Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Just read over on another forum that Kanana is done with hunting safaris. The info is that Tholo is taking the clients and deposits over for Kanana. Anyone heard about this? Has me wondering as all of the Kanana reports have been so good. Just didn't make sense to me. Bruce

I hunted there for 15 days.
I have a text into Jason to figure this out. Seems a little bizarre to me.

Nothing on Facebook, nothing on their website to support the idea that hunting is done.

The info was over on another forum. Its on a thread started by Kanana for hunt specials for 2015. Someone with a hunt booked said he had a E-mail about it. Seemed a little bizarre to me.... Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason gave me a quote in the last month for 2015. Didn't mention anything. If I remember the conversation correct we would see each other at DSC.

Land has been in the family forever....don't see them selling.

Didn't they go from photo safaris to hunting because there wasn't money in the photo safaris?

Would like to know more but bizarre is the word.

Would definitely consider it a rumor unless something comes from Jason's mouth.

The info was over on another forum. Its on a thread started by Kanana for hunt specials for 2015. Someone with a hunt booked said he had a E-mail about it. Seemed a little bizarre to me.... Bruce

I saw it and asked for confirmation.
At the moment I have some severe doubts about the veracity of the individual posting.

………..
Land has been in the family forever....don't see them selling.

Didn't they go from photo safaris to hunting because there wasn't money in the photo safaris?

The original land owner still had an interest in Kanana last I heard. The owners got together and made a larger operation by adding the southern property.
Jason just acquired hunting rights on huge tracts on neighbouring properties.

Gavin used to run a Photo Safari operation. It was not that successful.
Cattle have always been run in the area. A major producer for sure.

I saw it and asked for confirmation.
At the moment I have some severe doubts about the veracity of the individual posting.

DITTO!

The above is why I was asking for confirmation. It just didn't make sense to me. They have 2015 specials up and some people booked. They seem to have a great operation. Its a place that I have seen nothing but good about. A place I'd like to hunt. Bruce

I'll be very surprised if it's true. Like wheels said the land has been in the family forever. From my talks with Jason while hunting there, the family seems to be very proud of their heritage and history of the land.
Addleman will have the low down. Where are you Tom?

lets see what brickburn turns up...

from the reports it appeared to be a good place to go on safari.

apparently the sign is out:

KANANA FOR SALE

The property is being put up for sale.

Jason is taking care of his booked 2015 Kanana clients by moving their hunt with him to Tholo Safaris while the Kanana property sale is resolved.
(Always creative and good at his job.)

Good luck Jason.

Well in a word crap. Hate to hear that happen. Thanks Brickburn for getting to the bottom of it. Bruce

Well in a word crap. Hate to hear that happen. Thanks Brickburn for getting to the bottom of it. Bruce

I am still certain Jason will be a going concern wherever he lands and will provide the same kind of product.

I guess in the world of Africa Bizarre can happen at any point in time.
I stand corrected. :)

One of the booked clients graciously provided me with a copy of the letter that was sent to them (private and confidential portions removed). I think this about says enough:

"………………………….
We regrettably have to write you to advise you of a recent decision that has been taken by the shareholders of Kanana Safaris.

At a meeting held in Gaborone last week, the 4 shareholders of Kanana have taken the decision to wrap up all activities on Kanana at the end of this season
(Nov 2014).

It wasn’t a decision that was taken lightly, but we were all in agreement that we wish to actively, and aggressively market the property for an outright sale, and with this in mind it would be unfair to our dedicated staff and their teams, as well as our clients, to book and commit to any future hunts, when we know it is our intention to sell the entire operation.
……………………..

Kind Regards

The Directors
Kanana Safaris"

Thanks for the info guys. It comes as a surprise.

It sounds like the families apx. 100 years relationship with the land is ending.

Brickburn,

You mentioned that Jason was acquiring hunting rights on adjacent properties. Do you think he may hunt those properties sometime in the future?

I don't think Tholo is very far away, do you know how far it is?

If it is bought and goes all beef there may be the cull of all culls. Probably best left to the pros.

All the best.

Thanks for the info guys. It comes as a surprise.

It sounds like the families apx. 100 years relationship with the land is ending.

Gavin sold at the start that created Kanana Safaris. From my recollection. At least part of the property.

Brickburn,

You mentioned that Jason was acquiring hunting rights on adjacent properties. Do you think he may hunt those properties sometime in the future?

Jason had said he arranged hunting rights on some neighbouring properties in his offers. NO idea if that will continue with the Tholo organization.

I don't think Tholo is very far away, do you know how far it is?

Tholo's address is out of Ghanzi as well. Can't be to darned far away.

If it is bought and goes all beef there may be the cull of all culls. Probably best left to the pros.
All the best.

Or the capture of all captures for resale. Never know what a new owner will do.

Gavin sold at the start that created Kanana Safaris. From my recollection. At least part of the property.

Jason had said he arranged hunting rights on some neighbouring properties in his offers. NO idea if that will continue with the Tholo organization.

Tholo's address is out of Ghanzi as well. Can't be to darned far away.

Or the capture of all captures for resale. Never know what a new owner will do.

Thanks for all the info.

Hi All,
The rumors are true I’m afraid. The Directors of Kanana have decided to sell and as inferred above in the excerpt from the Directors email, we have decided not to operate next year in case of a quick sale and handover.
My apologies for not letting everyone know sooner but our first obligation was to inform our booking agents and our clients that had booked with us for 2015 and offer them the option of moving their booked Safaris with us to Tholo Safaris. (As an aside, it is amazing how small, close knit and how quickly information spreads within the hunting fraternity, a definite plus in most circumstances.)
Personally I will be marketing and hunting for Tholo Safaris, an outstanding operation that the Eaton family have owned and operated for many, many years. For some more information about Tholo Safaris please visit www.tholosafarisbotswana.com , I implore anybody that was considering hunting at Kanana in the future to please consider coming to hunt with us at Tholo! We also have a few other exciting developments in the pipeline that I will disclose as soon as the details have been finalized, keep an eye on this space
For the next couple of months my email will remain the same, Jason@kanana.info but thereafter it will be easier to email me at jbbridger@gmail.com for the interim. My cell number will remain +26772302882 for any body that would like to call or message.
To those of you that hunted with us at Kanana, I wish to thank you sincerely for all the support and for all the great memories we forged at Kanana and I certainly hope we get to create some new exciting ones, albeit at a different venue!
Yours in hunting
Jason

I will be at the Dallas Safari Club Convention, Houston Safari Club Convention and at the SCI Convention in Jan/Feb if anybody would like to meet up!

I'm sure I see some of you at the AH get together as well. My US number is 214-499-8586.

Chat soon
Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg