Internet Truth?

Discussion in 'Humorous Jokes, Stories or Pictures' started by Macs B, May 7, 2010.

1. Macs B

Macs B AH Veteran

My Photos:
    I stole this from a poster on a forum. It strikes me as a pretty good wrap up to a lot of the rhetoric you read in internet forums.

What I have learned on internet hunting forums:

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place to get a steak dinner? is…you really want pork chops.

2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.

3. The laws of physics do not apply to firearms in that there is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges and certain cartridges are so powerful that their kinetic energy can knock a big game animal off its feet but not knock the shooter who fired the cartridge off their feet.

4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified so it can carry at least 5 down.

5. While a floor plate and a detachable box magazine both use mechanical latches, only the floor plate latch is reliable regardless of the fact that almost every modern military rifle in the world uses a detachable box magazine including those chambered in 50 BMG.

6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact that it is the basis of the US Marine Corp M40 sniper rifle with no changes to the action and the choice of more military sniper units and law enforcement agencies than any other rifle.

7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR, and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting game that can shoot back are all PF actions.

8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (despite the fact most safaris take place in the winter) but not in TX or in CA.

9. It is not the size of the ding in the gun's finish that matters but whether or not the ding occurred in the safe or in the field because safe dings are okay but field dings are worse.

10. In general, those who have time to make close to a 1000 posts a year on a hunting forum, know more about hunting and shooting than people who make their living in the hunting and shooting industry and have typically spent 150 days in the field or at the range each year for the last two decades.
  2. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada
    Thank you! Number 2, in particular has driven me to distraction over the years. Just last week, two of our local nimrods were in near mortal apoplexy ridiculing a relative newbie over the inadequacy of his new 7x57 (lovely little post war CZ) for anything larger than ground hogs while extolling the virtues of the .280 or even better the 7mm STW. I suggested that if either should volunteer to stand 200m down range we could try out the little mauser and a .280, and he could report on the perceived difference of impact.
  3. Skyline

Skyline AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Life Member, MLOA, DU, MWF, MTA
    Well I hope this gets read by a lot of people who should stop and think a bit. LOL So true.
  4. Big5

Big5 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
    Macs B, wonderful post.

It would be great if more people would read and pay attention to those 10 'truths'. They strike straight to the heart of many discussions . . . . and with his reference to number 2 'Red Leg' points out an example that drives me nuts also.
  5. ndbwhnter

ndbwhnter AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Macs B, this is a wonderful post.

I especially like #9. I've never understood why some guys get so upset over dings in their guns (or bows). I don't go out looking for something to ding up my equipment, but when it gets dinged I consider it a "badge of honor". Everyone of those dings has a story to go with it - and that is what hunting is all about. Thanks for the great post.

nd
  6. browningbbr

browningbbr AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Northeast Wisconsin Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Macs B

This is great! Thanks for spending the time posting it.

When reading a series of posts on a forum about some insignificant bit of minutia, I remember the old theological question: "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin...?"

- browningbbr
  7. milford

milford AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    fish and game Sci DU
    Hunted:
    USA Canada south africa
    lol thank you that made my day
  8. Mike Dettorre

Mike Dettorre New Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Zimbabwe, Argentina, USA
    All,

I am the author of the list. Glad I could give you all a laugh.

Good hunting.

Mike
  9. monish

monish AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    AfricaHunting.com
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
    Mike,

No doubt you authored it very well and is full of hilarity .

Thanks

monish
  10. Macs B

Macs B AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Mike,
    I can't thank you enough for cutting through the BS with that list. I read it over and was struck by how many times I've heard those very arguements. I hope you don't take offense to ripping off your post, but I for one thought it was exceptional.
    Macs
  11. Mike Dettorre

Mike Dettorre New Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Zimbabwe, Argentina, USA
    Macs,

No problem, plagerism is the biggest form of flattery.

Good hunting,

Mike
  12. Leeukop Safaris

Leeukop Safaris AH Veteran

My Photos:
    :clap: Great post Mike. I love it!!
  13. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Great list Mike and thanks for posting it Mac a lot more people should read it. Bob
  14. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Hello Mike,

Thanks for the post I love it!
  15. Kiwi505

Kiwi505 AH Veteran

My Photos: