Is Giraffe hunting for me?

I always ask a client, where do you shoot a giraffe? They usually answer shoulder....I always answer as close to the road as possible......
Yes it is a handful when they hit ground had to use winch to set set up for pics.

Don't worry Bill we had a good laugh at Jan too. "This is Africa" became the catch phrase for our trip. Ha ha

Then you got to see how much fun we had. When jan did that we had no idea he was going to do it. The only thing we all could do was laugh. I am glad Pieter shared the video with people to see.

To me with the cost of giraffe it did not make sense not to mount it there. I will have about 3000 into the mount and tanned backskin doing it over there.

The form was like 1300 by itself w/shipping and 50 for eyes and there is a lot of work to be done with African tans, used over 5 gallons of glue, giraffes are no cheap mount.

im hearing you there ,mate
in Australia we were quoted at over five k , if it was tanned , with out the base....

Reactions: BMD
Then you got to see how much fun we had. When jan did that we had no idea he was going to do it. The only thing we all could do was laugh. I am glad Pieter shared the video with people to see.

To me with the cost of giraffe it did not make sense not to mount it there. I will have about 3000 into the mount and tanned backskin doing it over there.

I wanted the form we used which is really almost half life size with part of legs. I am not a fan of the work over there. I am still working on the giraffe skull from the smell of those stinking balls they pack with assuming for bugs but the giraffe skull is still in shop airing out.

im hearing you there ,mate
in Australia we were quoted at over five k , if it was tanned , with out the base....

Most places here are 6500 to 8500 including tan which is 1500 here but I would tan there if you want no slippage due to the thick hide. 50/50 shot if they salt and ship like they did he rest of my safari. But it is an eye catcher and great conversation piece for sure

And how much to ship a box big enough for the giraffe?

And how much to ship a box big enough for the giraffe?

Not sure how much to ship yet but I have so many other animals that will be packed around it the cost will still be cheaper then having it done here. If it was the only animal in the crate the saving would be very small.

If I would not have seen someone post about relive taxidermy on the site I to would have had the work done here in the states. When I looked at there work in person at the shop I feel great about letting them do the work.

The next one that my boy hunts will be made into a rug if we get lucky and get another one I think. But who knows after seeing mine mounted maybe his will be mounted also and sit across the room from the one I got.

Bookends would be awesome. I will look at their work, I am thinking shipping box will be one heavy and long crate it took three of us to carry mount inside, will be interested to here the total.

I will let you know will be about 5 to 6 month till they ship. It will add to the cost for sure with weight but there will be like 8 to 10 animals packed around the giraffe and then another crate with a lioness mount and another 6 or 8 animals around her. I just know the giraffe is not going to add 3000 to the shipping cost over what the crate would cost either anyway.

Relive has a facebook page that's shows mounts from the last say 4 or 5 years I believe. They are one of the newer companies doing work in SA. There work to me was very good and up to the standards done here in the states. There are a few shops in the states they may do a little better work but to me the difference is not work the cost. I would say paul took SA taxidermy work to the next level. The shop was clean and well kept and all the work looked better in person then even the pictures showed on facbook. The reference I called have had there mounts for 3 years already with no problems.

That's good. Will be interested to hear with the giraffe tanned and the skull added to the other 9 plains game my shipment was 2586.00, I did have skulls cut for shoulder mounts instead of full skulls to save a little. I just hope to get the smell out of giraffe skull

Brickburn said it better than I coulda.

I've taken 3, with a 30.06 headshot, a 416 Rigby behind the shoulder and dead in the shoulder broadside with a crossbow.

The crossbow was extremely satisfying with about a 40 yard run before the big bull crashed!

To me, they are the best bang for the buck in hunting anywhere.
What crossbow did you use and what was the setup/ broadhead that you used? I think it sounds like a great hunt! I would love to do it someday and as I'm interested in archery I would like to know more. Thanks..

Not sure yet we are looking at couple hunts she is also interested in red stag.

Nice buff in pic Royal27

I hope I will get a great offer on a Giraffe bull next time I go to South Africa as I really want to shoot one with my bow.

Reactions: BMD
Nice buff in pic Royal27

Thank you sir!!!!

I couldn't be prouder of him. He was the buffalo I was meant to have. :)

I am going to have Martin Pieters take me after one next year. That is of course if we have time after getting a leopard and lion in the salt first! I am not sure on taxidermy yet. I do want to have a unique custom sofa built with giraffe skin for my office. I'll have to determine how many square feet I need to accomplish that first then see if there is enough left to do a neck mount. I love giraffe that is why I want to hunt them!!! This is what non hunters do not understand. I've visited zoos, game farms, and fed giraffes carrots by hand. It's all about the pursuit and that is what makes my heart race.
Regards,
Philip

I am going to have Martin Pieters take me after one next year. That is of course if we have time after getting a leopard and lion in the salt first! I am not sure on taxidermy yet. I do want to have a unique custom sofa built with giraffe skin for my office. I'll have to determine how many square feet I need to accomplish that first then see if there is enough left to do a neck mount. I love giraffe that is why I want to hunt them!!! This is what non hunters do not understand. I've visited zoos, game farms, and fed giraffes carrots by hand. It's all about the pursuit and that is what makes my heart race.
Regards,
Philip

Pretty sure that Giraffe will be down before the Lion or Leopard. You will need bait!!

karroo taxidermy have a pretty neat array of furniture , that you can have made with your giraffe back skin .
check out there website

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross