Language concerns putting you off hunting Africa?

JustinC

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA, DSC, SCI
Good day,

Is the language barrier putting you off an African Safari?

Arc Africa Hunting Safaris European friend and Agent speaks both Spanish and German. He will be with me during the months of June-August, assisting with foreign clients for your comfort and assurance.

This service will be available at no extra cost to the client.

Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Regards

Guten Tag,

Ist die Sprachbarriere setzen Sie off einer afrikanischen Safari ?

Arc Africa Hunting Safaris Europäischen Freund und Agenten spricht sowohl Spanisch und Deutsch. Er wird bei mir in den Monaten Juni bis August sein , die Unterstützung bei ausländischen Kunden für Ihren Komfort und Sicherheit .

Dieser Service wird ohne zusätzliche Kosten für den Kunden zur Verfügung stehen.

Bitte zögern Sie nicht , mich für weitere Informationen zu kontaktieren.

Grüße

Buen día ,

¿Es la barrera del idioma que posponiendo un safari africano ?

Arco África Hunting Safaris amigo europeo y el Agente habla español y alemán. Él estará conmigo durante los meses de junio a agosto , ayudando con clientes extranjeros para su comodidad y seguridad.

Este servicio estará disponible sin costo adicional para el cliente .

Por favor no dude en ponerse en contacto conmigo para obtener más información.

saludos

I'm sure it is a barrier, I know it takes way from the hunt not understanding everything that is said at times.

You can be sure it will be a big help fot many hunters.....one thing less to be worry......!!!!......(y)

I know language has certainly been an issue in some of the stories I have been told by PH's.

Good post to get some people thinking. Communication is always key. I am going to try and learn some basic Africaans (at least some swear words :sneaky:) before I go.

Us Americans got it easy I guess. We just need to speak LOUDER and SLOWER so anyone will understand us! :E Sarcasm:

I am going to try and learn some basic Africaans (at least some swear words :sneaky:) before I go.

I am going to do that too. I even thought about maybe trying to learn some Xhosa but I doubt I can do that clicking thing right! I've always tried to learn some of the language of the country I am visiting but rarely goes well and usually only serves as entertainment for my hosts.

I don't like it when the PH's and outfitters only speak english when talking to me but all the rest of the time their conversation is lost on me. You wonder how much they are takling about their dumb client.

A silent hunt works better. To much talking can scare the game.

I don't like it when the PH's and outfitters only speak english when talking to me but all the rest of the time their conversation is lost on me. You wonder how much they are takling about their dumb client.
I'm sure that isn't the case but things like that are always in the back of ones mind when a foreign language is spoken around somebody who doesn't understand, Human nature I guess.
Good post to get some people thinking. Communication is always key. I am going to try and learn some basic Africaans (at least some swear words :sneaky:) before I go.
Those are always the easiest to learn... Rolls off the tongue easier than any other.

That´s a good idea, Justin (y)

On my side, I try to learn the names of the animals in both afrikaans, and the local language. Last year it was setswana.

I can even pronounce bliksem correctly :LOL:

I think people appreciate that.

I know some of the people there can speak 6+ languages. If I catch someone trying to figure out a language I won't understand and then talk it. I just classify it as unprofessional and unacceptable. I won't bring up, but I do want to know what they are talking about....most of the time it's about $$$$.

A silent hunt works better. To much talking can scare the game.

But then we need universal hand signals and I only know one of those

I know some of the people there can speak 6+ languages. If I catch someone trying to figure out a language I won't understand and then talk it. I just classify it as unprofessional and unacceptable. I won't bring up, but I do want to know what they are talking about....most of the time it's about $$$$.
Talking about money or about the clients "behind their backs" would be considered unprofessional and shouldn't be considered the norm. Your concerns should definitely be raised with your Outfitter if you are unhappy.

Talking about money or about the clients "behind their backs" would be considered unprofessional and shouldn't be considered the norm. Your concerns should definitely be raised with your Outfitter if you are unhappy.
I'm pretty sure if they want to do it front of you, your opinion will matter very little, it does say something about there operation though.
It is certainly not the norm.

It looks like there might be a gap in the market for an Afrikaans translator too.....Give me a call , special price:whistle:

I even thought about maybe trying to learn some Xhosa but I doubt I can do that clicking thing right!

Loodt can help you with that! I can't do it either....

Trying to learn just a few words certainly seemed appreciated.

I don't think it would bother me to not have anyone speak English, AFTER I got there.... Would sure be a pain in planning though.

My PH spoke English and some German. He indicated he could say enough in Spanish to help his guest. The hand signal system works well and We used it some.
I will admit that when I was in the Kalahari everyone else spoke a lot in Africaans and sometime my mind had me thinking they were excluding me but to be fair English was not everyone's first language.....they would catch themselves and translate fir me and of course they understood my response. A good outfitter try's very hard to please everyone in the party. Hennie du Toit at African Sky went out of his way every day to make sure everyone was happy and part of that was to make himself speak English when it would have been much easier to do other wise. If language is a concern one might want to look around fir an outfitter who has people on staff who can speak your language or your second language. Frankly most people I encounter in Europe and Africa speak more than one language and try to help.
I tell you world is getting smaller and very often someone can bridge a language issue. But If someone can afford a Safari they can afford an App for their phone that will translate for them!(y)

None of that stuff ever bothered me. It like my dad always said. There is a lot of stuff in this world worth seeing but very little worth hearing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg