July 2015 Safari with Hartzview

MichElk

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Today I thought, hey, with all the thought, effort and day-dreaming, and more thought I've done to date, why not begin my own thread of my own journey. It will help me have all my thoughts in one place as well as possibly help me with input from fellow hunters that weigh in at each step on my road to S.A.

So I suppose I will begin at the beginning…

I was introduced to SCI about two years ago by a fellow teacher. He had received a grant from our Lansing SCI chapter to go to SCI's American Wilderness Leadership School (AWLS). He began an archery club at our high school, and had sent out an email to other teachers in the district about this program. I hopped on board and soon a colleague and I were on our way to Jackson Hole, WY for "school" in the summer of 2013. The instructors and campus were first rate and this year my colleague and I have begun an archery program at our elementary school in the school district.

I went to our local SCI banquet last year to thank them for their donation for leadership school, and this year my wife and I decided to go again with friends as I wanted to, "check out one of the fishing trips being auctioned off." Well, a few drinks later, the great prices African Safaris were going for, and with my loose lips the stage was set. A Harzview safari was up next and I blurt out that if this trip is reasonable I'm bidding. My wife's eyebrows raise and she is a bit surprised, but not providing resistance. I, of course, saw that as a green light. The short version is that I was the winner of the Hartzview donation for two hunters. As the auctioneer pointed and said "sold!" I yelled as I stood up, "I'm going to Africa!" (See attached photo)

I laughed and giggled like a little school girl the rest of the night and into the morning until my wife made the comment, "I've never seen you this excited, even on our wedding day." I should have seen it, but being the dumb caveman, I didn't. The bait was in the water and I played with it by saying, "Well YyyyeaaaH, beeecause I'm going to Africa," I say while giggling. An hour or so goes by and my wife yanks and sets the hook……………

Stay tuned:)

2014-05-16 08.18.59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you first hand you are in for a great trip with jacques and hartzview.The ranch is amazing and loaded with all kinds of animals.You will have a trip of a lifetime and be treated better then you ever thought possible.

Awesome thread.

I'm leaving Sunday for Hartzview.... been a longtime planning & preparing.

BHW,

Good luck and have fun on your trip. Make sure to post your trip when you return. I would love here about it. Clear out all the snakes if you would please. Just read the black mamba thread last night on AH. Snakes bring out the estrogen in me. I need to buy a St. Patrick pendant for my trip.

Haha.... Yeah.... I love DEAD snakes!!!!!

Agreed! I once met up with a timber rattler on horseback in Colorado. The horse was about as impressed with the snake as I was. Luckily, I was able to keep the horse calm enough from bolting as a rode it often being a volunteer at the horse ranch. The snake was swiftly dispatched and I wrapped it up in my shirt, minus the head, and tied it to the saddle. Half way back to the barn that damn snake wriggled its tail out of the shirt and every time the rattle his the flank of the horse it would begin rattling. To say the horse was less than pleased is an understatement! Now I see that snake from time to time in my father's basement as I mounted it on a split cedar fence post.

Congratulations. This looks like a fun thread to follow.

All the best.

Just read the black mamba thread last night on AH. Snakes bring out the estrogen in me.

Now that's one I'll need to remember. If you're going in early July, it should still be too cold at night for much snake movement. When I was there last year in late May / early June we didn't see any.

It was to talk to you the other night, as always any questions you have for your trip are more than welcomed.

I'm leaving Sunday for Hartzview.... been a longtime planning & preparing.

Are you still getting sleep at night?

ha ha ha great start to a thread mate .
you are one happy bloke in that photo.......

When we were there in july we did not see any snake but jaques did tell us about the black mambo they caught in the room we stayed in.Bullet did catch some kind of big lizard like 3 ft long that he carried around like a toy.The lizard weighed as much as he did and we all got a good laugh.

When we were there in july we did not see any snake but jaques did tell us about the black mambo they caught in the room we stayed in.Bullet did catch some kind of big lizard like 3 ft long that he carried around like a toy.The lizard weighed as much as he did and we all got a good laugh.
Which room was that? I will make sure to get the earliest flight into town so I can pick a different one. I don't want to be the butt of the joke when I hit octaves a grown man shouldn't be reaching. (Arms flailing atop a chair).

Oh you will be fine in july to cold for the snakes to be out.I was in the middle hut with the tall thacheted roof.
Just wait till you see the ranch you will forget all about the snakes.When we were there bullet the wonder dog would be at our door each morning waiting on us so the fun could start.

Part two...

So a "talk" ensues about family trips now put on hold because of the coming cost of the Africa trip. She has convincing points and the mercury on my guilt-o-meter is beginning to spike. How kids are now not going to get to go to Disney anytime soon and she is right. On our budget we can't do both in close proximity, but I'm also thinking in the back of my mind sheepishly, "but I'm going to Africa."

I want to say Disney would be so much more appealing to me if I could bring a paintball gun to snipe all the characters. In fact, that could be a great new attraction. Mickey is saying, "Hi kids!" with his perma-smile waving. Goofy is trying to catch a butterfly and trips on a banana peal. Chip and Dale are throwing acorns at my head while I stalk behind fake plastic foliage towards my prey. I spring up from behind the water fountain that looks like an elephant trunk. Mickey says, "Oh my!" and BAM! He gets two behind the ear. Mickey giggles and congratulates me on a great hunt and we get our picture taken together be a staff photographer in a princess dress. (If this happens I want some royalties Walt)

So back to my story and out of my daydream. After apologies of being selfish and offering to call the outfitter and tell them I wouldn't be coming. That what I paid would be strictly a donation to SCI, she says no, I should go take the trip with my father as I was planning. I still have some damage control to do with the wife, but oddly, as she was finishing that statement, my phone was already in my hand calling my father and the outfitter to get this trip engraved in stone. Once again, "I'm going to AFRICA!"

Part three...

After setting up my safari and getting my father and I in the books, conversations have been interesting. My neighbor and his wife have been to Africa once, and while having dinner and martinis with them recently they proposed that if they went would my wife go. My wife caved and agreed that if our neighbors went she would go as well.

Of course the next day she retracted her statement because of her fear of flying over the ocean. The neighbors are still considering the proposition of an Africa trip though.

Then in a separate conversation with my parents, my mom brought up the proposition of my wife and mom joining us. My wife was on the fence and really considering it until she found out how much extra it would be for her to join us. Chances are slim that she will come, but I keep telling her from time to time what she will be missing out on. She has never showed a desire to hunt, but I remind her this trip is so much more than just the hunt. We will see, but for now dad and I ARE going, my neighbors are a maybe, and mom and wife doubtful.

In 2010 after the better part of 19 years of marriage, my wife went with me to Africa. As a married man I first ventured out into the cold morning just a few weeks after we were married to go deer hunting. She stayed at home. But for an occasion or two over those years she never went hunting with me. Took her to the range a few times and she proved to be a good shot on the bench, but still I could not get her to go.

She was right there however when I took the nyala you see in my avatar and that seemed to spark her interest. A day or two later she started asking about if she could go hunting and on the last day of my now our hunt she took an impala. She can't wait for us to go back together. Be careful what you ask for in asking your wife to go, your taxidermy bill may go up.

That said, I can't wait either to have Donna with me in Africa again.

Interesting forum topic...:D

I am sure you will have a great experience, see what options you have for taking care of your children when you go, so that your wife can make the sojourn. Or see what your wife and children air fare will be and plan on making it a family trip. Ask Jacques what is available for your wife and children to do while you are out hunting.

After a South African PH came for a short visit, he was able to talk my wife in to making a journey across the pond later this year. (y) So we will be on a 2 1/2 week safari in 2014. :)

Being retired, and flexible in my travel dates, we went with my wife's guidelines. Not to hot or to cold. Therefore, we went with our PH friend suggestion on dates to provide a varied African experience for my wife. We will be doing a museum, site seeing, shopping, game drives, plus hunting at 5 different camps.

Camps will vary from rustic to 5 star. We will be hunting different animals at each camp. Some animals i have not had a chance to hunt yet, and one that has been missed on my past safaris. I probably am in the minority here, as I seem to miss 1 or 2 animals :( that i have wanted in past safaris.

Jacques & Hartzview are absolutely awesome.... I'm going to post my report tomorrow or Monday.... I just got back from my May 18-28 trip..... Unbelievable. Highly suitable for all.... We did a lot of hiking koppies.... But the service, staff, accommodations, etc.... 5 star. Phoenix Phil took one of his boys last year.... Was great from my understanding. Post more later on new thread.

Great thread! You will LOVE hunting at Hartzview. Great folks and trophy animals make for an experience enjoyed by everyone.

Congrats on a successful trip BWH, look forward to reading the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg