Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
this .450-.400 by W.J. Jeffery & Co boxlock double with which Jim Corbett killed many man eaters, and mentioned so often in his books, will be auctioned off by a major auction house mar 15. Part of the Elmer Keith collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a picture?

Which auction house ....... no dont tell me ......... can only afford the divorce OR maybe that rife -

The Iconic Elmer Keith Estate Collection of Specialty Sporting Arms. Elmer Keith was probably the most famous and prolific gun writer, scholar and big game hunter of the 20th Century.

To most firearms aficionados, Elmer Keith needs no introduction. Keith’s trademarks were his cigars, his ten-gallon Stetson, his outspoken opinions and practical expertise. Elmer became arguably the most famous and prolific gun writer in America over the span of his 60 year career. Even today his articles and books are widely reprinted with the content being as applicable and fresh as the day they were written. During the 1920’s and 1930’s, Elmer was a rancher and big game guide in Oregon and Idaho with his first articles starting to appear during this time. His first published work was in the American Rifleman in 1924. During World War II, he served as a small arms inspector at the Ogden, UT Arsenal and subsequently devoted his full efforts towards writing in the beginning in the ‘50’s. During his career, he served on the staff of The Outdoorsman, The American Rifleman, Western Sportsman, Guns, and Guns and Ammo. Elmer also wrote 10 books, beginning with Sixgun Cartridges and Loads in 1936 and ending with his autobiography, Hell, I was there! in 1979.

Keith espoused form and function in his works. An avid big game hunter stemming from his roots as a Rocky Mountain guide, Elmer practiced what he preached and was equally proficient with a big-bore revolver, bolt auction, single shot or double rifle. His collection being offered at Julia’s includes treasures from Keith’s battery of African stopping rifles, highlighted by the legendary “Corbett Tiger Rifle”; the famous Jeffery .450/400, once the principal weapon of famed Tiger hunter Edward James “Jim” Corbett. Also a selection of English Best Quality stopping rifles by Westley Richards and Holland & Holland, Classic Farquarsons and magazine rifles by Hoffman Arms and C-H, along with a host of specialized hunting and target handguns by Smith& Wesson, Ruger, and Colt… The prize being Elmer’s much publicized tricked out and engraved Colt “SAA No.5” in .44 Spl which Keith called The Last Word in fine Sixguns. The importance of the Elmer Keith Estate Collection cannot be overstated.

corbett-jim.jpg
jim-corbett.jpg

The late Jim Corbett’s Tiger Rifle
The best quality boxlock .450-400 by W.J. Jeffery & Co., with which he killed so many man-eating tigers for the Indian government (Elmer Keith Estate Coll.).

jim-corbett-double.jpg

See also: http://www.himalayanhoneymoons.com/...jim-corbett-national-park/jim-corbetts-rifles

I wonder what this rifle will bring. I could see it going for over 500k, depending upon the added value brought by the former owner. A few years ago, auctioneers were surprised that Ernest hemingway's .577 brought less than expected. A little over 300k. This rifle had two great hunters as owners, quite unusual. ........fwb

Jim Corbett's books are well worth reading. Very interesting fellow and extremely brave. He was a great hunter who had a great love for the cats.

I'm betting one of the rich Maharajas gets it.Quite an important piece of history in India it is. I only found out a couple of years ago that you could download all of Corbetts and Kennth Andersons books for free at Archive.org

I'm betting one of the rich Maharajas gets it.Quite an important piece of history in India it is. I only found out a couple of years ago that you could download all of Corbetts and Kennth Andersons books for free at Archive.org

Nope - too hard in India and too few Maharajas left (at least with any money) - those days pretty much ended with WWII and independence. My guess it will be an American or Russian who buys it. I'm pulling for Bill Jones - he has the Hemingway Rifle and two of Selous's among others.

Nope - too hard in India and too few Maharajas left (at least with any money) - those days pretty much ended with WWII and independence. My guess it will be an American or Russian who buys it. I'm pulling for Bill Jones - he has the Hemingway Rifle and two of Selous's among others.
I should have put "maharajas" in inverted commas to mean some Indian billionaire that might be interested.

Mercy !

I'd love to just hold that rifle and be able to put it to my shoulder, just once.

I would be willing to bet Mr. Jones whom bought Hemingway,s rifle as well as other famous hunters rifles will make an effort to win this one.

So who got it and at what price? Corbett did a lot of hunting with his ".275" light bolt action. I don't know who has it now.

The Iconic Elmer Keith Estate Collection of Specialty Sporting Arms. Elmer Keith was probably the most famous and prolific gun writer, scholar and big game hunter of the 20th Century.

To most firearms aficionados, Elmer Keith needs no introduction. Keith’s trademarks were his cigars, his ten-gallon Stetson, his outspoken opinions and practical expertise. Elmer became arguably the most famous and prolific gun writer in America over the span of his 60 year career. Even today his articles and books are widely reprinted with the content being as applicable and fresh as the day they were written. During the 1920’s and 1930’s, Elmer was a rancher and big game guide in Oregon and Idaho with his first articles starting to appear during this time. His first published work was in the American Rifleman in 1924. During World War II, he served as a small arms inspector at the Ogden, UT Arsenal and subsequently devoted his full efforts towards writing in the beginning in the ‘50’s. During his career, he served on the staff of The Outdoorsman, The American Rifleman, Western Sportsman, Guns, and Guns and Ammo. Elmer also wrote 10 books, beginning with Sixgun Cartridges and Loads in 1936 and ending with his autobiography, Hell, I was there! in 1979.

Keith espoused form and function in his works. An avid big game hunter stemming from his roots as a Rocky Mountain guide, Elmer practiced what he preached and was equally proficient with a big-bore revolver, bolt auction, single shot or double rifle. His collection being offered at Julia’s includes treasures from Keith’s battery of African stopping rifles, highlighted by the legendary “Corbett Tiger Rifle”; the famous Jeffery .450/400, once the principal weapon of famed Tiger hunter Edward James “Jim” Corbett. Also a selection of English Best Quality stopping rifles by Westley Richards and Holland & Holland, Classic Farquarsons and magazine rifles by Hoffman Arms and C-H, along with a host of specialized hunting and target handguns by Smith& Wesson, Ruger, and Colt… The prize being Elmer’s much publicized tricked out and engraved Colt “SAA No.5” in .44 Spl which Keith called The Last Word in fine Sixguns. The importance of the Elmer Keith Estate Collection cannot be overstated.

View attachment 34641 View attachment 34640

The late Jim Corbett’s Tiger Rifle
The best quality boxlock .450-400 by W.J. Jeffery & Co., with which he killed so many man-eating tigers for the Indian government (Elmer Keith Estate Coll.).

View attachment 34642

See also: http://www.himalayanhoneymoons.com/...jim-corbett-national-park/jim-corbetts-rifles

I read "Hell I Was There" around 91 or 92 or so. A great book for any hunter/shooter to read. He would have surely been a unique character to have met in person!

My guess it will be an American or Russian who buys it. I'm pulling for Bill Jones - he has the Hemingway Rifle and two of Selous's among others

Up here in Canada the last two episodes of "Tracks Across Africa" on Wild TV featured the stories of those rifles and Bill Jones subsequently taking them back to Africa for a hunt. Would like to see him hopefully get this one, so we can see it in action again.

So who got it and at what price? Corbett did a lot of hunting with his ".275" light bolt action. I don't know who has it now.

Oops, nevermind, I see where the OP said the auction is March 15-16.

That's a piece of history right there. Corbett was a tough bird, doing what he did in India. Maneaters of Kumaon was one of the first maneater adventure books I read as a teenager.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemjhon405

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber