Language concerns putting you off hunting Africa?

This hasn't been an issue for me. Pretty much every PH speaks english and didn't have any communication issues, besides some accents and only talked in other languages if the person they were speaking to didn't understand english well. I would consider it a bit rude to speak in a language I do not understand unless it is necessary.

No problem on my Safari,,If my PH sopke in Afrkaans or the native tongue he would explain what was going on in English to me,,even his Tracker spoke excellent English,,

None of that stuff ever bothered me. It like my dad always said. There is a lot of stuff in this world worth seeing but very little worth hearing

Well said!

:A Band:

None of that stuff ever bothered me. It like my dad always said. There is a lot of stuff in this world worth seeing but very little worth hearing

I have to disagree on that. To me an important part of the experience in hunting is communicating with people of another culture.

I have learned a lot about hunting, animals and life in SA from the people I hunted and stayed with. And I believe they appreciate my interest, as they have been very open answering my questions and sharing their experience.

Not very professional if your PH speaks only English when speaking to you. Have seen this a few times and I always bring it under the PH's attention.

I give free swear word lessons in Afrikaans, just stand around and wait for me to hit my hand while working with a hammer, be warned I rattle them off at 10 swear words per second:D:D:D

Anybody need a Swedish speaking PH???;)

Allways there will be a gap communication beetwen different languages......in my camp for doves hunting in Cordoba I have for 4 hunters 7/8 people working, Bird boys, cooker, helper, dove scout and more and nobody speaks English at all......soo I have to speak in Spanish with them about arragements for shooting blinds, places, positions, times and more......just I tell the hunters, sorry, I gonna speak Spanish with the boys for some arragements and after that I do translations for the hunters.....you can find a lot of people able to speak english in Buenos Aires but not within the Country.

l take it with a grain of salt ,its difficult when stalking and the tracker is talking away as if you aren't there , but from both my experinces the ph will translate .
while at camp and in the ute I try to learn some of the lingo , with the assistance of the tracker , its usually starts a bonding thing , and the boys seem to really like it , that im making the effort.
also in my experience , you can tell when some one is talking about through their body language , and the look in their eyes .no matter what language is being used
like you nyati l like to learn the animals name , l usually forget pretty quick ,tho .
if l had the time and patience ,id love to learn affrikans , followed by Xhosa ,which is the hardest that ive tried .

Not very professional if your PH speaks only English when speaking to you. Have seen this a few times and I always bring it under the PH's attention.QUOTE]

:E Confused::E Head Scratch: now most clients 1st language is english, and if your ph`s arent very professional when only speaking english to them, after you have :E Nono: them what language do they launch into? :A Stirring: :E Big Grin:

@spike.t many Ph's have Afrikaans as their first language, what I ment is there is nothing more anoying when they speak Afrikaans to each other around the campfire, thus excluding clients that do not speak Afrikaans, only when they speak to the client do they speak English.
Most of my clients are European, Dutch, Danish,French,German and Swedish, I can speak Swedish with the Swedes and the Danish, with the Dutch I speak Afrikaans and with the Germans a little Afrikaans goes a long way. I have hunted with clients that do not speak a word of English, but we get along with a mixture of words and signals pretty well(y).

@spike.t many Ph's have Afrikaans as their first language, what I ment is there is nothing more anoying when they speak Afrikaans to each other around the campfire, thus excluding clients that do not speak Afrikaans, only when they speak to the client do they speak English.
Most of my clients are European, Dutch, Danish,French,German and Swedish, I can speak Swedish with the Swedes and the Danish, with the Dutch I speak Afrikaans and with the Germans a little Afrikaans goes a long way. I have hunted with clients that do not speak a word of English, but we get along with a mixture of words and signals pretty well(y).

knew what you meant i was :A Stirring: you should have said "its not professional if your ph speaks english only when speaking to you" the only was before instead of after english ;) as i said :A Stirring: :D Beers:

Talking about money or about the clients "behind their backs" would be considered unprofessional and shouldn't be considered the norm. Your concerns should definitely be raised with your Outfitter if you are unhappy.

I doubt that happens very often.. You can never be sure who understands and who does not. The staff would be taking a big risk .. I work globally and only SPEAK english fluently but I read and understand enough German, Spanish, French and Dutch to know what is going on. And - Afrikaans... BTW - I rarely mention to the locals that I understand.. We were driving back to camp one day and my PH was on the phone to the camp - he was telling them (in Afrikaans) to make sure the cooler was well stocked with Castle because this client (me) likes his Castles really cold. When he hung up I said - "Thanks man, Castle always tastes better ice cold" He looked at me and said "I didn't know you spoke Afrikaans" .. I said " I never said I spoke Afrikaans.."

It's is natural to roll into one's native language when speaking to your country mates.. The key is: Do you think in your native language and then translate or do you think in the language you want to speak at that moment...

Language never bothered me....hunted wit afrikaner farmers, dont mind if the speak a little afrikaans between themselves...Took this photo last time in Namibia...cool message…;)

IMG_8762.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Guten Tag,

Ist die Sprachbarriere setzen Sie off einer afrikanischen Safari ?

Arc Africa Hunting Safaris Europäischen Freund und Agenten spricht sowohl Spanisch und Deutsch. Er wird bei mir in den Monaten Juni bis August sein , die Unterstützung bei ausländischen Kunden für Ihren Komfort und Sicherheit .

Dieser Service wird ohne zusätzliche Kosten für den Kunden zur Verfügung stehen.

Bitte zögern Sie nicht , mich für weitere Informationen zu kontaktieren.

Grüße

Guten Tag,

hält Sie die Sprachbarriere von einer afrikanischen Safari ab ?
Der europäische Freund und Agent von Arc Africa Hunting Safaris spricht sowohl Spanisch als auch Deutsch. Er wird in den Monaten von Juni bis August bei mir sein , um ausländische
Kunden zu unterstützen. Für diesen Service entstehen dem Kunden keine zusätzlichen Kosten.

I tried to bring it in a correct form .....

Mannlicher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross