Laws on taking brass to RSA

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Wheels, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Wheels

Wheels GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania
    A friend is wondering if I can bring him some brass on my next trip to RSA. I have no problem doing it as long as I am not breaking any laws. He has tried to buy some in the USA and have it shipped to the RSA but the manufacturer won't do it. Do any of you know if there are any rules/laws regarding this whether it be USA or RSA? Is there any special paperwork that would have to be done? Have any of you ever done this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Hi wheels I would have put this thread in another area but to answer your question I know of no laws that you would be breaking you may have to explain to customs why your packing a gift. But to save a lot of headache if your friend is willing to pay for shipping buy it and ship it to him as a gift the main reason most retailers will not ship out of country is the cost for RSA you can figure 5lbs = $50.00 there or about's makeing it some high dollar brass.

3. Stocky

Stocky AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Benefactor NRA, SCI, SCI South Florida, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa
    Actually, the reason most retailers will not export are due to The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) regulations. A commercial entity needs an export license to ship any gun stuff to RSA, and the receiver must be approved before the shipment. Being in the gun stock business, I can tell you customers' shipments do get confiscated, but generally its not a foreign tourist shipping his stock back home that loses their shipment, its usually someone shipping a large load of goodies, or when they put "auto parts" on the customs form when its really a trigger assembly or some such. Best to follow the rules these days.

The federal laws are very detailed and specific:
    US State Department - Policy - Directorate of Defense Trade Controls

That been said, i know Safari & Outdoors in the Lynnwood Bridge Shopping Centre, Pretoria can make arrangements to get U.S. made supplies into RSA because they carry our stocks. They have a stateside rep with the required permits to ship US goods to for forwarding, however I do not know their policies as far as customers' own goods are concerned.

4. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Now that makes more sence to me. when ever I ask all they would say is cost. I have shipped brass through the mail and as Stocky said you must be specific for example this year I Mailed some .375 TSX to RSA I filled out the customs form and paid the postage. The next day I had a message on my phone to come pick up my package it couldn't be mailed. So I went to the post office to see what the problem was. the blonde and not to make blondes sound bad she was a bleached blonde told me that nothing explosive could be sent through the mail, I told her they were bullets not ammo that there was nothing explosive about them and she got mad and said YOU CAN NOT MAIL ANYTHING EXPLOSIVE THROUGH THE MAIL! So I took my package to the next post office 3 miles away and filled out the forms again but this time instead of saying bullets I put copper reloading components which is what they are. no problem 48.00 and a few weeks later there in RSA on the customs form I always mark it as (gift) that way they shouldn't have to pay to pick them up because its not coming frome a retailer..

5. Wheels

Wheels GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania
    Guys,
    Thanks for the information. This helps.