Is This The Future Of Archery

Whilst I do love me some cool, unique toys, I don't think I'll be adding this to my vault in the future.

It is a bit different. At 450 FPS what is maximum effective range? Maybe 60 yards? Crossbow type of bolt. Its effective range/style of shooting, reminds me of archery.... Basically it fits closest to a crossbow. I have thought about trying a crossbow at times. Bursitis in my shoulders doesn't allow traditional archery. This IS different and interesting. Modern technology strikes again. Bruce

Alaska law paraphrased states a bow is 'a devise for launching an arrow which derives it's energy soley from the bending and recovery of two limbs... They energy used to propel the arrow may not be derived from hydraulic, pneumatic, explosive...devices'
No limbs, not a bow.
Obviously an effective weapon, but it's a pneumatic bolt gun in my books.

This is going to take poaching to a whole new level...

This is going to take poaching to a whole new level...
Around the states, the poachers are USUALLY uneducated, cheap, behind the times and a little inebriated locals. I doubt they'll fork over the cash for one of these high priced units.

this thing is just as much of a bow as a modern inline is a muzzle loader.

-matt

this thing is just as much of a bow as a modern inline is a muzzle loader.

-matt
Actually the original inline design was conceptualized as far back as 1808. Jean Samuel Pauley patented a system in which the cock of the sidelock was replaced by a cylindrical hammer driven by a coil spring. His system was then expanded upon by Johann Nicolaus von Dreyse who developed the Dreyse Needle gun that was adopted by the German military in 1871.

This "airbow" has nothing to do with a bow but air pressure. The only thing that it has in common with a actual bow is that it shoots a arrow.

As long as one is hunting in the traditional sense, I see it as just another tool.

I have to agree with @Hogpatrol . In my neck of the woods most of the poaching is still carried out with a spot light and .22 rifle. Shoot in plenty of instances they are known to use a run of the mill deer rifle if they are far enough out in the boonies. They know there aren't a ton of game wardens in any given area. Most likely they fear private landowners more.

It's an air gun in my observation. I'm sure it will be used on feral hogs.

Have to agree it is unlikely to actually become a poachers weapon of choice... Certainly not likely to replace snares and Ak's in Africa. It would require some pretty high tech poachers.

Reminds me of a bulky version of the pneumatic spearguns we made in the 1980's. 3000 psi gave an effective range of apx. 15'.

Would i use it to hunt.... I don't think so, but it is a very lethal weapon and can easily kill a animal. Im a bit old school when it comes to these things but sure it will be a success.

I live in a suburban area that is overpopulated with deer. It really isn't about sport at this point where I live; it is about population control. Crossbows are legal during archery season; this isn't at this time. I'm not sure if it offers much beyond what a good modern crossbow offers, but it certainly sounds quiet and looks easy to use. It may be a useful tool. Also not sure if it offers much beyond what a really powerful airgun offers as far as lethality or quiet, but I am willing to be convinced that a cutting edge projectile like an arrow can make more out of the energy available than a bullet would. If it has more limited range than a bullet that would be a plus as well.

As far as sport hunting goes, I will stand in the minority. While it may not be traditional, I do think that the limited range offers a challenge vs. a rifle, even vs. a good muzzleloading rifle. I don't think it is archery. Probably closest to choosing to hunt with a smooth bore musket as far as challenge goes.

Had a go with a mates one of these the other day over here in the UK interesting idea about the same sound as a rimfire in firing very accurate I have to say and nearly every bolt went through his archery target some went 5 inches through the 1/2 inch ply board behind it so it's very caperble of taking game for sure

to those that worry about poachers using this air bow,

I have large bore air rifles, they are not quiet. i have killed semi-large game with mine, others have shot black bears, deer, wild boars, etc.

as far a it being an ideal poachers weapon, so is a 22. so is a suppressed weapon. so is a compound bow or cross bow. a poacher is guy with a state of mind willing to do something illegal, for some perceived benefit. the choice of weapon is largely irrelevant.

just like cross bows allow older people to hunt, (not having to hold the bow back, etc) this would as well.

although i am not entirely sure on how to classify it, it works much like a crossbow or compound bow. and just like cable tv channels, if you don't like it, don't use one.

no, i don't own one. :)

I remember when I was a young boy that there was a little wire adapter that fit on a sling shot so you could shoot a arrow out of it. Not quite at 425fps but till functional. In my way of thinking to be archery it has to be hand held and a string pulled by hand. I just barley acknowledge compounds (Even though I do hunt with one sometimes) a recurve or longbow are always my first choice. I would own one of those things but can see the appeal to others. So if it floats your boat shoot one. Just don't think it should be out during archery hunts (No string)

Definitely a good tool for those who physically cannot shoot a bow-my state allows the injured and handicapped only to use crossbows during regular archery season, so in that regard it has value. Mostly I see this as a gimmick for young hunters who haven't acquired skills and experience to become killers rather than archers and sportsmen. Hurts my feeling s to see j shockey pimping it. I can guess at least two other tv personalities jumping on board soon. It seems a good tool to further divide the hunting community-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg