Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
How does the Kynoch .375 H&H ammo with Woodleigh Weldcore bullets perform compared to other factory ammunition? I don't reload, so please only compare to factory over the counter ammo.

Like, twice the price? :D

Or is your question prompted by the current sale at Midway, where you can get them at (almost) the same cost than most other ammo?

Yes Kano. I would never have bought them in the past due to price. But I am considering it now with this sale.

The only Kynoch I've used were, like, 40 years old... They did go Bang! as they were supposed to, though. I'd be surprised if current production was any worse or any better than other factory ammo, and the Woodleigh are good bullets. If I was in the US, I'd get those bargain .375 H&H just for the sake of the red-and-yellow boxes, classy!

Good advice Kano! I will do just that!

I was forced to buy the Kynoch 300g Woodleigh solids for my safari last year. Just could not find any other brand in stock, nor any component bullets for hand loading my own. (Height of the ammo shortage period) They grouped just fine and hit within an inch of my 300 gr Barnes TSX Cape Shock factory loads at 100 yds. Can't tell you about game performance as I only used one TSX to anchor my bull.

Seems like fine ammo to me other than the price. I will use it again with no worries. My PH indicated it was good stuff as well based on his past experience.

Woodleigh bullets are decent but Kynoch does have a reputation of using reduced loads in their cartridges. I imagine they will work fine but don't expect high velocities.

if you get a chance, please run them over a chronograph and let us know what speeds you get.

-matt

Woodleigh bullets are decent but Kynoch does have a reputation of using reduced loads in their cartridges. I imagine they will work fine but don't expect high velocities.

if you get a chance, please run them over a chronograph and let us know what speeds you get.

-matt

Hi Matt. Should be able to chronograph them over the holidays. My son has one and I will compare to a couple of other brands of factory ammo I have.

The Kynoch stuff grouped 1" lower than Federal at 100yds. So there is some possible truth to your comments. I have a chrono and will shoot a couple to see where they are at.

The old mutt's dos centavos on velocity:

No major factory .375 H&H ammunition is going to be loaded so slow as to create any problem bagging the animals the bullet was designed to be used on, these days.
Woodleigh Weldcore is not the world's toughest bullet but, it is far from the softest as well.
Even if Kynoch is not loading the 300 grainer to full pressure, (and I do not know if that is or is not so) I would bet it's leaving a 24" barrel at least 2400 fps and probably faster (Remington, Federal, Winchester have always been around 2550 fps with their various 300 gr bullets).

You can sleep well tonight knowing that a 300 gr bullet, in .37 caliber, leaving the muzzle of your rifle at about 2400 fps is extremely effective for heart/lung shots on game animals, large and small.
And with same, you will be able to keep meat in the shed by aiming straight at the vitals on even smallish ones like deer/impala size game, from 75 yards/meters to 175 yards/meters.
At 250 yds, to about 300, you begin to have to aim a tic high but plenty of proper practice at home makes this into child's play before you've traveled half way around the globe and finally close with your quarry.

The Woodleigh 300 gr softs are however not fool-proof, in that they are lead core and although bonded to their jackets, they are nonetheless prone to fail if driven at some ridiculous velocity, such as cartridges like the .375 Ultra-Mag and such, can easily launch them at.
The original H&H, I will guess is not capable of driving them too fast without flattening your primers and unacceptably stretching your brass.

For a soft to use on buffalo, I would suggest the Swift A-Frame but, for any other species that you would normally use a soft on in .375 H&H, the Kynoch I expect will work as well as any and better than some.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
i have heard of problems using Woodleigh bullets on buffalo. apparently they are fine if you dont hit any heavy bones but they dont hold together well enough for shoulder or hip shots. according to Doctari even the 600gr .505" Woodleigh PP bullet at 2100fps came apart on a buffalo's shoulder. :eek:

+1 on using Swift A-frames for buffalo. ive heard nothing but good things about them.

another bullet ive read alot about is the Barnes TSX. these have a very good reputation in medium/large bore guns on heavy game.

-matt

Kynoch 375 H&H, 300 grain Woodleigh solids, win mod 70, 2490 fps, avg for 3 shots.

Federal Cape Shock, 300 grain Barnes TSX, same mod 70, 2520 fps, avg for 3.

There you go gents. I'd honestly hunt with the TSX 300s. Based on my limited but real world safari experience. Nice to know those Woodleigh solids would have been fine if I'd needed them however.

2490fps is good in my book, my hand loads run just over 2500fps. id also pick the TSX over the Woodleighs but i bet the woodleighs would work fine assuming you dont hit any major bones.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfieWorma

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber