Website
www.aimstraightoutdoors.com
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., South Africa, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada
Last week I got my Kudu Mount back and I am kind of disappointed in the work. So much so that I am interested in looking for a new cape to have it remounted by my usual taxidermist. Where would be the best place to look for a new cape in good condition and what is a reasonable price for one? Thanks

I am sorry to hear that your kudu taxidermy is not what you wished. I am in the same shape with a red stag from Argentina. It makes you sick to wait so long and then get poor trophies back. I had problems with an eland cape in the past and the Flagg Group from Dallas had a cape that helped me out of a jam. If I remember right the price was more than reasonable. If you can't find one on this side of the pond you might try someone like Rodney at Trans-African taxidermy. The shipping would be expensive but he would probably have one available. I would be careful if I shopped online. Jim

tamuderek, my recommendation would be to try calling or emailing a few taxidermists in the U.S. that specialize in African Game to see if they would have a cape to sell to you. Calling would be more personal, they might be more receptive and willing to part with one of their back up skins, try first taxidermists in your State. As far as the price, hard to say as there is no market for this, I guess it is worth what you are willing to pay for it but it really should not costs too much, in my opinion a few hundred dollars. Hope you find something...

Hey Tamuderek,

That really sucks to hear of your bad experience. At the risk of angering many of our fellow members from the area, this is not the first time hunters here (in the USA) have been terribly disappointed in the lack of quality of their mounts done in the African countries they hunted. I have seen these poor mounts shipped into Taxidermist's studios from Alaska through Texas, and it is really frustrating when I ask them why they decided to leave their trophies where they left them, and I'm told "The price was right."

In the long run, the lower price is then brought up to -- or surpasses -- the prices paid here at home, after the shipping of the trophies was figured in. That, and the deep disappointment in the outcome of the mounts ... low quality ... becomes the lesson learned.

And it's not just from hunters that hunt Africa. I have had clients take advantage of lower prices for mounts such as Elk out in the states they hunted them, only to be soundly disappointed when they finally get their mount shipped home to them, realizing too, that the "lower price" actually ended up higher than the price I quoted them! That, and they had a trophy that was below standards in quality.

To avoid this, you must not only see the work they do, you should be aware of how they do the work. Also get as many references as you can from other hunters on the Taxidermist in question.

Anyway, here are of a couple of leads that may be of help!

RJ Simington
animalartsnw@charter.net
PRO Taxidermy
Klamath Falls, Oregon
541-883-2492

Kudu capes from good Southern Africa bulls taken last July. Bulls were 54 and 56. Capes are not tanned. $250 plus $40 shipping each. Respond directly to kodiak_454@hotmail.com

From jwadventures
I have two Kudu and one Gemsbuck tanned capes for sale. Good condition $350 a piece
e-mail j@jwadventures.com

Try this tannery:
SIVKO FUR INC TANNERY FOR TAXIDERMIST
3089 CR 119 CANISTEO NY 14823
607-698-4827 FAX 607-698-4344
EMAIL ANNATSIVKO@YAHOO.COM

WANT MORE INFO VISIT OUR WEB SITE Sivko Fur Inc.
OR CALL US IF YOU WANT ASK FOR ANN OR BOB

They often times put capes up for sale, and the last time he did have a Kudu cape for sale. Good luck!

Take care,

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I will see what i can come up with and hopefully have better luck this second time around

Hey Tamuderek,

Here's a listing that was just relisted yesterday! Maybe this may help! If you just need the cape, maybe they will sell just the cape!

John.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price Reduced XL Kudu cut for pedistal mount with 47" Horns and cleaned skull $800-$750 shipped

All price are SHIPPED I do take paypal, Credit Cards by ph., or Money order No Trades Please email me at deangregg@msn.com or call shop 765-793-3697

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois