KYRGYZSTAN: Hunt With Arpa Marco Polo LTD

I just read this report. I loved it. Hope I can still hunt anything when I am 67 years but marco polo sheep? good job on hunt and story

GOMER ( Get Out of My Emergency Room) as I remember the term. It's from a classic text about one man's medical internship in Boston, MA, USA. IIRC

What a superior adventure and a very entertaining write-up. Thank you!

Thank you sir for an awesome hunt report... So much so, that you have inspired me to try Login to a forum for about the 4th time in my life. Lol.
I was searching the Web for rifle/caliber/scope/bullet info for Ibex and sheep and came across your story... yes as was said before, (I was 1/3 into this story and though), he must be a great magazine writer, this is awesome.. to read and smell the food, almost touch the characters, feel the cold wind, feel the mountains, share the bumps, understand the camp, and almost caress that perfect soft hip.... to be replaced by a meaty forearm... Laugh... thanks so much,,,
I am going with a friend on such a hunt for Ibex in Kyrgyzstan in October 2016, and the excitement is building every day.. Nice for you to explain the pains on that faithful horse of yours.. was charming.. Hmm first ever horse riding lessons for me very soon (at 53 Lol)...
FWB or others, can you please send us a basic pack list of gear you recommend for such mountain hunt in a far of land.. That would be appreciated. Sounds like 4 or 6 bottles of Vodka is a good start...!!!
I have ordered a Tikka 300WSM super lite, and a Minox 3-15x42SF... (dont have the $$s for a Kimber or Swaro), this rig will later see time on Tahr in NZ, and Sambar in OZ. My mate will bring his Blaser R8 300WM.
I have Taken the lazy option of trying Factory ammo Federal 165 Trophy Bonded Tip.. as I will only use this rig on the mountains.... and have found KENTON custom turrets website, which product sounds good... to simply dial up the range and aim spot on.
We are after Ibex, 2 hunters together, Do you think 6 hunt days on the mountain is ok.?. The contact says there are plenty of Ibex.
Thx G

Having been to Kyrg 2 times I'll answer a couple of questions. First the turrets may NOT work. The higher in elevation, the thinner the air, the flatter the bullet shoots. The turret is set for 1 elevation. So will your ibex be at 9000 ft or 14,000. Doesn't make too much difference at 200 yds. Makes a big difference at 500 yds. Enough to miss.
6 days can be enough. If rifles arrive with you. If no weather getting to camp. If their are lots of ibex. If you aren't overly choosy on your trophy. Your going to travel a long ways to only hunt 6 days. I'd prefer 8 just for the margin of error. I lost a day last trip due to my rifle being left in Turkey.
The 165 will kill just fine. The 180 better and a 200 or so grain might be best of all. Heavy for caliber bullets "buck" the wind better. Less drift with distance.
For clothes be prepared for 70 degrees or 0 degrees with a 20 MPH wind. Here is the thread of my last Kyrg hunt. Has a few suggestions at the end.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/kyrgyztan-marco-polo-blues.15381/
Good luck Bruce

Hey Thanks Bruce,
I read your story too, awesome.. great adventure, thanks so much for the descriptions and pictures.. Ha, thats how hunting goes.. much better than getting one on day 1..!!! (maybe.!!).. I went all the way to NZ and my hunt buddy couldnt handle it (no training) and on day 4 we came back down.. I was pi...ed, so must go back again... addicted to that scenery. I could have shot a medium Tahr first day at 150yds.. and saw 2 different Very Big ones at 740 and 800 yrds later on, but my set up max was 500.. and my spotter back near camp.. Can you please send me your (descriptive) packing list for Kyrg.. my email is buffalo577 at hotmail dot com
So what ranging set up do you recommend..?? I dont have extra $$s, and I have a new SIG rangefinder (awesome) which works out to 2000yds. I was thinking of setting up a calibrated dial for say 13,000 feet. and when I'm there check at say 500yards.. and adjust (rest turret) so that the 500 setting is spot on at 500. Probably call 700yds my max.
If you have some time.. any advice for a (200yd) Aussie who hunts Buffalo flatish ground in NT dry season (hot), and other half of the year Summer back south near Perth.. would be appreciated... I dont do winter at all unless at the US or German hunt shows for a week... LOL... So any warm tips much appreciated. (ie stuff not to get also)
Thanks Graham

Great report! An adventure of a lifetime.

2016 Hunt Season 1212.jpg

Hi Bill and all, just thought I,d try pop in a pic of my Ibex from Kyrgyzstan in Oct 2016... tough hunt, super rewarding, and a dream come true. This is a hunt every international hunter MUST do, Ibex i s not so expensive, lovely people, lovely country, stunning mountains.. Graham

View attachment 172369
Hi Bill and all, just thought I,d try pop in a pic of my Ibex from Kyrgyzstan in Oct 2016... tough hunt, super rewarding, and a dream come true. This is a hunt every international hunter MUST do, Ibex i s not so expensive, lovely people, lovely country, stunning mountains.. Graham
Fantastic! It looks like your efforts to set up your rifle worked! Ummm....Report?:whistle::)

View attachment 172369
Don't know if anyone has asked this, but what's your opinion on hunting there with a bow?

Is this possible in with Ibex in those mountains? I've seen images and video of hunts there, and it appears very steep and everyone is hunting with rifle.

Ibex and Marco Polo are very "turned on". It will be very difficult to get one with a bow. It can be done, just not easy. I would suggest at least 14 hunting days. I know some bow hunters that are comfortable at beyond 50 yds. That would greatly increase your odds of success. Talk with your outfittor and see what he has to say.....

OK Bill. We're ready for another tale. I suspect that you went back. Report? Pics? We want the rest of the story. Bruce

Graham, what a fantastic trophy, congratulations! I hope you have a full report here soon, or a link to your report if it's in another thread. Outstanding photo as well.

That is very heavy ibex, congrats!

Graham.......................thanks for posting. That is the ibex dreams are made of. Well done. Get ready to go back. And yes, Bruce, I have another story or two to tell. Sometime....................kind regards.........................Flatwater Bill

@flatwater bill sounds like you had a good time. I'm after an ibex hunt in Kyryg and by the sounds of it this outfitter runs a tight ship. Did one of the guides have a mouth full of gold teeth by any chance??

N Shooter....................................3 such teeth. The other was without visible teeth. Congrats on the courage to approach the edge of the abyss, as it were. Adventure per dollar spent is close to maximized on an Ibex hunt......................FWB

N Shooter....................................3 such teeth. The other was without visible teeth. Congrats on the courage to approach the edge of the abyss, as it were. Adventure per dollar spent is close to maximized on an Ibex hunt......................FWB

I've been in touch with K about an ibex hunt based on your write up. So far he's been rather good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg