Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
South Africia, Botswana, Alaska, Canada, Most Western US, Kyrgyzstan, Namibia
DSC_0016.JPG

After a disastrous hunt for Ibex in Kyrgyzstan last year in which I had a near death accident where a horse fell on me pinning me under the horse at the edge of an arctic mountain stream in the middle of the night, my rifle shattered, and a case of frostbite and other assorted injuries, and no Ibex to show for the effort, I went back this November to Kyrgyzstan to try again for my Ibex.

My 300 Ultra was rebuilt by MG Arms, a new scope mounted, warmer hunting clothes purchased, and a new outfitter was found. New loads worked up for the Ultra Mag using the Barnes LRX 175 gr long range x bullet, and lots of practice to regain the feel for the almost 85% new parts on the Ultra-light. Another year of climbing the mountains here in Phoenix to prepare for the hunt was part of the physical training.

The flights from Phoenix to Houston to Istanbul Turkey, to Bishkek Kyrgyzstan took 21 hours plus layovers. I and 2 other hunters from the states were met, loaded up and a drive by SUV for over 11 hours found us at base camp for the night. Camp was very comfortable and clean, located at 9200 feet, it had a sauna, and was very well equipped.
DSC_0024 (1).JPG

DSC00911.JPG

Yak jam on the trail. Kyrgyzstan traffic jam
The following morning we went to the location at the trail head to pick up the horses, the other 2 hunters went in different directions, and then myself and two guides went on a full day on horseback to the first spike camp was made at dark. The following morning we broke camp and went another 7- 8 hours by horse back further into the mountains. After some pre scouting by one of my guides, we left the horses and started to climb. After looking over some Ibex, more climbing found us at 12780 feet overlooking a heard of Ibex slightly below and about 200 yards away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sizing it up. Before we left on the hunt while in base camp, I was asked what size Ibex did I expect, I replied that I would be happy with an Ibex that was 1 meter (39 “) or larger. As this was my second trip to travel over 11000 miles to hunt Ibex, and being considerably older than most who attempt such a hunt, I wanted to be realistic in my desires, but honestly I don’t care for records books, and as a hunter I do not carry a tape measure, the experience is the thing with me, and I was having a blast.

A the end of the heard was a group of 5 males all appeared to be good size, my guide asked me if I wanted to shoot, after looking them over and getting his advice as to which one was the biggest I decided to take the largest one, at the shot I lost the view in the scope but heard the bullet hit with the satisfying “swack” sound. As I racked another round in, the guide said kaput! No more shoot! We started down the ridge toward where I thought the Ibex was, my guide pointed down, there in a rock slide about 500 yards further down was the Ibex.
DSC00957.JPG

Here is where it got very difficult, and I made a discovery, the boots I had on were all wrong for this type of descent. As it was cold where we left base camp, I left my mountain boots and wore a warmer pair of Cabela’s Mendle hunting boots. The mountain was very, very steep, and with all the loose rock I could not get any purchase on the rocks and kept slipping and falling. The only way I could precede was by sitting on the loose rock on my butt and try to do a controlled avalanche slide down. As we got close to the Ibex, it would slide another few hundred feet down the mountain. This process continued all the way down the mountain, and I was totally exhausted at the bottom, it was dark, Ibex was skinned and we made camp for the night. A quick measurement by the guide shown my Ibex was 41”, indeed a fine trophy.
kyrg 185.JPG

kyrg 200.JPG

horns.jpg
kyrg me and horns.jpg

Eagle.JPG

kyrg.jpg

The other hunters – during the next few days the other hunters connected with their Ibex, one hunter was unsatisfied with his first Ibex and opted to hunt a second. He succeeded on the last day with a monster 49” Ibex. Final results was mine at 41”, one hunter got one at 46”, the hunter with 2 had one at 35” or so, and the monster 49” one. Needless to say, it was a wonderful experience for all of us.

All of the hunters agreed it was the hunt of a lifetime and the hardest hunt any of us had been on, (2 of the hunters had taken mountain goat and sheep previously) but the most satisfying.

The cape and horns are now with Dennis at Artistry of Wildlife, looking forward to getting the mount home.

Congratulations on a fine trophy. Sounds like a well organised hunt, I've heard some horror stories about hunting there.

Great job, this is one hunt I will do as soon as the kids are out of grade 12. The mountains are not getting smaller. Thank for the report

Congrats, I always wanted to do this hunt.

Changed Outfitters, They only tried to kill you and push you to shoot artillery shots. o_O

Just couldn't stop yourself making it a physical adventure sliding down that damned mountain.

Thanks for sharing the successful tale.

Congrats "Cynepmeh" nice trophy. The first guys were right about that.

Well deserved trophy for sure considering the events endured on your initial attempt.

A hunt i would love to tackle one day.

Congratulations!

Congrats for a great adventure and a fine trophy which you really deserved !

I think I might have said the hell with it after the first trip. Great job on staying with it and an amazing trophy!!

Changed Outfitters, They only tried to kill you and push you to shoot artillery shots. o_O

Just couldn't stop yourself making it a physical adventure sliding down that damned mountain.

Thanks for sharing the successful tale.

Congrats "Cynepmeh" nice trophy. The first guys were right about that.

Thanks,
The slide down the mountain got a little tense at one point, got going too fast, had a hard time getting stopped. :A Outta:

Look familiar? These are the Bunny slopes for beginners.

Congrats!!!!

And especially after the trip last year. I remember that report. ...

I'd like to get in good enough shape to do just one mountain hunt before it is too late.

Great perseverance after your first trip.

Fantastic trophy. Congratulations.

Thanks for the report and photos.

Congrats, Im glad you made #2 attempt count and had a good time doing it! Nice Ibex too.

I am making plans for a similar hunt, which outfitter did you go with the second time?

Great troughy

I am making plans for a similar hunt, which outfitter did you go with the second time?

Great troughy
The hunt was booked through GS Safaris outfitter is Central Asia Safari Club

Congratulations! I'm glad this worked out after all you endured on round #1. I almost went over there with a friend last year, still trying to decide if I'm man enough for a hunt like that someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.