Kudu, Zebra, Oryx - 375 H&H

Rock Rat

Reaction score
Hello, first post. Planning first trip to Namibia for 2018.

Proud new owner of an out of the box CZ 550 375 H&H. Have 25 rounds through barrel run in, need to do some trigger work, but really like it.

My question is would a 250 grain Game King work for Kudu, Mountain Zebra, and Oryx?

In my mind that's a lot of bullet for 500 to 800 pound animals, but reading through threads there's a lot of love for premium bullets.

My question is would a 250 grain Game King work for Kudu, Mountain Zebra, and Oryx?

YES. Plenty.

If a 130 grain .270 Win can do that job then your 375 will do it that much better. :)

Welcome!!

And yes, def enough.

I think most of the love for premium bullets is related to 2 topics:
  1. Dangerous game
  2. Cost of animals
I personally regard premium bullets as cheap insurance for hunting and use them for everything now.

But a 375 is still a 375 and with good shot placement the odds of the GK not working on a kudu are, I would think, indeed very small.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

More than plenty for those animals!

The folks who have answered have way more experience the me, but let me offer my observations: The Zebra particularly struck me as a very robust animal. I hit him in the chest with a 270 gr Woodliegh and the effect was dramatic. The same load went straight through the Kudu and Oryx on broadside shots. So, I presume the 20 gr difference may not matter at all. I am more concerned about bullet construction. When the Zebra and Oryx were skinned out I was impressed how thick the bones and muscles were. I think the premium bullets give you a bit more of a margin for close shots especially. The Kudu, however, was a relatively narrow creature.

Are you set on taking the .375? No matter what gun you take, certainly take premium bullets, its definitely worth it!

I recently borrowed my PH's CZ 550 in 375 on a lion hunt and it worked great.

Its definitely more than enough bullet for plains game.

My family used my 7mm Rem Mag with 160 grain Barnes Vortex ammo and had no issues taking a kudu, waterbuck, sable, wildebeest, impala, zebra, and warthog.

Are you set on taking the .375? No matter what gun you take, certainly take premium bullets, its definitely worth it!

Not really, just grew up dreaming of Africa and reading about the 375 H&H and 458 Win in every issue of Outdoor Life I could scrounge up.

Just seems to me to be the right thing to do.

The middle age practical side of me thinks I should pack my beat up Tikka 7mm Rem Mag stuff it with 175 A-Frames and call it good.

However the dreams of a young boy is powerful stuff.

Not really, just grew up dreaming of Africa and reading about the 375 H&H and 458 Win in every issue of Outdoor Life I could scrounge up.

Just seems to me to be the right thing to do.

The middle age practical side of me thinks I should pack my beat up Tikka 7mm Rem Mag stuff it with 175 A-Frames and call it good.

However the dreams of a young boy is powerful stuff.

You can always bring both! Use the 375 on the bigger game.

Welcome to AH. Take gat rifle and happy shooting!

Proud new owner of an out of the box CZ 550 375 H&H. Have 25 rounds through barrel run in, need to do some trigger work, but really like it.

In my mind that's a lot of bullet for 500 to 800 pound animals, but reading through threads there's a lot of love for premium bullets.

Yes

Welcome!!

And yes, def enough.

I think most of the love for premium bullets is related to 2 topics:
  1. Dangerous game
  2. Cost of animals
I personally regard premium bullets as cheap insurance for hunting and use them for everything now.

But a 375 is still a 375 and with good shot placement the odds of the GK not working on a kudu are, I would think, indeed very small.

And a bigger Yes

10-4 yeah I understand the boyhood dreams! Might as well bring both!

Rock Rat, like you I grew up reading about Africa. On my trip In took a 300 win mag and a cz 550 375 h&h. I used both rifles on my hunt. For the 375 I used 235 Speer bullets running around 2900 fps +/- a few fps. The 235 bullets worked very well and pass through all game shot, Kudu, Zebra... A 375 wasn't necessary but it needed to go to Africa anyway.

Rock Rat,
There isn't much that the 375 isn't good at, even with a game king you'll be fine! I'm a big fan of A-Frames and have shot a fair share of critters with them out of a 375, they work. Your seven would be perfectly adequate as well with the 175's. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how little damage you will do to your capes with the 375 and a premium bullet, especially on the smaller antelope. My experience with the seven has resulted in fist sized exits and a pissed off taxidermist. But when I worshiped at the alter of big greens 7mm I wasn't shooting particularly well built bullets and I would imagine an A-Frame would minimize damage substantially over the stuff I used to throw down range. Regardless, enjoy your trip with whatever you decide to take.
Cheers,
Cody

That is more rifle than you need so it will work. The cheaper bullets will also work.

I have to ask one question:
You are going half way around the word. You are spending a bunch of money for airfare, cost of animals, daily rates and misc. expenses. Then the cost of dip and pack, shipping them home and having them mounted............Now you want to skimp on the one item that more so determines your success of killing the animal?

Using a $.50 bullet instead of a $1 or more bullet does not make sense to me as the bullet is the smallest % or otherwise cost of your hunt.

Heck I prefer to shoot Nosler Partition bullets here at home for many years.
Before going to Africa the first time I spent many hundreds of Swift A-Frame bullets just working up loads for my 338Win mag and my daughters 257Roberts. I did not need to spend the time and money I did but I get anal sometimes about speed/accuracy for my hunting rounds. I enjoy the load testing. I also worked up an excellent Barnes TTSX load for my 30-06 back up rifle.
After seeing the performance of the A-Frames I now shoot them in many of my cartridges for a local deer/hog hunt also. We took all three you listed and many more all one shot, see where they drop kills. Even the 257Roberts! Nothing wrong with Nosler Partitions but again the bullet is the most important determining factor of a successful hunt and the cheapest even at $5+ round so I will use Swift bullets in certain cartridges. The Swift Scirocco has also worked very well on deer/pigs for us as have the Barnes TTSX bullets.

Yes a Rem Core-loc or other cup-n-core bullet will work(most the time) but why stake your hunt on the price difference between that and a much better bullet.

It is your money, your hunt and in the end your gamble.

.Now you want to skimp on the one item that more so determines your success of killing the animal?
Sorry, I guess I hold the plain old Game Kings in higher regard than yourself.

We all have our experiences, I'm just looking for a little advice from folks that have been their and done that.

Rock Rat, like you I grew up reading about Africa. On my trip In took a 300 win mag and a cz 550 375 h&h. I used both rifles on my hunt. For the 375 I used 235 Speer bullets running around 2900 fps +/- a few fps. The 235 bullets worked very well and pass through all game shot, Kudu, Zebra... A 375 wasn't necessary but it needed to go to Africa anyway.

Obviously, the 235 Speer worked for you, what did you run for powder?

Wife and I have each taken those animals with 180grain 30/06 and lost none..

Rock Rat---You are the one who asked.
Now you sound like you have your panties in a bunch over my response.
Yes you do hold game king bullets in higher regard than I do. I have used them. I would use a Hornady bullet before your choice just for the record.
Personally I was going to just use Nosler Partition bullets but with much research chose to go with A-Frames and it worked just great. Would the partitions have worked---Probably but why chance it. Would a cup-n-core bullet have worked--- most likely but not going to chance an expensive hunting trip on the difference in cost of a few bullets. That is just me.

You stated "We all have our experiences, I am just looking for a little advise from folks that have been their(I think you mean THERE) and done that" I have been their(there) and done that. I am also going back in 2017. I have also hunted and loaded ammo here in the USA for 50+ years. YOU are the one who asked for advise and when it does not equal your preconceived ideas give the poster attitude. If you are just looking for someone to rubber stamp your thoughts then you should state that so the rest of us do not waste our time.

I also stated a bullet such as you like would probably work just fine. I might add that with the normal FPS of the 375 the bullet you stated would have less potential problems.

I also said it is your hunt, your money so your gamble. I do hope you kill everything with one shot and no tracking. I also said you are over gunned(not a bad thing) with a 375 for those PG.

You have a nice hunt and I am done wasting my time on this thread since you want to insult/argue and such if the response is not what you wanted to hear..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouveniaBo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!