Judging Roe Deer

mihai

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunted
Romania
I hope with these Roe Deer photos will help you judge and assess the trophy size of this species which is measured in grams. After cleaning the trophy, we weigh the horns and upper skull without the lower jaw, then subtract 90 grams. In Romania almost all trophies are sold by size.

280gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

300gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

320gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

350gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

380gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

450gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

500gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

550gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

290gr. - 260gr. - 280gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

200gr. - 420gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple Roe Deer with weight from AH Photo Gallery...

240gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

296gr. Roe Deer
watermark.php

As a crazy Roe Deer hunter, my goal was to get a 500gr. !!! After more than 15 years it's done… The buck is 510gr. and 10 5/8.
watermark.php

Here is a very nice Roe Deer at 430gr. and 23 cm.
watermark.php

Out of curiosity, why is 90 grams subtracted from the weight?

watermark.php

International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation (CIC) Roe Deer Measuring Guide

To enable the Trophy Judges to measure Roe buck heads, the skulls should have been cleaned of all skin and tissue, boiled out and if may be trimmed to the short nose cut as shown in the diagram.

The short nose cut is represented by the top solid black line and whilst the other other cuts shown are acceptable, including a full skull without the jawbone, deductions will be made for those other cuts during the scoring process. Owners are however encouraged to have their trophies measured with a full skull before having them cut for mounting purposes.

As a rough guide to the potential score that your Roe head might reach, the following net weights are given to indicate the possible medal status. Please remember that these are net weights for a short nose cut and that there are other factors involved in the final measurement. A full skull will require 90grms to be deducted to achieve the net weight:

Bronze Medal 365grms
Silver Medal 420grms
Gold medal 500grms

Source: International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation (CIC)

See attached pdf document - CIC Trophy Measuring Rules and Regulations.

Attachments

• trophy-rules-revapr2013-en.pdf
    555.1 KB · Views: 648
Ah, thanks for the information! They're beautiful animals. My great-grandfather, who passed away years before I was born (He died while out hunting roe deer, actually.), shot one near his home in Germany and the skull was displayed in my grandparents' house while I was growing up. No one in my family hunted at that time, and that little skull was one of the things that got me interested in hunting.

As a crazy Roe Deer hunter, my goal was to get a 500gr. !!! After more than 15 years it's done… The buck is 510gr. and 10 5/8.
watermark.php

watermark.php

Wonderfful trophies Christophe. Congrats.
I envy you.
Witpld

Thanks for the picture, but I think my eyes may need to adjust to a gram system. lol

Markferrigno, Those are beautiful trophies congrats on your success.

Now I have some idea of what I am looking at.

Thanks.

watermark.php

watermark.php
Those are amazing Roe Bucks! The top one is a beautiful trophy, one of the nicest I have ever seen. I am also a "Crazy Roe Buck" hunter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross