INTERESTING IMPACT SHOT ON KUDU - Filmed by HUNT Productions

filmmaker

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Guys (and girls?), I've hunted a lot, but I've never seen this. Check out the impact shot on this video. The entrance wound was caliber size, I can vouch for that. I filmed the hunt personally. Shot with a 30-06 at about 150 yards.

Here's the video. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it a great video. I have seen about the same thing when I shot my Burchell Zebra in the Limpopo a couple years back...with a 338 Win and Nosler Partitions. I think you have to hit the heart or some vein or artery just right.

Strange impact shot

Actually, I only "shot" it with the camera. My client, Tom Gerrity did the rifle work. Anyway, know what you mean :). When we went up to the Kudu, it looked like you had walked with a garden hose spraying blood on either side of the track. Didn't think there could be that much blood in an animal!

very good film work...

Gert, when you poke a hole on a big high pressure pump that's what happens. Most of the time we never get to see it.
Good steady rest you had for "your video" in order to get details and focus at that distance.
Nice job.
That was a nice trophy and certain confirmation of a short follow up.

very good film work...

Thank you for the compliment! Its nice to know that others also appreciate your effort. Hope I can bring you guys lots more good stuff. I will be posting some more clips soon, just got to get the edits finished:). Filmed a magic drop shot on an impala last week.

Gert, when you poke a hole on a big high pressure pump that's what happens. Most of the time we never get to see it.
Good steady rest you had for "your video" in order to get details and focus at that distance.
Nice job.
That was a nice trophy and certain confirmation of a short follow up.

Never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. First time I've seen it on film though and I think I've filmed well over a hundred impact shots by now. Also, thanks for the compliment. I'll never forget my frozen backside on that hunt. We waited for nearly two hours sitting motionless on nothing other than good old frozen mother earth! BTW, the steady rest is called a pair of shooting sticks of my own design. I've found that tripods don't work when you're hunting. Too cumbersome and heavy. The hardest part is not to flinch when the rifle goes off next to you. Ouch, my ears! I truly hate muzzle-brakes:p! Would give anything for a set of those dinky "Walker's game Ears" to protect my hearing!

Ouch, my ears! I truly hate muzzle-brakes:p! Would give anything for a set of those dinky "Walker's game Ears" to protect my hearing!

Gert, there are some very good electronic ear muffs that cut out bangs but enhance other sounds. On a day as cold as that one they'd have the additional bonus of keeping you warm...

Gert, there are some very good electronic ear muffs that cut out bangs but enhance other sounds. On a day as cold as that one they'd have the additional bonus of keeping you warm...
Yip. Know about them and actually have a pair, but they are too big on my ears and get in the way of the camera. I use a shoulder mount camera and the headphones makes it difficult for me to get my eye comfortably behind the viewfinder. I want to get the "hearing aid" style game ears. Has anyone used them and are they any good? My problem is that I need to hear what the PH is saying to the client, but I don't want to damage my hearing, hence the electronic thingy's that amplify ambient noise, but cuts off muzzle blast. You're right though, the headphones do keep your ears warm!

Did you find the projectile ? If so where ? Were you able to track the path of the projectile through the animal while the skinning was performed ?

The angle of the shot seemed very shallow. I originally thought you may have hit the kudu equivilent of a femoral artery. That, or the shot hit the left shoulder and then angled to the right through the lower chest.

If the client hit the lung/heart I can believe the fountain of blood. The same thing happened with a large camel I shot this June.

Hi Filmaker

This is just another great hunt I admire you and your client!!!
Keep up the good work!!

Kudu impact shot

Did you find the projectile ? If so where ? Were you able to track the path of the projectile through the animal while the skinning was performed ?

The angle of the shot seemed very shallow. I originally thought you may have hit the kudu equivilent of a femoral artery. That, or the shot hit the left shoulder and then angled to the right through the lower chest.

If the client hit the lung/heart I can believe the fountain of blood. The same thing happened with a large camel I shot this June.

I think you've just about got it bang on with the shallow angle. Unfortunately, I was filming another client in the group when they skinned the animal, so I never saw the wound channel. Bullet passed through as far as I can remember. Anyway, it made great footage!

Hi Filmaker

This is just another great hunt I admire you and your client!!!
Keep up the good work!!

Thank you most kindly. I hope that the 2012 season will bring a lot more that I can share with everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg