Is it all right to question and post comments on the forum pages? On hunt offers, etc

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
This may sound like a stupid question....given the nature of forums. But I think it is perfectly normal to ask questions or probe for answers. I have seen offers that where not very clear. People telling everyone they had the right to an area? This animal to hunt or a price that was unclear. If everything was clear in the first place...there would be no questions. I have seen a lot of misrepresentation over the years. And if some can put a fire out before it gets going...I'm all for it.....better that...than someone going on a bad hunt.

Now do people dislike certain hunts? Is there a right that they not post? I think as long as they are being polite...then the moderator should let it go. There is always going to be critisms and critics out there.

I think there is a fine line that has to be walked. Thoughtful questions to help clarify details should be welcomed. Sometimes an outfitter or agent forgets certain details unintentionally. Questions to clarify these hazy areas should be asked and answered.

Critical posts and comments "you shouldn't shoot xyz animals" or "that area sucks" are inappropriate and uncalled for. That is my opinion anyways.

This is what forums are for to participate its not an offer placed in a magazine where you need to contact the seller to get more information.

What I love about offering hunts on forums is that if you are away for a day or two or sleeping due to timezone there are a lot of knowledgeable people who sometimes answer for you and for most of the time they are correct.
This keeps the offer alive and face it its difficult to hide behind facts on the internet.

Enysse I think it completely appropriate to question posts. The value of the forum lies in the quality of the information posted. Politely challenging questionable or flat out incorrect posts improves the quality of the forum.

Appropriate..I think might be an understatement. It is totally necessary. I have now seen a forum user post shady deals here and on another forum. If info is not up to scratch, the forum users have a right to question the individual, and as was proved , the truth will be uncovered.
Also agree fully with Frederik. The access that users have directly to the oufitters are 1 or 2 days away. I guess this also makes it easier for fly-by-nights to post their deals.
But to get back to the topic, if the deal is unclear or suspicious, then ask questions. If an outfitter has nothing to hide, then he should have all the answers.

"Is it all right to question and post comments on the forum pages? On hunt offers, etc "

I think Jerome is the only one that can actually answer this question. I for one hope it is ok as I think we learn a lot about an outfitter by being able to interact with them.

By nature, a forum is a place where people have an open discussion of ideas. By that definition, it is right to question everything.

forum . a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers...lately on here a few individuals think they own there post...literally...that's my two cents.

I think we all learn from posts...about the individual and the outfitter...how they handle themselves. Yes, they may be different in person. But I think you can gleam a lot from the forums.

I must admit...I don't think we have to beat up every outfitter that offers a lion hunt in SA. Those hunts are legal. And I think they serve a purpose. There are never going to be enough lions to meet the supply. And practically every outfitter in SA, offers one in one way or another. Enough on that topic.

I like the way some outfitters do there posts....Spiral Horn Safari in particular. Leeukop Safari and Ibexhunter do a great job too. Some hunts are definitely harder to post.

By nature, a forum is a place where people have an open discussion of ideas. By that definition, it is right to question everything.

Yes, but we have to remember there is a difference between a public and a private forum. this is not a Democracy, It is a privately held forum. I take part in many forums and they all have there own rules. As long as you follow the rules you are allowed to post there.

Some forums have advertising rules, classified rules, political talk rules, etc. Like I said, its really not up for a vote. It is only ok if the owner of the site says its ok regardless how any on here may feel.

Yes, but we have to remember there is a difference between a public and a private forum. this is not a Democracy, It is a privately held forum. I take part in many forums and they all have there own rules. As long as you follow the rules you are allowed to post there.

Some forums have advertising rules, classified rules, political talk rules, etc. Like I said, its really not up for a vote. It is only ok if the owner of the site says its ok regardless how any on here may feel.
Totally agree with you. Absolutely 100 percent.

In addition to rules, I'd also expect a respectful level of decorum from participants. There's no need to place the private entity (Jerome) in either an awkward position or where liability may come into play. He does this community a huge favor by providing the forum and should be protected for doing so.

However, I'd still hope folks like me who visit the forum to learn can have access to all the collective wisdom represented here. It would be my sincere hope that if I responded to a post from, for example, an outfitter advertising a shady deal, someone here would take it upon themselves to use the PM function and warn me a bit.

Just because a forum has rules and decorum doesn't mean it has to exclude all open forms of discussion. Some discussions just need to be more private than others.

davidarizpe, huntings the drug, we are all addicted and we love it. If we were'nt we would not be on this forum.
Fredrik, I there is more collective knowledge here than in any one book you can read on hunting Africa.
Enysee, I agree, if you don't want honest answers and opinions, don't ask the question.

Guys, I have not been a member very long, but, even when you guys disagree it's still civil, appologies are made and you keep talking. I think that is one thing the shooting sports and hunters have that no other sport does. Gotta love hunting, Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg