Macs B

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
I stole this from a poster on a forum. It strikes me as a pretty good wrap up to a lot of the rhetoric you read in internet forums.

What I have learned on internet hunting forums:

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place to get a steak dinner? is…you really want pork chops.

2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.

3. The laws of physics do not apply to firearms in that there is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges and certain cartridges are so powerful that their kinetic energy can knock a big game animal off its feet but not knock the shooter who fired the cartridge off their feet.

4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified so it can carry at least 5 down.

5. While a floor plate and a detachable box magazine both use mechanical latches, only the floor plate latch is reliable regardless of the fact that almost every modern military rifle in the world uses a detachable box magazine including those chambered in 50 BMG.

6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact that it is the basis of the US Marine Corp M40 sniper rifle with no changes to the action and the choice of more military sniper units and law enforcement agencies than any other rifle.

7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR, and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting game that can shoot back are all PF actions.

8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (despite the fact most safaris take place in the winter) but not in TX or in CA.

9. It is not the size of the ding in the gun's finish that matters but whether or not the ding occurred in the safe or in the field because safe dings are okay but field dings are worse.

10. In general, those who have time to make close to a 1000 posts a year on a hunting forum, know more about hunting and shooting than people who make their living in the hunting and shooting industry and have typically spent 150 days in the field or at the range each year for the last two decades.

Thank you! Number 2, in particular has driven me to distraction over the years. Just last week, two of our local nimrods were in near mortal apoplexy ridiculing a relative newbie over the inadequacy of his new 7x57 (lovely little post war CZ) for anything larger than ground hogs while extolling the virtues of the .280 or even better the 7mm STW. I suggested that if either should volunteer to stand 200m down range we could try out the little mauser and a .280, and he could report on the perceived difference of impact.

Macs B, wonderful post.

It would be great if more people would read and pay attention to those 10 'truths'. They strike straight to the heart of many discussions . . . . and with his reference to number 2 'Red Leg' points out an example that drives me nuts also.

Macs B, this is a wonderful post.

I especially like #9. I've never understood why some guys get so upset over dings in their guns (or bows). I don't go out looking for something to ding up my equipment, but when it gets dinged I consider it a "badge of honor". Everyone of those dings has a story to go with it - and that is what hunting is all about. Thanks for the great post.

nd

Macs B

This is great! Thanks for spending the time posting it.

When reading a series of posts on a forum about some insignificant bit of minutia, I remember the old theological question: "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin...?"

- browningbbr

Mike,

No doubt you authored it very well and is full of hilarity .

Thanks

monish

All,

I am the author of the list. Glad I could give you all a laugh.

Good hunting.

Mike

Mike,
I can't thank you enough for cutting through the BS with that list. I read it over and was struck by how many times I've heard those very arguements. I hope you don't take offense to ripping off your post, but I for one thought it was exceptional.
Macs

Great list Mike and thanks for posting it Mac a lot more people should read it. Bob

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the post I love it!

I stole this from a poster on a forum. It strikes me as a pretty good wrap up to a lot of the rhetoric you read in internet forums.

What I have learned on internet hunting forums:

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place to get a steak dinner? is…you really want pork chops.

2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.

3. The laws of physics do not apply to firearms in that there is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges and certain cartridges are so powerful that their kinetic energy can knock a big game animal off its feet but not knock the shooter who fired the cartridge off their feet.

4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified so it can carry at least 5 down.

5. While a floor plate and a detachable box magazine both use mechanical latches, only the floor plate latch is reliable regardless of the fact that almost every modern military rifle in the world uses a detachable box magazine including those chambered in 50 BMG.

6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact that it is the basis of the US Marine Corp M40 sniper rifle with no changes to the action and the choice of more military sniper units and law enforcement agencies than any other rifle.

7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR, and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting game that can shoot back are all PF actions.

8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (despite the fact most safaris take place in the winter) but not in TX or in CA.

9. It is not the size of the ding in the gun's finish that matters but whether or not the ding occurred in the safe or in the field because safe dings are okay but field dings are worse.

10. In general, those who have time to make close to a 1000 posts a year on a hunting forum, know more about hunting and shooting than people who make their living in the hunting and shooting industry and have typically spent 150 days in the field or at the range each year for the last two decades.
@Macs B
And what about mine is better than yours no matter what proof you can show that it's not.
A bit like Trump saying he won the presidential election despite what the votes show I won and I will prove it.
All good point mate.
Bob

Thank you! Number 2, in particular has driven me to distraction over the years. Just last week, two of our local nimrods were in near mortal apoplexy ridiculing a relative newbie over the inadequacy of his new 7x57 (lovely little post war CZ) for anything larger than ground hogs while extolling the virtues of the .280 or even better the 7mm STW. I suggested that if either should volunteer to stand 200m down range we could try out the little mauser and a .280, and he could report on the perceived difference of impact.
@Red Leg
Did he take you up on the offer.
A bit like my son and i at the local range and 2 blokes arguing over what to take to Africa for plains game. My son said a 308 would be fine to whit the basically laughed and said go away.
Oh how they changed their attitude when he showed them what he shot in Namibia and quietly walked off leaving 2 very red faced gents.
Bob

@Red Leg
Did he take you up on the offer.
A bit like my son and i at the local range and 2 blokes arguing over what to take to Africa for plains game. My son said a 308 would be fine to whit the basically laughed and said go away.
Oh how they changed their attitude when he showed them what he shot in Namibia and quietly walked off leaving 2 very red faced gents.
Bob
Great work, That's all it takes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you