Ole Bally

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Judging Trophies in the Field

Here are some parameters used to assist in trophy judgment for Southern African species. Only experience and time will make you proficient.

judging-trophies.jpg

It would be great value to have the rest of the African species not listed added by some diligent fellow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ole Bally, thanks for the info.
Throw the ear lengths into your table and everyone will be set.
The eye to nose stuff will help all the taxidermists. :)

Good info.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the average base circumference of a mature Nyala bull and a mature Impala ram is?

Best person to ask will be an SCI measurer.
That is a measurement required for both trophies in that system of measurement.
Hope someone can pipe up here and answer.

Good info.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the average base circumference of a mature Nyala bull and a mature Impala ram is?

Impala Horn Base: The base circumference of an average Impala ram will measure around 5 to 7 inches - for field judging 6 inches

Nyala Horn Base: Can someone provide this info?

Judging Trophies in the Field

Here are some parameters used to assist in trophy judgment for Southern African species. Only experience and time will make you proficient.

It would be great value to have the rest of the African species not listed added by some diligent fellow!

Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us Ole Bally.

I made an easy to print version...

(click on thumbnails to view/print the Judging Trophies in the Field guide)

Last edited by a moderator:
Species - Gemsbok / Oryx
SCI Minimum - 80
Approximate Horn - 36 (Bull) - 38 (Cow)
Length / Spread - face length = about 15 inches - ear length in relaxed position = about 6 to 7 inches
Parameter Used to Estimate -
Gemsbok / Oryx Bull Horn Base: The base circumference of a good Gemsbok / Oryx bull will measure around 8 to 9 inches - for field judging 8 inches
Gemsbok / Oryx Cow Horn Base: The base circumference of a good Gemsbok / Oryx cow will measure around 6 to 7 inches - for field judging 6 inches

Last edited:
The ear lengths are not always clearly seen! It's easy to judge the horn length if you have something to measure it by! The eye to nose is the easiest to remember!
Just saying!

Ole Bally, I am such a poor stalker that they are always looking at me with ears erect when I get the shot.

Ole Bally, I am such a poor stalker that they are always looking at me with ears erect when I get the shot.

yuk yuk yuk!!! We nicknamed noisy clients 'kellogs boys'...Snap Crackle and Pop
You know we valued people like you! How else was one to get an adrenaline rush when Mr Nyati was disturbed and swung around with a 'who said I owe you money' look?!
By the way a frontal heart shot on Buff was one of my favourites! "Use enough gun" someone clever said!! ;)

Some really good advice given here, very helpful material!

This is going to help me in my next hunt !

Thanks for this information! I realize this is an old post but it is new to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross