Is my info correct? Steep license fees...

elhewman

Reaction score
Sorry for abruptly joining the forum and not introducing. but I was thinking about heading to Ethiopia for a few years to help with a mission. I became exited for the diverse game opportunities there but my heart sunk when I believe I read that the government charges pretty much 1000.usd to even hunt birds yet alone trophy game which is deep in the thousands.

Is this the case pretty much everywhere in Africa? Boy I was happier when just doing the light research on game opportunities.

Thanks in advance!

Elhewman, I am not exactly sure as to what Ethiopia's govt charges are but I am fully aware of the pricing on safaris offered in Ethiopia, and it is not inexpensive, you are correct.

Mozambique, has gone through a similar process with the Govt almost tripling, and in many cases doubling License fees on Game, a kudu license in Tete province is now $900 that the operator needs to pay to govt...

Many places in Africa have this and it impacts heavily on some consumers and a little less in others... BUT and there is always a BUT!!! :)

There are still opportunities for hunters in different countries in Africa, South Africa being one of them... One of the very few places in the world were one has private owner ship on game, with some searching on this Forum that Jerome has put together you will find the right Outfitter at the suited price for your safari.

This you can easily incorporate into your trip either on route or on your way back,,,

Not all is lost there are some good safaris to be had that won't and should not break the bank.

My best always

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I was trying to make Africa comparable to my home in Sitka AK. I was planning on being there for a while and thought I could apply or buy tags for a reasonable price, and not need an outfitter. Looks like I am out of luck and I appreciate the response, Honestly though I was not looking for the occasional outfitted hunt safari hunt(the maybe one day) I was and still plan on Being in rural Ethiopia and was hoping to be able to hunt for less than a 1000.usd a year. I suppose if everyone could to afford to hunt in starving Ethiopia, there would be no game left.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Welcome to AH Elhewman! Jaco has given you some good info you can always plan a safari before or after you trip, but if you get the chance durring your trip you can plan to do some hunting then as well. a lot of outfitters will help you out with a rifle and unless your planning on shipping a crap load of animals back home there are always cull hunts with lots of pics and memories!

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I was trying to make Africa comparable to my home in Sitka AK. I was planning on being there for a while and thought I could apply or buy tags for a reasonable price, and not need an outfitter. Looks like I am out of luck and I appreciate the response, Honestly though I was not looking for the occasional outfitted hunt safari hunt(the maybe one day) I was and still plan on Being in rural Ethiopia and was hoping to be able to hunt for less than a 1000.usd a year. I suppose if everyone could to afford to hunt in starving Ethiopia, there would be no game left.

Thanks for the detailed response!
Sitka?? I lived there a couple of times as a kid. My dad was in the tugboat business and traded Sampson T&B out of one of their boats and we moved to Sitka to tow with it in '66 and '68 when I was a sophomore at Sitka High. Beautiful area.

Welcome to AH, you are correct if the game was super cheap there would be none left. If it pays it stays for the most part in Africa. There are plenty of affordable cull hunts in Namibia and RSA. Do get some hunting in though, you will regret it otherwise.

Welcome to AH, elhewman !

Welcome to AH.:welcome:

Once you get to Ethiopia check things out. I believe you will have to have a resident permit/visa to work and live there long term. In a most countries this allows you to hunt at the same price as the locals. PM Anbessa Gedai who is a member here. He lived in Ethiopia and hunted there, he should be able to give you some help. As an example in Tanzania a resident permit allows you to hunt most common antelope for under $50 each.

All the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross