Is this an original Westley Richards

Kamran

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would be grateful if members could shed some light on the originality, performance and details of this Westley Richards 375 H&H Magnum bolt action rifle. Please ad a review of this make, model and gun as that would help me in deciding wether to buy it or not. Thanks

Attachments

• 375 H&H 1.jpg
    375 H&H 1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC_0207.JPG
    DSC_0207.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 718
  • 375H&H 3.jpg
    375H&H 3.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 437
  • 375 H&H 2.jpg
    375 H&H 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC_0194.JPG
    DSC_0194.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0197.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 348
From what I can see,the action and barrel are original.The barrel band sling swivel looks to be an after-market addition.The stock,well,I'm sure at all what that is..!My books lead me to believe that WR did not make monte carlo stocks,that looks like some sort of add-on.Have a reputable 'smith go over it for you,and if it's good,snap it up and have it re-stocked to fit you.Those are fine rifles.Good luck.

Thank you for the information, Docman. Other members, your input please.

I would agree with Docman. The barrel and action are original. The scope mount is some sort dismountable system which WR may have offered at some point, but is more likely after market. If you have the scope and remainder of the mount, that would be interesting to see. I went to the WR site and plugged the serial number into a search engine they maintain but no record was found. This is not unusual on bolt actions. Apparently a lot of those ledgers are lost. I too am pretty sure about the barrel band being after market as well. Unusual though because it would be very unlike WR to offer a rifle without a barrel sling attachment. The bolt handle has been modified for scope use but was remarked with the original serial number so I would believe that is WR's work. The stock, or at least most of it, is clearly a later hack job of unsurpassing ugliness! So I am guessing a fairly hard used late twenties, thirties era rifle.

Assuming the rifling is in good shape (something to check VERY closely), but the rest of the scope mount has gone to live with its ancestors, you have the opportunity to buy well used WR barreled action (the markings on the barrel and discoloration indicate it has been rotary polished and reblued at least once.) if you can get it for almost nothing it might be the basis for a custom rifle with the cache of the WR name. A new quality stock built like a pre-war British express rifle will start around 2K and go to however much you are willing to pay. The scope mounts would need to be replaced with a modern dimountable system with little likelihood that current holes are current industry standard (more custom work).

I know, that name and address, however worn, are alluring, but I wouldn't touch it unless I could have it for almost nothing. Then I would probably curse the day I brought it home because it could easily turn into a multi-k unrecoverable money pit.

I have to agree with Red Leg! This gun to look like something you would be proud to take home is going to cost you a pretty penny to fix up. You have to be totally in love with Westley Richards to fix it up too. I would pass...and spend the money on hunting or a different gun.

Can you explain the buttstock? It appears to be some sort of slip on item perhaps leather? It looks like stitching on the front of the pistol grip and perhaps the monte carlo is part of that? Cannot really tell without closeups. I once owned a beautiful WR in 7x57 (wish I still did) but it was untouched and it had a barrel band swivel but it was petite. The one on this one does look aftermarket but who knows. I would also want a look inside to look for cracks though its not that big a deal to restock especially if this is not the original. You didnt say what the asking price is.

Dear Kamran,
the question in itself gives the reader a lot of doubt.Do you feel that this might not be an original WR?and Why?PersonallyI feel if you have to get a bolt action get a good modern weapon and dont go by the name on this one.
Regards
Sondhi

Thank you all for so much information. Actually I live in Pakistan and overhere prices of weapons are quite high. A $600 glock is for Rs. 250,000
($3,000) over here. The above rifle is for $ 2,500 (conversion into $$).

Normally, a $500 rifle in the USA is for $ 3,000 over here.
Mr. Red Leg, would you have bought it if it was for $500 and then refurbished it.

Mr. enysse, If I have the opportunity of getting a new CZ 500 in same caliber and price, then which one should I buy.

Mr. sestoppelman, price mentioned above. please comment.

Mr. sondhi470, does the CZ above in anyway match to the WR mentioned.

Yes, buy a CZ 550...I own one and am proud to have it. It is a quality gun! Available in many Big Bore calibers. CZ also makes plains game rifles. A very good gun overall value!

Kamran...

Most rifles have some modifications performed to them after they are bought...the ones we see in the pictures would not stop most from making the purchase...i would say...

The orginal stock was probably damage and a replacement was found...again many rifle owners change the stock on rifles...

The front Sling barrel band was added after the stock change...

If the rifle bore looks good and you are satisified with the action and safety then this would be a good purchase...stocks can be changes out...if that is an issue with you...That is why there are custon stocks makers around the workl and many cookie cutter stock that can be found...

The major part appear to be orginal and that would make this a good buy for the price you state...

Hello everyone. I would be grateful if members could shed some light on the originality, performance and details of this Westley Richards 375 H&H Magnum bolt action rifle. Please ad a review of this make, model and gun as that would help me in deciding wether to buy it or not. Thanks

From what I can see,the action and barrel are original.The barrel band sling swivel looks to be an after-market addition.The stock,well,I'm sure at all what that is..!My books lead me to believe that WR did not make monte carlo stocks,that looks like some sort of add-on.Have a reputable 'smith go over it for you,and if it's good,snap it up and have it re-stocked to fit you.Those are fine rifles.Good luck.

Thank you all for so much information. Actually I live in Pakistan and overhere prices of weapons are quite high. A $600 glock is for Rs. 250,000
($3,000) over here. The above rifle is for $ 2,500 (conversion into $$).

Normally, a $500 rifle in the USA is for $ 3,000 over here.
Mr. Red Leg, would you have bought it if it was for $500 and then refurbished it.

Mr. enysse, If I have the opportunity of getting a new CZ 500 in same caliber and price, then which one should I buy.

Mr. sestoppelman, price mentioned above. please comment.

Mr. sondhi470, does the CZ above in anyway match to the WR mentioned.

I would not mess with it because I would be compelled to restore it. This is, after all, a Westley Richards and not a Winchester Model 70. That bill would be as follows.

$ 500 WR barreled action
$1500 Re-rust blue and repair name and address engraving on the barrel (this was originally hand done - not roll stamped - and needs an engraver to restore)
$3500 New stock, modern demensions, but replicating a period British express rifle stock (you could fit something cheap and/or plastic, but then why have a Westley Richards)
$ 250 New Warne bases and rings with necessary drilling and tapping
$1200 New scope (you could use a Nikon Monarch - but again this is a Westley)
$6950 Total investment maybe.

Yes you could get it to shoot for a lot less, but what would be the point? It may also be that you can do all of this a lot cheaper locally than in the States.

However, I could find a really nice .375 for a lot less than a restored Westley Richards wherever the work was done (the CZ for instance).

Khan, If you want a good working rifle in .375 H&H, buy the new CZ 550 you mentioned, you cannot go wrong. I have one in this caliber, and it shoots very well and is pleasing to eye and hand. If you want to restore an old rifle, then - well, follow your heart (and your wallet!).

I would differ in only 1 way from the general concensus. I don't think you will even be getting a barrelled action. A rifle that has seen that much service, as evidenced by the wear, is likely to be ready for a new barrel as well! So realistically unless you are a WR collector give it a miss and get a modern .375. If you are willing to buy a econd hand rifle and this post presupposes that to be the case; look around for one that somebody has bought and barely used. That is how I have got 2 rifles and a shotgun and they cost me embarassingly little.

If I undestand correctly the price would be 2500 US? If that is so assuming a good bore its probably worth that even if it needs a new stock. Its more than I would pay because that much money will buy a brand new quality rifle here.

Hi Kamran bhai,
Yes I think I would go for a better condition cz 550.It is a very good rifle in 375 h&h

karman

Being from another country many on this forum do not understand what restrictions you will have to go through to purchase a rifle...

The Westley Richards is a and was a top of the line rifle...with great accuracy when it left the factory...

All the cosmetics things are fixable and depending on your background you will be able to do some your self...

While many are trying to steer you in another direction from your orginal post...

If you have the ability to test fire the rifle that would settle many questions...

Even if you have to add some additional moneys (there is a point of no return that you have to watch out for) after the purchase this would make this a very good deal...

Now if you had asked for other points of view on other makes of rifels there are many to be found on other rifle post of forum members looking for and new or second hand rifle...i would look at those forum post to read through...

Right now we have a few regular posters who are adamant on pushing there point of view...catty bar the door sort of thing...the other forums on large bore rifles have a wider point of view on rifles to purchase...

You have not provided if you were looking at any other purchases other that the WR rifle you have found...did the rings and scope come with the potential purchase...

James,

What is "catty bar the door sort of thing"? Never heard that one before.

James,

What is "catty bar the door sort of thing"? Never heard that one before.

Apparently, if our view differs from James we are opinionated and deserving of gramatical and literary challenged criticism. As to how on earth the expression "Katy bar the door"has anything to do with anything he is trying to say above, I am afraid that I am at a total loss. (James, it originated in a James Whitcomb Riley poem - unless you know of another expression that has something to do with "cats" ?)

Kamran, with regard to your specific question, would I buy it if I could get it for $500? In all honesty, assuming the bore is ok, probably so. And several thousand dollars later, I would expect to hate myself for it

Thanks Red Leg for explaining the confusing reference for me. I finally looked it up and found the poem you refer to. James does keep us on our toes with his posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg