Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
I suggest you use Riflepermits.com VIP meet and greet service and they will get you through the lines!

There is upside to this situation.

Your luggage will be there when you finally get through!

I suggest you use Riflepermits.com VIP meet and greet service and they will get you through the lines!

I could do that, but I was traveling without any firearms, so I didn't have that issue to slow me down. I've been through JNB now enough time to be familar with it and for the most part it's a pretty good airport. But as the article pointed out, there are a number of government red tape issues that weren't well thought out.

Another article discusses the issues and also points out that many airlines are offereing more direct flights from Europe and the middle east, direct to places like Windhoek, Zim and Zam.

http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/article/114900/Why-we-need-to-wake-up-and-fight-for-every-passenger

Well, crap. This scares the ... out of me. Ann and I leave in 3 days for Mozambique. We do have an overnight stay in Joberg when we arrive, but it sounds like we need to be at the airport at least 4 hours early to catch our flight the next day to Maputo. Crazy.

Another article discusses the issues and also points out that many airlines are offereing more direct flights from Europe and the middle east, direct to places like Windhoek, Zim and Zam.

South African government shooting themselves in the foot yet again. Perhaps this is the new math: Less tourists equals a cost saving.
Maybe a new graduate from UCT is in charge now.
If they work really hard at it, perhaps they can have a one to one ratio of tourists to Customs officials.

The good news is that once airlines start to divert resources the lines will become shorter.

Well, crap. This scares the ... out of me. Ann and I leave in 3 days for Mozambique. We do have an overnight stay in Joberg when we arrive, but it sounds like we need to be at the airport at least 4 hours early to catch our flight the next day to Maputo. Crazy.

I did not have any long lines or problems leaving JNB, just on the arrival side. Since you are overnighting in JNB (good decision, BTW) you shouldn't have any problem.

As far as checking in to go to Maputo, SAA or Airlink has told me in the past that you can only check in 2 hours before your flight. They don't want a bunch of luggage sitting in carts on the tarmac for long periods of time. So I would plan to get to the check in around 2-1/2 hrs before your flight and you should be good.

Copied this from an airport info page:
The airport is organized into two main terminals, linked by a common atrium: Terminal A and Terminal B. Terminal A (the northern one) is for international flights and Terminal B (the southern one) is for domestic flights. The vast majority of international check-in counters are in Terminal A, but South African Airways international passengers must check in at SAA's counters in Terminal B even though their flights will depart from Terminal A.

@375 Ruger Fan Thanks for the information. That makes me feel better. We're staying at Africa Sky Guest House. So, they and their driver was good about getting us through last time.

Coming back we have 4 hours from when we arrive into OR Tambo from Maputo before our flight out to Atlanta. So, that should be fine.

I was there on Sept 20 and left sept 27. The lines we experienced were no longer than the lines at the airports in the states. Maybe will depend on the time of day when you arrive and how many other flights there are at about the same time...

meet and greet the way to go.

meet and greet the way to go.
Unless one of the services can whisk you into the head of the line somehow I don't see how using them is going to help in the immigration line, as this is before you are in the airport proper. Once you are on the other side and IF you need to collect your guns for an overnight stay or if you are hunting RSA, then yeah hire them, but I don't see how they can help beforehand.

We use "meet and greet". Ninety bucks for four people. Last time, May of this year, two minutes to get through customs/immigration, get the bags and straight to the SAP, ten minutes to get the firearms. Worth every penny.

Unless one of the services can whisk you into the head of the line somehow I don't see how using them is going to help in the immigration line

I just got back last night from my recent trip to RSA. I used Henry's services not just for the permit but the meet and greet at the jetway. Previously having used this service we were wisked right to the front of passport control, not this time. While waiting in line, the gent who met us mentioned that the new biometrics system was thankfully not being used that morning. He went on to tell me how he had to wait for a couple of hours for a previous client to get through the system before eventually taking him to SAPS for his permit.

So for me I would not pay for the meet and greet again in the future. The pre-approved permit I still would, but not the whole enchilada.

I also would be very leery of booking any connecting flights less that depart less than 3 hours after arrival. If that biometrics system is being used, you could easily miss that connecting flight. I've personally never had any issues with anything at Tambo, but if this system does not improve, it was a bad decision. The impression I got from Henry's guy was that the gov't doesn't care about connecting flights or if you miss them.

Since when can you use meet and greet to get thru immigration? How does that work? You don't get to use them until you are thru immigration unless something changed.

I have been known to forget my nationality and find myself in a shorter line with these South African folks. :whistle:

Since when can you use meet and greet to get thru immigration? How does that work? You don't get to use them until you are thru immigration unless something changed.

If you ask Henry for the VIP service, there will be someone right there at the gate to meet you. How they're able to get it done, but I've used that service twice now.

I just got back last night from my recent trip to RSA. I used Henry's services not just for the permit but the meet and greet at the jetway. Previously having used this service we were wisked right to the front of passport control, not this time. While waiting in line, the gent who met us mentioned that the new biometrics system was thankfully not being used that morning. He went on to tell me how he had to wait for a couple of hours for a previous client to get through the system before eventually taking him to SAPS for his permit.

So for me I would not pay for the meet and greet again in the future. The pre-approved permit I still would, but not the whole enchilada.

I also would be very leery of booking any connecting flights less that depart less than 3 hours after arrival. If that biometrics system is being used, you could easily miss that connecting flight. I've personally never had any issues with anything at Tambo, but if this system does not improve, it was a bad decision. The impression I got from Henry's guy was that the gov't doesn't care about connecting flights or if you miss them.
If you ask Henry for the VIP service, there will be someone right there at the gate to meet you. How they're able to get it done, but I've used that service twice now.

Well all I can say is that this is news to me. I had no idea you could use them to get thru immigration! I was under the impression they could only be used to help get thru SAPS. Must be a little awkward elbowing past all the other poor sods in line waiting to get thru customs to go ahead of the line. Ever get punched?

Well all I can say is that this is news to me. I had no idea you could use them to get thru immigration! I was under the impression they could only be used to help get thru SAPS. Must be a little awkward elbowing past all the other poor sods in line waiting to get thru customs to go ahead of the line. Ever get punched?

Yeah, but like I say, with the new system there is no getting around it if being used. I won't pay for the VIP service in the future.

Did they take you to a different line for VIP use only or just barge in front of the nearest line? Afraid I have a hard time wrapping my head around this.:rolleyes:o_O:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg