Just when does this officially become ridiculous?

And to steal words from Sheakspear's Hamlet.... "To thine own self be true".....

If you are hunting in a cage.... You know it.

For my entire life, simply the mention of Shakespeare's name would put me fast asleep ... until this very moment when I read your post.

VD anyone asking for or accepting money to score for any of the major record keeping organizations is risking his measurer status as it is strictly taboo and a free service.

Really? I thought people charged for a B&C score in North America.... I've never paid, but I've heard of people charging $50 a pop.

As a official measurer for the P&Y club we are not permitted to charge for measuring but are allowed reasonable travel expense,and which I know of no one who who ever did. The club has a 35$ recording fee to have it entered in the record book and for the official certificate that is suitable for framing.

VD anyone asking for or accepting money to score for any of the major record keeping organizations is risking his measurer status as it is strictly taboo and a free service.

I do not recall exactly how much money he wanted but it might have been $40. - not sure anymore (many long years ago).
He lived about two miles from me at that time so, perhaps he was charging 20 bucks a mile travel expenses - lol.
I'm kinda smug and proud of the fact that nothing in my "bone pile", including those antlers has ever been scored.
On the outside chance anyone gives a flip, the antlers in question are in my posted photos, I think under the title of "Safari Bar" and it's the set that's on the floor, with a zebra rug in the foreground.
Not sure why the score measure guy was so focused about them, I have definitely seen bigger.
The humor, imo, is that I only shot that particular bull because he was the first caribou I saw in 3 days of hunting for meat......I would have taken a cow at that stage, as long as it didn't have a calf with it.
Blah, blah, blah, Out.

I agree "hunting" small high fenced farms isn't really hunting but just shooting. You are basically guaranteed the animal that you want especially for these really high priced "hunts". Now I am not saying that farms should be done away with they do have their place imo, for example I have a buddy who shot a bison cow from a buffalo ranch. The main reason that he did it was for the meat. It was quite an affordable "hunt" and you get a lot of good meat out of it- better than the stuff you buy from the grocery store and for a better price to. He never referred to this animal as a trophy though and doesn't really count a an animal he hunted. I don't really see anything wrong with this, it is only a problem ethically or morally if you start calling this animal trophy. Because imo a trophy is supposed to demonstrate your prowess as a hunter that you managed to study or understand that animals habits, track it, get a good shot and bag it. Lady luck also plays a big role. There isn't any challenge or skill involved nor luck in these types of hunts.

I also mentioned this in the high fenced African hunting thread that you do have some purists who think that hunting on any high fenced farm regardless of its size isn't hunting and that they even view trophy hunting as not true hunting. Yes the animal is completely free range and natural but you have a skilled guide with a team of trackers who find the animal and you have to shot it and if you mess up that and make a poor shot the PH or guide is there to back it up. Is it really your trophy and would you have been able to get it without the guide and his team? Most likely no and from their point of view it isn't your trophy now this is somewhat of an extreme pov but it is one that exists.

Now if this guy wants to blow huge amounts of money shooting something like this then fine its his money and he can do with it as he pleases. I don't get why anybody would want to but heck a lot of people don't understand why anybody would want to hunt at all. My main issue is when the record books call this hunting. These animals should be treated as domestic animals and when they are documented it should be the same way as farm animal records are kept ie there is a record of who raised the biggest pig, bull etc... The farmer should get recognition for raising such a deer not everyone or nobody else has managed to do it.

I agree with the comment of Dragan N...
In fact, I don´t understand why trere are not TWO records books... ONE for the "really wild" animals, and another for the laboratoey monsters!.... Years ago, there may be impossible and irrelevant...
Today? it´s all commercial... "what you pay, what you kill"... Sadness...

The antlers kind of look like the coral branches I have in my bedroom

Just the terminnoligy; "measurer status" gives me the sneezers so, you can be assured that he was in no jeopardy of losing his, by receiving any money from me - not in a trillion years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!