEMA do not prohibit the use of a silencer on a gun when hunting. Please read Art 38 in LEMA to get clarity.

PERFECT!!! THANKS!

This will be of interest to persons holding Nexus cards issued by Canada.

The Canada Border Services Agency announced that they are engaging in public consultation with respect to proposed changes to the Nexus eligibility criteria. In particular, they have said:

• In addition, convictions in relation to the following border enforcement priorities could result in a lifetime ban:
    • the importation, exportation or trafficking of alcohol and tobacco, currency, firearms and weapons; or
    • the exportation of items on the Export Control List.
I think the first clause is an easy one - you have always had to declare your firearms upon arrival in Canada. The more interesting is the second clause. I assume most, if not all, Canadians who have left Canada with firearms know that no one ever seems to check whether you have export permits for your rifles, scopes and ammo. Some have told me they have been tempted to forgo the export permit. I would suggest that this was always a bad idea, and if you hold a Nexus card, or ever hope to, it will be an even worse idea if and when these new provisions are enacted (as I have little doubt they will).

I am the guy who won the hunting trip to Romania last fall and am getting ready to get tickets to get there. So... has anybody used Iberian Airlines? I am traveling to Romania on American Airlines from USA. It transfers over to Iberian Airlines in Madrid, Spain. I was told to avoid going through Heathrow because it is very difficult with a firearm, even just passing through. Anybody have any advice?

My wife and I are excited to go later this summer. Will be sure to post some great shots when I come back.

You have been misinformed about Heathrow. There are zero issues going through Heathrow with firearms. Plenty of hunters do it every year.

That is good to know because I cannot get a return flight from Romania unless I go through Heathrow. Do you know if we have to get gun out of checked baggage and declare it or go through some UK procedures in Heathrow before continuing on or is it usually good until the destination? I only have a two hour layover there before heading in to DFW/USA.

That is good to know because I cannot get a return flight from Romania unless I go through Heathrow. Do you know if we have to get gun out of checked baggage and declare it or go through some UK procedures in Heathrow before continuing on or is it usually good until the destination? I only have a two hour layover there before heading in to DFW/USA.
Iberia is a Oneworld partner with AA so that should help. Do not take a different route on the way home. AA does not transfer guns to some airlines so you must use a travel agent on this itinerary.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Philip

Have any of you experienced Africa hunters heard about a new "rule" imposed by SAPS, that prohibits 2 hunters to share a gun case ?
I have been to the Eastern cape several times with friends and family and on every occasion some of us have shared gun cases. I have a large and heavy Pelican gun case that easily hold 2 rifles or a rifle and a handgun, this way we have saved weight and things to carry. Recently i contacted one of the companies that offer assistance for pre-approved permits with SAPS. I informed them that we were 3 hunters with 2 gun cases. I wad then informed that it was illegal to carry 2 firearms in one case if they did not belong to the same person. That was new to me, so i was wondering if this is really true. If it is really so , where does it say so? have SAPS put out any information ? I can imagine that quite a few husband/wife, father/son have shared a gun case and will also try to do so in the future. So the question is, if this rumour is true, what will happen to all those who shows up it the SAPS office with 2 persons firearms in one case ?

Karsten

This will be of interest to persons holding Nexus cards issued by Canada.

The Canada Border Services Agency announced that they are engaging in public consultation with respect to proposed changes to the Nexus eligibility criteria. In particular, they have said:

• In addition, convictions in relation to the following border enforcement priorities could result in a lifetime ban:
    • the importation, exportation or trafficking of alcohol and tobacco, currency, firearms and weapons; or
    • the exportation of items on the Export Control List.
I think the first clause is an easy one - you have always had to declare your firearms upon arrival in Canada. The more interesting is the second clause. I assume most, if not all, Canadians who have left Canada with firearms know that no one ever seems to check whether you have export permits for your rifles, scopes and ammo. Some have told me they have been tempted to forgo the export permit. I would suggest that this was always a bad idea, and if you hold a Nexus card, or ever hope to, it will be an even worse idea if and when these new provisions are enacted (as I have little doubt they will).
You are right about the Cdn Export permits. I have hunted Africa since 1997 and only had the Cdn papers for the last 2 hunts in the last two years. Have never been questioned but I will always have the papers with me now.

Have any of you experienced Africa hunters heard about a new "rule" imposed by SAPS, that prohibits 2 hunters to share a gun case ?
I have been to the Eastern cape several times with friends and family and on every occasion some of us have shared gun cases. I have a large and heavy Pelican gun case that easily hold 2 rifles or a rifle and a handgun, this way we have saved weight and things to carry. Recently i contacted one of the companies that offer assistance for pre-approved permits with SAPS. I informed them that we were 3 hunters with 2 gun cases. I wad then informed that it was illegal to carry 2 firearms in one case if they did not belong to the same person. That was new to me, so i was wondering if this is really true. If it is really so , where does it say so? have SAPS put out any information ? I can imagine that quite a few husband/wife, father/son have shared a gun case and will also try to do so in the future. So the question is, if this rumour is true, what will happen to all those who shows up it the SAPS office with 2 persons firearms in one case ?

Karsten

Our PH advised us to put our guns in separate cases last August as they check you in separately. We did and things worked out OK for us, but we also used Mr. X with Aflon Lodge to help with the process at Johannesburg Airport. He was worth every penny.

Iberia is a Oneworld partner with AA so that should help. Do not take a different route on the way home. AA does not transfer guns to some airlines so you must use a travel agent on this itinerary.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Philip
Unfortunately, Iberian does not have a return flight that day so I am forced to go through British Air on way back (or end up returning home 2 days later). I called BA and informed them that I would be carrying a hunting rifle on way back and there is a process that you have to go through to notify them in advance.

One other thing I was told by BA staff- They charge over $120 each for handling of
BOTH
weapon and ammo box with remaining ammo, so I'll be shooting all my ammo or giving left-overs to George at the Romanian lodge before I leave.

I am moving to S. Africa on a business visa with my family. My wife and kids will be on a secondary long term visitors visa. We would like to take a hunting rifle and/or compound bow to the farm where we will be living for the next few years. We plan to fly Qatar Airways. I cannot find out information on Qatar website or their customer service if this is allowed. Anyone have info on this airlines? If it is okay, how soon do I need to prepare these items for travel prior to arriving at airport? Thanks

From what I remember, the RSA Police required a letter of invitation to hunt from a SA-licensed professional hunting company, a form 4457 from US Customs, and a Firearms Importation Form from RSA Police in order to bring a hunting rifle there. Rifle types are very limited as well, with certain actions (semi-autos, pump-action shotguns, pistols, etc.) restricted from importation. There is a guy called Mr. X (no kidding, his name is hard to pronounce in the native !Chosin language so he goes by Mr. X) who works with Afton Lodge at Johannesburg Airport. He is the best and worth both his fees and tips to make the process go smoothly- coming and going. The lodge is great for a first night's stay in South Africa too. The information for contacting them is www.aftonsafarilodge.com,
17 Aftonwold Way Kempton Park 1619, Phone Number is
+27 11 391 7625. Hope this helps. Our biggest headache was coming back into the US in Atlanta. Avoid that mess at all costs if you can. Also, if going between Joburg and anywhere ense in South Africa, you will not be able to use British Airways in the country, because they do not transport ANY firearms there. South African Air is good though. I do not know about other airlines.

From what I remember, the RSA Police required a letter of invitation to hunt from a SA-licensed professional hunting company, a form 4457 from US Customs, and a Firearms Importation Form from RSA Police in order to bring a hunting rifle there. Rifle types are very limited as well, with certain actions (semi-autos, pump-action shotguns, pistols, etc.) restricted from importation. There is a guy called Mr. X (no kidding, his name is hard to pronounce in the native !Chosin language so he goes by Mr. X) who works with Afton Lodge at Johannesburg Airport. He is the best and worth both his fees and tips to make the process go smoothly- coming and going. The lodge is great for a first night's stay in South Africa too. The information for contacting them is www.aftonsafarilodge.com,
17 Aftonwold Way Kempton Park 1619, Phone Number is
+27 11 391 7625. Hope this helps. Our biggest headache was coming back into the US in Atlanta. Avoid that mess at all costs if you can. Also, if going between Joburg and anywhere ense in South Africa, you will not be able to use British Airways in the country, because they do not transport ANY firearms there. South African Air is good though. I do not know about other airlines.
Thank you John! I appreciate the information and will give them a ring when I find out if a lever action is permitted in the country! If it is, I'll try and get a bolt gun after I spend some time getting to know a few things while there. Take care.

I took a Marlin .444 lever action and they allowed it there, along with my bolt action Model 70 .308. I'm glad I took the Marlin, as I took my blue wildebeest and my kudu with it. My .308 had a heck of a time taking down my fairly large gemsbok (although my shot placement had as much to do with it as the caliber). If you are not the world's greatest at shot placement (like yours truly), I recommend a .30-06 or .300 win mag at a minimum for anything larger than a mule deer. Everyone in our party except me had one or the other caliber and one in our party had a .338 Weatherby Mag cannon.

I'm sure whatever you take, you'll have a fun time. We all did. Anywhere the ostriches and zebras are as common as the jackrabbits are in NM or Texas, which was the case everywhere we went in the Eastern Cape, you know you are in a great hunting area. If you will be in the Eastern Cape area, I have the names and contacts of a couple of great P.H.'s north of Port Elizabeth that were fantastic for all of us- young and old- hunters, if interested.

Thank you John. We are moving to the Limpopo Province. It is good to know a lever action was allowed. I intend to get a 30-06 in the near future (cheaper ammo!!).

Not to burst your bubble James but going there on a hunting trip compared to living there on a work visa is a whole different deal. I would expect gun ownership requirements to be different too. Contact Rifle Permits or the RSA police before you show up to make sure all is OK.
Thank you John. We are moving to the Limpopo Province. It is good to know a lever action was allowed. I intend to get a 30-06 in the near future (cheaper ammo!!).

Not to burst your bubble James but going there on a hunting trip compared to living there on a work visa is a whole different deal. I would expect gun ownership requirements to be different too. Contact Rifle Permits or the RSA police before you show up to make sure all is OK.
Thank you Ryan. I have contacted riflepermits.com again to see Henry's opinion. I am going to take my archery setup just in case. I don't think permit is needed for this, but just a checked baggage item as far as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.